Penske Recall

Started by Super Dave, January 25, 2007, 10:47:57 AM

Super Dave

From another board...

"There is a defecton the remote resivior hose and there is a recall on them for shocks purchased between June thru Sept 2006. I have to send the shock back to have the hose replaced. Apparently the hose connection could fail and the shock fluid could leak out and potentially cause a crash."

This was supported by attached documentation from Penske.  If you have one from those dates or close, it might be wise to check with the suspension people that you work with or from whom you purchased the shock.
Super Dave

Super_KC124

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: KC_124 on January 25, 2007, 11:22:35 PM
Whats a resivior?
It's that little something extra that hangs off the front of a ....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

HAWK

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on January 26, 2007, 06:38:46 PM
It's that little something extra that hangs off the front of a ....

:ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

Alexa, I'm gonna recommend that you field this one.

See if you can't keep that little rascle on a shorter leash.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

paco

What is the best option I have for purchasing a suspension kit (internals) with a rear shock?

Super Dave

Huge number of options.  Depends upon your budget, the bike, and other things.

First, I generally don't recommend working with a franchised dealer for suspension.  I'll generalize and say that their knowledge base is primarily focused to selling and servicing new bikes, selling other products, and so on.  It doesn't mean that they don't want to help or that they can't help, but there are very qualified to barely qualified road racing suspension guys available.

Who you use will be based on a relationship that you develop with that company or person.  Personally, I've used a few, and I've used http://4and6.com for a while.  Never got a good chance to ever get them my bike last year, and I feel like I suffered handling wise as a result.  I don't think they are close to you as they are in Chicago, and I think you're in Florida?

Each company will have a perference for what they like.  The shock manufacturer might be a different company compared to the manufacturer of the internals for the fork.

I'll make some more generalizations.  The two most important things about the chassis are geometry and then the springs.  Geometry refers to the specifics about the chassis that give generalized support to feedback and traction.  Next, spring rate supports the rider, the bike, and traction...which then supports the consistency of the geometry for rider feedback and traction.  Often riders get lost in all that because their geometry is off and they mess up the spring preload or rate to compensate leaving them with less than ideal handling and feedback.

Dampening is a bonus.  Too little is annoying, but too much can put you on the ground.

Based on all that, the most expensive kit of parts can still suck to ride on.

And a stock bike and be pretty darn good.

You've got an RR, Paco?
Super Dave

paco

Dave,

I am riding a ZX10R. I am located in Alabama near FL.