News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Columbia

Started by the_weggie_man, February 01, 2003, 10:01:46 AM

the_weggie_man

Please take a moment to remember those brave souls aboard the space shuttle Columbia in your prayers.

Our accomplishments in racing pale compared to theirs in space and science.

:'(

SliderPhoto

It's a sad day. :'(

God speed!

ice

I have been fortunate enough to witness the miracle of a Space Shuttle launch at night, and I cannot begin to describe the incredible awe and sense of human accomplishment that I was left with.

Darkness was completely vanquished by the raw power of man and machine.  The night turned instantly to day as the flames from the shuttle burned brighter than the sun.....

This was by, a factor of 1000, the most impressive experience I have personally had in my lifetime.

To me, space travel is by far, mankind's greatest technological accomplishment and I would recommend that all that are able take the time to witness a launch.....you will leave a changed person.

To all the men and women that have dared to go where noone has gone before........may God Bless your travels into to the next great unknown.....

MightyDuc Racing

We actually watch the shuttle from our house when it goes up.  It's amazing that we can see it since we are 4 hours away by car, and often it provides us a sonic boom upon it's return.  This is a terrible day for their families and our country, yet we should feel a bit blessed as it has been such an incredibly long time since such an instance has occurred.  I say Bravo to the space program for all of their advances and hope everybody chooses to celebrate our fallen heroes' lives as opposed to dwelling on their tradgic ending.  At least they died doing what they loved the most!  Godspeed and all of my family's love and well wishes to their families and friends!  
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

EX#996

:'(      :'(      :'(
Paul and Dawn Buxton

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote At least they died doing what they loved the most!  

That's it in a nutshell.  We do something dangerous on a journy of personal discovery.  Astronauts probably take their risks for many of the same personal reasons, but their work benifits the entire world.  It's sad that they died, but it's still wonderful that they got to go in the first place.  I'd take a seat on the next shuttle in a heartbeat.  No, I wouldn't.  How many people have worked their whole lives for that seat?  I guess I'd step aside...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

God speed...

I've seen several rocket launches, some while at Daytona, one in Cocoa Beach when I was on vaction in high school.

But in the morning before the AHRMA races at Daytona in 2002, I was walking out of our hotel lobby a few seconds after the shuttle was launched.  On the surface the sun had not risen so it was relatively dark.  The sky was clear and dark blue.  As the shuttle got up a couple thousand feet, it hit the sunlight and the rocket trails became white and yellow with the sun's light also shining on the craft itself...

It was really impressive.  I was in awe that day, and to this day... 8)
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

I witnessed a shuttle launch while attending the R.O.C. at Daytona in the fall of '98 (or was it '99?). It was in the middle of the day and they actually stopped all the races for several minutes and instructed everyone which way to look. Then they played the live countdown over the P.A. system while everyone waited. I was lucky enough to have my video camera with me and I taped the launch from my vantage point at the track. It indeed was an awesome sight, made the whole thing seem so much more real than just seeing it on TV.
     I hope that we continue on in our space program as soon as it is safe to go again (after hopefully identifying a problem). I agree that they put their lives on the line for the advancement of all mankind, and in doing so they are rewarded with an incredible opportunity to be in space.
     Thanks to the astronauts who risked it all, and paid the ultimate price. God speed to each of you, and may God Bless your families.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96