ESU = Qualifying

Started by The Arsenal, February 28, 2007, 02:20:56 PM

Sobottka

Quote from: jryer on March 27, 2007, 10:28:20 PM
How is you gridding in front of me because you paid first a proper gauge either? It's a suggested systemic change. It MIGHT make for better grid order.
qualifying is great, i have no problem with it... why dont you recognise the difference between a q session and a practice session?
   and the current rules are just that... rules (not a gauge), the same for everone, love them or hate them its fair across the board, you decide when you register and its not my problem if you cant afford it. taking practice session times and making them qualifying times is not fair because its not a proper q session. it has to be done right, just like the races.
i agree with daves proposal. grid by points for pre-reg and order of entry for post-reg.
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Sobottka

and if you qualify during practice... when do you practice?
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Super Dave

I never noticed a difference other than someone recording a lap time for a position.  Otherwise, it is the same. 
Super Dave

jryer

Quote from: robsob on March 28, 2007, 01:13:17 PM
qualifying is great, i have no problem with it... why dont you recognise the difference between a q session and a practice session?
   and the current rules are just that... rules (not a gauge), the same for everone, love them or hate them its fair across the board, you decide when you register and its not my problem if you cant afford it. taking practice session times and making them qualifying times is not fair because its not a proper q session. it has to be done right, just like the races.
i agree with daves proposal. grid by points for pre-reg and order of entry for post-reg.

Currently there is no equitible GAUGE to determine grid position. Money is determining grid position and that's definitely NOT equitible. And money doesn't automatically make a rider fast. All one has to do is look at Larry Pegram's ultra expensive Honda and see he rarely grids in the top 10 AMA Superbike. (Sorry Larry!)

jryer

Quote from: Super Dave on March 28, 2007, 07:13:13 AM
I liked ULGP qualifying.  I have nothing against it.  I like ASRA and the AMA for having qualifying.

If you had to choose...

- Grids based on date of entry

- Grids based on points

I'd like to see the choices (in order) as:

- Grids based on lap times

- Grids based on points

jryer

Quote from: Super Dave on March 28, 2007, 07:03:17 PM
I never noticed a difference other than someone recording a lap time for a position.  Otherwise, it is the same. 

Yep. I've noticed no difference either.

Super Dave

Quote from: jryer on March 28, 2007, 08:40:56 PM
I'd like to see the choices (in order) as:

- Grids based on lap times

- Grids based on points
Agreed.  But when the timing systems go down, there still needs to be a reliable way to make a grid too.  Back to points or back to order of entry?  I'd rather it be points, but that's me.
Super Dave

tzracer

I would prefer gridding by points.

There is really no safe, fair way to have qualifying for all classes at a club level weekend. Too many classes, too may riders. What about multiple class entries?

Any time I had qualifying, the only bikes on the track were the ones qualifying for that class.

Dave, how would you have liked ULGP qualifying if they had used your times during practice as opposed to your own qualifying session?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

Good question. 

For me, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  I don't have depth perception, so, for me, a routine is very important.  I try to get my rythym going as soon as I can.  Traffic can be a problem, but that's the was it is.

I have a thread going in the Rules section.  I'd like to see a rule that at least has grids based on points.  If you've got input, I'd like to have it.  I haven't submitted it, but I'd like to get it developed first.  Obviously, I'm looking to 2008.
Super Dave

jryer

Quote from: Super Dave on March 29, 2007, 08:48:01 PM
Good question. 

For me, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  I don't have depth perception, so, for me, a routine is very important.  I try to get my rythym going as soon as I can.  Traffic can be a problem, but that's the was it is.

I have a thread going in the Rules section.  I'd like to see a rule that at least has grids based on points.  If you've got input, I'd like to have it.  I haven't submitted it, but I'd like to get it developed first.  Obviously, I'm looking to 2008.

I can live with the points approach, but the first race of the year is still problematic, especially for racers who can't make the initial race, which brings me back to lap times.

Ducmarc

don't worry we all race each other every month in the same classes with the same bikes i think we do a good job policing are selves. here in Fla the transponder is a welcome addition now the next step is qualifying Henry is a professional racer if we approach him civilized like. he may do it . the only thing is he won't get a big pile of money in December from the shootout guys

jryer

Quote from: Ducmarc on May 04, 2007, 05:06:52 PM
don't worry we all race each other every month in the same classes with the same bikes i think we do a good job policing are selves. here in Fla the transponder is a welcome addition now the next step is qualifying Henry is a professional racer if we approach him civilized like. he may do it . the only thing is he won't get a big pile of money in December from the shootout guys

yep agreed. cheating is not going to be the problem people are making it out to be.