News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Sv Ignition Removal

Started by EM JAY, February 19, 2007, 10:28:54 AM

EM JAY

Has anyone done this and if so can you give me a break down of the wires?

Thanks...
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

grasshopper

I have not. But you will probably get more responses on the SVrider forum or the WERA board.

Post links to threads you start.

L8brake731

S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

EM JAY

Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

eeky

If what you are asking is how to remove the ignition switch you need to connect a 100 ohm resistor between the orange with red tracer wire and the black with white tracer wire.

The new switch goes between the red and orange wires.

Ed Key

grasshopper

lbk

Em Jay, I don't recommend this I had it on one of my bikes and Nick if you remember that weekend at Gingerman the bike was cutting out and wouldn't run. I put the ignition back in never had another problem. Apparently the resistors can burn out. Just my .02 it was nice but not worth the price of having a problem mid-weekend.

grasshopper

Nevermind

I=V/R

Current=Voltage/Resistance

13.5/100=0.13

So a little 1/8 watt resistor mite be Ok but I'd recommend a 1/4 watt.

Go to Radio Hack Em Jay. They'll have them, buy some heat shrink tubing to.

grasshopper

Quote from: lbk on February 22, 2007, 10:32:13 AM
Em Jay, I don't recommend this I had it on one of my bikes and Nick if you remember that weekend at Gingerman the bike was cutting out and wouldn't run. I put the ignition back in never had another problem. Apparently the resistors can burn out. Just my .02 it was nice but not worth the price of having a problem mid-weekend.

What size wattage reisitory were you using? A little 1/8 watt probably won't cut it.

You could be safe and put a fatter one in there like a 5 or 10 watt and never have to worry about it.

EX_#76

Quote from: lbk on February 22, 2007, 10:32:13 AM

I have been running this setup for 3 years.  No problems, ever.  Use a 1/2 watt resistor, it will give you plenty of margin to prevent a premature failure.  A 5 or 10W resistor is heavy enough to wiggle around and break a lead or a wire if it is not supported in some way.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

EM JAY

Thanks folks!!   :thumb:  Ok, so what I've done so far, and seen that it's wrong....  bought a toggle switch from PepBoys, 30watt, cut the Ignition off, then tried to figure the wires, put the ignition back on and now I'm not getting any current to the ignition????  Has power to the starter relay, but nothing coming back up top.    :banghead:    :err:   Any ideas????    Fuses are all fine. 
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

grasshopper

:lmao: You're fucked now, no Daytona for you.  :ahhh:

EM JAY

Quote from: grasshopper on February 22, 2007, 12:07:14 PM
:lmao: You're fucked now, no Daytona for you.  :ahhh:

:finger:  Bastard  :finger: 

:ahhh:   :ahhh:  Pretty much describes it!!!   
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

EX_#76

Here is the diagram.  Get your meter out and dig in.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

dylanfan53

Let's see how good I am at sounding like I know what I'm talking about.  This is the internet after all...

If you are convinced that you got things back together correctly, you can always check wires in the harness by running a substitute wire.  You can connect a spare wire in place of one in the harness.  If have juice with the substitute wire, you have a harness problem.

Once you get that sorted out Ed and the others are right, of course, about the wires.  Get thee to Radio Shack and buy 1/2 Watt, 100 ohm resistor, part # 271-1108.  It will cost you more in gas money than the part costs.  Solder it somewhere between ground and O/R (orange/red) wire coming out of CDI box.  You don't have to cut the wires, just tap onto them and solder.

If you need another wire diagram showing the race setup PM me.  I think I have a link somewhere that has a good pic of it.

There...now I've said a lot and not really added much to the conversation.  At work they pay me for that.   :biggrin:
Don Cook
CCS #53