News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Clutch replacement

Started by superg28, February 06, 2007, 02:45:07 PM

superg28

I remember long ago I replaced a clutch set, and I was instructed by Barnett to presoak the friction plates in motor oil before installing.
Does anyone know how long to soak and if that is still the practice?

working on an 03 R6
#74 AM-R6
MV F4+1000

Jeff

just coat them and you should be fine...   I put a bit of oil on a paper plate or in a pan and just dunk the plates good before assembling...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Court Jester

i just dran the oil out into a pan, take the stack of plates, flip them up side-down in the pan, and just pull em out one by one and slide them into place.
if you put them in totally dry (what i did my first time) it'll just be tough to get the clutch to do it's job till they get coated in oil. or that's all that happened the first time i did it. i was thrashing on the lever and rocking the bike trying to get it to break los
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Team_Serpent

I believe a minimum of 1 hour is recommended, overnight is preferred.  If you carry an extra clutch pack with you, you can pre-soak it and then store in one of those thick zip-lock baggies.

Of course you can do less than what is recommended and possibly be fine, have no idea what short or long term effects will occur if any.