How do you put patches on your leathers?

Started by ecumike, January 30, 2003, 02:39:19 PM

ecumike

Yea, I kinda like the rubber cement idea.. I'll have to try it out on my current/soon to be old leathers.

Super_KC124

QuoteYea, I kinda like the rubber cement idea.. I'll have to try it out on my current/soon to be old leathers.

Make sure you put the cement on your leathers and the patch, then let them dry a little before you stick them together.
And I think dry cleaning will make them fall off.

Super Dave

If you're gonna be that dramatic...

Why not just get the stapler off the desk and do it that way? ;)
Super Dave

Gixxer124

QuoteIf you're gonna be that dramatic...

Why not just get the stapler off the desk and do it that way? ;)

You're missing the effect here. No stitching (or staples) showing. ;D I did my letter jacket patches with this method back in 1977. They still make rubber cement, don't they? ???

Super Dave

Staple it in the boarder area and use a little Testors paint to make it match.  

Isn't rubber cement going to have petroleum distilates in it?  That would probably ruin the cheap fashion weight of most of the leathers out there.  Why not just go to a shoe cobbler and ask them to sew a piece of plastic over the patches.  Probably cost about $5 without ruining anything.
Super Dave

StuartV666

When Syed made me my new suit last year, I had them sew velcro on to the suit and matching velcro to the back of my patch with clear vinyl on top. The velcro on the suit is the same color as the leather it's sewn to, so you don't really notice if it the patch is off. They charged me the same to do that as they normally charge to just sew it right on w/clear vinyl.

For now, I've got a L-P Team Privateer patch there. If drop the program, I peel off the patch and my leathers still look okay.

- Stu

Jeff

QuoteJeF4y-
i llove that bunny sticker!!!! where did you get it?

-jen

I got it at Gadzooks, a store in the mall for today's angst ridden youth.  (just don't tell anyone I was in there)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

ecumike

Stu... hmm. that's a good idea.

So it looks like I'll still stitch it by hand.
I know it's only $~7 per patch, but 3 patches worth is gas for my roundtrip to VIR :)

TZDeSioux

QuoteI got it at Gadzooks, a store in the mall for today's angst ridden youth.  (just don't tell anyone I was in there)

I have a jungle boogie sticker on my seat that I bought at Gadzooks. I also have a bad monkey sticker too.. they have lots of funny stickers.

spyderchick

I thought guys liked to compare scars. Hmmm.

If you want to put stickers on your leathers, you can laminate them and them have them stitched on.

Just thought you might want to know.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

I've been using stickers with plastic over them for about four years now.  Works really, really well.
Super Dave