Tire Warmer Usage

Started by ipscer, January 23, 2007, 08:20:21 PM

K3 Chris Onwiler

If you put them under your sleeping bag and plug them in occasionally during the night, tire warmers can make all the difference when camping at that first Midwest round of the season....

:preachon:  Jeff is a dodohead!  :preachon:
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dario808

also allow my tires to "cycle" slowly once, hardens em up just a hair... Tommy says they last longer. 
[/quote]

can you elaborate?  cycle slowly?

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

tstruyk

Quote from: Dario808 on January 24, 2007, 09:13:46 PM
can you elaborate?  cycle slowly?

sure... I do this when time permits.  After my first stint on new tires I'll come back to the pits, throw on the warmers and leave them unplugged to allow them to cool slowly.  Thus getting the first heat cycle done but not allowing the temp to drop fast.

The rest of the day they stay on at least 135.

It was a suggestion from Tommy, mentioned it may give the tire a little extra life by allowing it to harden just a hair.
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

Using digital warmers, I heat Michelins to 140 front, 180 rear.  On cold days, it's almost impossible to get them up to that temperature without using blankets, etc. to get them to that temperature.  And they will loose heat on track on cold days, reducing traction each lap.
Super Dave

Jeff

Look Kevin, I'm not going to continue the back/forth on this between you and me either. 

I made a statement which was my opinion and it had nothing to do with you.

I said nothing about your spelling/grammar

I said nothing about banning anyone.  In fact, I personally have never banned ANYONE on this forum.

I have no reason to "make myself look good" as it would be horribly unsuccessful.  Additionally, I have nothing to benefit from putting ANYONE down.  Hence my long drawn out explanation and apology that you have taken offense to anything I posted!

If there's anything else I can do to clear my end up, please email me - jeff@cbr600rr.com, PM me or call me 262-993-5416.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

racerhall

i will never go out on the track without using tire warmers
when i get on the track i want to be able to go as fast as i can right away, like super dave said i dont want to wast any time warming up tires
last year in practice i had my warmers on but needed to use the drill for something so my crew chief unplugged my rear tire warmer and forgot to plug it back in and so 40 minutes later when it was time to go my crew chief took off my front warmer and i the rear but at that time i already had my cloves on so i couldnt feel if they were warm or not i just assume they were hot
so i leave hot pit at blackhawk and get halfway threw the first turn and lose the rear and crashed and had alot of damge on a brand new bike because of the rear tire not being hot, i was pissed and the corner worker was like what did you do
so my comment is if you want to go fast and want to do it right away then tire warmers is the way to go
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

Super Dave

YEAH, JEFF!

I talked about banning! :spank:

Moderators still have opinions and knowledge.  Generalizing based on their own experiences is still allowed, isn't it? 
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: Jeff on January 25, 2007, 10:52:05 AM
In fact, I personally have never banned ANYONE on this forum.
Not even me! :err: :ass:
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

For you K3, I could make an exception... LOL...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

I thought you banned Wong Long from the board.  He was really adding to the racing community.   :ahhh:
Super Dave

Team_Serpent

Quote from: kvanengen on January 24, 2007, 03:58:11 PM
What I find funny about all of these treads is that it always ends like this. A guy with nothing better to do but watch the CCS form to criticize what someone had posted. Instead of bring something that could really help the original question to the table, they follow it up by making some general stab at someone just make them look bad and you look better. I am done with this he said she said crap. My suggestion to you is next time you want to put in your 2 cents make it something worth reading not just your wrong I'm right.  If you feel compelled to ban me from this site, that is your call. If you really feel that banning me who tried to help someone out with there question, that's your call. I'm sure you will do the right thing, you're a professional.  for that grammer book goes. it is a tread not a wrighting contest. anytime you have the option to put in a smiley face in your text i don't think grammer really matter. FYI- i have attended a tire seminar as well. you did a great job for answering the original post.

Jeez dude - chill out  8)

Don't get your panties in such a bundle.  No one was slamming you or trying to make you look bad.

Your opinion is yours and everyone is entitled to their own, just as Jeff is entitled to his.

For the record - my opinion on the subject - I never go on the track without using tire warmers first and would recommend even beginners do the same.  It doesn't matter how fast you are - running on race rubber that's not up to temp (or at least some what warm) is a cold tire crash waiting to happen.  Sure you could go out and slide around (or ride around if you're not fast) for a couple of laps until they're warmed up but why take the chance and waste the track time? 

I've never attended a tire seminar but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night  :biggrin:

Now can't we all just get along? :kissy: