Lost a good friend today

Started by Jeff, January 26, 2007, 03:24:21 PM

Jeff

The track will be a bit different this season...

we put Chief down this morning...

It was about the most difficult decision we've ever had to make, and it's taking a bite out of the family for sure.

With his age (11 yrs), he's had a number of small health problems creeping up on him.  Teeth that were badly deteriorated, arthritis in both his hips, lumps & bumps galore and an unmistakable "air" about him.  None of that was a real big issue, but he started losing weight a while ago.  Just under 10 lbs since late September.  About a month ago he started losing control of his bladder pretty regularly.  If he was in the house for more than 3-4 hours, or overnight, he peed...  Then earlier this week he began throwing up constantly.  Everything he ate, he threw up.  He ate stuff just to throw it back up.  He was still pooping so we figured he'd get over it.  2 days ago he ate a pretty big chunk of our living room carpet.  Enough to ruin it and piss me off, but it needed replacing anyhow.

Well, last night, he ate almost his entire bed.  We took him to the vet this morning where x-rays showed a massive wad of material in his stomach.  It was huge.  Like soccer ball huge..  In this was also a coin, a Christmas ornament hook and some other metal.

This wasn't something he would pass or be able to throw back up like he had done so many times in the past.  The options were very limited. Surgery or put him down.

After spending about 2 1/2 hours weighing options and trying to figure out what was right, we came to the tough decision that he should be put down.  Jennifer and I both cried our way through it, but stayed with him and fed him way too many treats before he went under.

As I type this, my head is still pounding from crying all damned day over that goofy dog.  The whole scenario is still surreal.  It just sucks being a grown up some days...

And in the end, despite my continual promises to make a wallet out of them, I let ole fat boy keep his ears.  LOL... sigh...  :wah:

kids & dogs...  kids & dogs...   :wah:  :wah:  :wah:

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Reminds me of when we had to put our cat, Erte' down. He had diabetes and we found out only after his organs began to fail.

People may not think its a big deal if they don't have animals, but they become family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

HAWK

My condolences, I've been there Jeff and no matter how old you get it doesn't get any easier.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Jeff

Thanks guys...  It's funny, as much of a pain in the ass as he could be he was just a complete mainstay of the house and our family .  11 years...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Court Jester

my condolences jeff. only saw him for a few minutes the day i was there. but he was a friendly fella. I had an australian sheprd growing up that was the coolest dog ever. it sucks for sure, but what's best is just best. my condolences non-the-less
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

racerhall

im sorry for the loss Jeff
pets are like family
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

251am

I'm so sorry. No dog ever took T1 at Gingerman like the Chiefster lookin for a spot to drop a steamer! Putting dogs to sleep is one of the hardest things to do. They are like our kids. Having a place like this to get it out helped me back then.

Godspeed Chief.
:wah:   

JBraun

Brian's right, pets are family.
I'm very sorry Jeff....
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

K3 Chris Onwiler

As I sit here scratching the heads of my two loving dogs, my heart goes out to you Jeff.  What a heartbreaking decision to have to make.  I don't know what the hell I'll do when that day comes at my house.  :wah:
Meaning absolutely no disrespect and saying this only as a way of trying to help, they put down perfectly good dogs by the dozen at the shelter every day.  Your new best friend is just waiting to meet you, and he doesn't have much longer to wait....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

LOL... no disrespect taken..  Chief, believe it or not, was a shelter puppy.  We got him, purebred basset, from a shelter at 10 months of age because his owner couldn't deal with him chewing up the furniture (like what the hell do you think a puppy does?!?).  At that time, the wife was home with the kids all day, so it worked. 

The biggest thing that caught us was the bark.  It was loud enough to shake the walls and we fell in love with it and everything else that came with him...

Too soon to think of getting another dog, but perhaps someday...  For now Jazzy just gets spoiled with the extra affection.  She'll need it too, having lost the old man of the house.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Suzy

2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!