Got a Trailer But.....

Started by stumpy, February 01, 2003, 11:29:27 AM

stumpy

Now I need Something to pull it :-/.,.I found a really good deal on a Chevy conversion van high top with a bed and all that. I figure it would save on hotels or camping in the rain but might get hot in the middle of the summer I Just wanted to get advice to see what you guys do about camping/hotels. OH it has 107,000 miles is that alot for a 350 v8??
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

ice

I had a Chevy 350 V8 conversion that did an OK job at towing, but it really depends on your trailer.

If you have an open trailer, you should do fine.
If you have an enclosed trailer, the wind resistance will probably give you a hard time.  Limit yourself to 60 mph max.

You absolutely do not want to run the van in overdrive as you will cook the transmission.

Some Chevy vans come with a tow package.  The transmission, radiatior and oil cooler are all beefed up for towing.  This is what you really want if you can find one.  The standard 350 will do an OK job if you don't have a choice.

107,000 miles isn't really a big deal for a Chevy 350 as long as the scheduled maintenance was done routinely.

Regarding hotels.....

We always find the closet hotel with Jacuzzis...  As riders from the Midwest, we are often cold (It snows at some of our races) and sore (We crash alot) at the end of the day.
Regardless of weather, I find that a hotel always provides better rest than camping out in the van.  I am better prepared and more alert the following day which leads to better performance and safer racing..

Woofentino Pugrossi

WHat conversion manufacturer? I built Geneva, FOntan and Delavan Conversions for 8 yrs. 95% of teh vans we got were equipped with the trailer pkg.

Go look at teh van, test drive it. Take it to a car wash and hose the hell out of teh roof area. Then go inside with a flashlight, open up the cabinets in teh roof and look for leakage. Biggest areas they can leak are in the corners of teh front. Also check the running boards. The brackets tend to loosen over time and use. Remember, conversion vans generally are built buy people making $8.50/hr. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

stumpy

It is made by geneva and sure enough the running boards were a little loose...The car wash idea is great. I will be towing a 6x10 closed And I found out it does not have a tranny cooler. I am in Marquette Michigan and when you said Jacuzzi my eyes lit up! Im sure a shower (and not at hotel Blackhawk ;))feels pretty good too, I can just use the Company  truck... Thanks for the insite and always such A quick response!            ONLY 2 MONTHS TO GO!
www.teamstumpyracing.com

EX#996

If you can find a used motorhome (get one of the trader magazines to find one), that is the way to go.  Plus as long as it has facilities, you can write of the interest on the loan as a second home mortgage interest (provided you don't already have a second home).

A motor home should be able to pull that trailer, but be prepared if you have anything less than a V-10 or a diesel.  The V-8's seem to weez a bit.

Being able to stay at the track (although jacuzzi's are nice), there is nothing better.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Eric Kelcher

Had a good friend use a conversion van for a couple of years he rigged a window unit so it fit into the rear window. When he got to the track he took the two screws that held lock for window popped it all the way open and set the AC in. worked real well.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Super Dave

I use a shuttle bus to pull my 18ft auto hauler.  

1996 Ford Power Stroke Diesel.  $3500.  I can't go wrong.  Some are more expensive, but for the money, it was the best deal I have found.

http://www.used-bus.com/index.html
Super Dave

Jeff

From a guy who bought a chevy conversion van to sleep in and pull with, I offer my comments...

I would not do this again.  I bought the 1/2 ton fullsize van with the 5.7L V8.  It didn't have a tow package on it, but I was towing a small 5x8 trailer.

It runs great, fits us great (me, wife, 2 kids & a dog) for travelling, but SUCKS for sleeping.

I just bought a new 7x23 trailer which will be sectioned into living and garage so I can comfortably camp instead of sleeping in the van.  

Now I have to worry about towing...  I just put in a new transmission cooler (this weekend), and the electric brake controls.

I'm a bit concerned about the life of the transmission with towing around 5k lbs of trailer with gear.  

The van is great for lugging the kids places in great comfort, but for towing and for race purposes, I'd MUCH rather have a 3/4 or full-ton 4 door truck.  

If I were to buy right now, I'd buy a 2wd 4dr F350 diesel.  But that's just me...  (and my rich wishes)

If you have more than 1-2 people sleeping in the van, you won't have room.  Find a truck...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

stumpy

Did it suck for sleeping in because of your size? I am only 5'8" and my wife is a little shorter, So I figured it would be fine. It has the electric fold down button for the bed its acually a pretty good size. Did your van get hot at night? I figured there would be a way for a.c. but the people pitting next to me might hate the genertator...no?  Man I hate these HARD desicions. I hardly slept last night thinking about it awwwwww ::)......I apreciate all the advice!
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Super Dave

I'm about 5'8".  I started using vans in 1988.  They are ok to sleep in, if you're a hard charger and don't mind.  When no one is paying my hotels at Daytona, I usually stay in the van so that I can have tire money.  It can get hot.  Then the bugs are usually a problem after that.

Where are you getting a trailer, Jeff?  LOL! ???

As for diesel trucks...

For me, I always want someplace where I can sleep or put the bike in with out the trailer.  Personal preference on that one.  Van's fit the bill.  
Super Dave

Jeff

QuoteDid it suck for sleeping in because of your size? I am only 5'8" and my wife is a little shorter, So I figured it would be fine. It has the electric fold down button for the bed its acually a pretty good size.

I'm 6'2, but my wife is 5'3.  It was pretty small for me.  Plus, with 2 kids and a dog on the floor, there's no room to get out without someone yapping that you stepped on them ;-)

QuoteDid your van get hot at night? I figured there would be a way for a.c. but the people pitting next to me might hate the genertator...no?  

But of course...  It was hot in the summer and FRIGID in the spring/fall.  However, in the spring/fall, you heat it up, go to sleep, wake up about 3AM freezing, start the van, crank on the heat and wake up about 6 with it 105 degrees :-)

I never used external AC.  Used a couple of fans, but no AC...

QuoteMan I hate these HARD desicions. I hardly slept last night thinking about it awwwwww ::)......I apreciate all the advice!

Well, at least you'll know the pros & cons...  If I were to go with a van right now, I'd just buy a 1 ton cargo van for about 15k brand new...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Jeff

QuoteWhere are you getting a trailer, Jeff?  LOL! ???

Sorry Dave, forgot to pimp you!

Hey, if anyone is looking for a trailer, they don't call him "SUPER" Dave for nothing!  Super Dave spent a great deal of time (and continues to) in making sure I get the right trailer for my needs.  Recommending sensible upgrades, and ensuring that it will all work.

If you need a trailer, TALK TO DAVE!

Tell him Jeffy sent you  ;D ;D ;D

BTW, here's the layout I am using...
http://www.cbr600rr.com/pages/trailer.htm

Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest