News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire Warmer Usage

Started by ipscer, January 23, 2007, 08:20:21 PM

kvanengen

tstruyk: That was a good post. The reason why I have such strong views when it comes to tire warmers is that I have work at motorcycle shops for nearly a decade and I have talked to enough track day guys that say they NEED tire warmers to go out on the track. I'm sorry, but that is one of the most outrageous thing I have ever heard. After a wile I stopped using them so I wouldn't be a hypocrite telling guys they don't need them and then race day you see me putting them on. I went 2 years without using them and had know problems. I bought a set of tyresox lat year, though a great warmer I only used them for about a half a season then realized that my times were no better and all it did for me was take up space in my garage. I think a lot of it comes down to tricking your brain to let you think that you can ride harder with them, and if that is the case, great. Like I said before, every one rides different and has different need. Some guys believe in them and some don't. For the guys out there that are 100% pro tire warmer, that's great. More power to you.
Best of luck next session.

kvanengen

Great post dave. I with you there. That would be a first. haha

Super Dave

Quote from: kvanengen on January 24, 2007, 01:38:34 PM
I have talked to enough track day guys that say they NEED tire warmers to go out on the track. I'm sorry, but that is one of the most outrageous thing I have ever heard. After a wile I stopped using them so I wouldn't be a hypocrite telling guys they don't need them and then race day you see me putting them on. I went 2 years without using them and had know problems.

"Need" for warmers on a track day is related to a few things.

First, the tire itself.  Some are very able to go from a colder state to warmed up.

Second, how important is your time?  If you've got a fifteen minute session and it takes you two laps to warm up the tire, well, that's wasted time. 

Third, tire warmers can help one use tires that are finished for short periods.  Maybe I should leave that one as an extra credit answer for people.  I use some pretty worn out tires some days, not when I need to go fast, and there's a method to the madness.  It's risky, but, again, I'm not out at those times to put down the fastest laps.

Warmers for racing?  I suppose it depends upon your competition and your goals.
Super Dave

Jeff

Quote from: kvanengen on January 24, 2007, 11:54:33 AM
That's good Jeff. Pick out the one thing you don't like and make your point. I believe I said that it was my opinion on the subject, that's all.... From your comment I see you have had a cold tire crash. Think back now, can you blame the tire, maybe a foreign object on the track or were you trying to win the race on your first lap, maybe that was it.
Again my opinion on the thread, that's all. I do still love it when the site moderator makes comments against guys who are simply trying to help someone out. Way to go Jeff,  job well done.

A bit touchy are we?

I made a generic statement since the topic comes up quite often.  Sorry it seems to have hit home with you.  To be completely honest, I didn't even read much of the thread so I'm sorry you've taken offense at something not directed toward you.

Yes, I had a cold tire crash.  Tires were cold, track was cold.  It was at Gateway in the first practice session.  I crashed on the first right hand turn after a long series of lefts (think it was T4).  It was a total rookie mistake and one which you can show up on any race weekend and watch repeated.

There are many reasons for using tire warmers (as pointed out here and in every other thread like this one).  Yes, there are still people who don't use them.  I myself have gone without them before from time to time based on certain situations...  Personally on the WHOLE, I find it an unnecessary risk, so I use them.  If you don't, that's fine...

I put in my opinion just like you did yours.  I'm really sorry that somehow my OPINION isn't as valid as yours is...

Have a great day!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Here I thought you were going to ban him like those other guys last week....

:biggrin:
Super Dave

Jeff

yep... me & my iron fist...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

kylbie

Maybe you should send him a dictionary and an English level one grammer book.

As far as my OPINION goes, i am in agreement with the majority here.  Some people use them, some don't.  I use them because i use race compound tires, and i attended a manufacturer seminar where the guy told us the tire benefits from warmer usage.  it takes a lot longer than two laps to get your whole tire heated from being dead cold.

kvanengen

I didn't know you could ban someone for clarify there statement. What you made was more so a statement than an option. Dave R. gave an opinion, and a good one at that. One where he provided insight to the conversation. Making a statement that you crashed on cold tires with out saying anything helpful to the conversation isn't helping anyone. All it was is you saying that I am wrong with nothing to back it up. I made it very clear from the start that everyone has a different opinion for different reasons. This is the way I look at thread like this one, and why I think it is so disaponting. Some guy has questions about tire warmers. That's great. The right thing to do is to help him by giving positive info on your experience with them. That is what I did. What I find funny about all of these treads is that it always ends like this. A guy with nothing better to do but watch the CCS form to criticize what someone had posted. Instead of bring something that could really help the original question to the table, they follow it up by making some general stab at someone just make them look bad and you look better. I am done with this he said she said crap. My suggestion to you is next time you want to put in your 2 cents make it something worth reading not just your wrong I'm right.  If you feel compelled to ban me from this site, that is your call. If you really feel that banning me who tried to help someone out with there question, that's your call. I'm sure you will do the right thing, you're a professional.  for that grammer book goes. it is a tread not a wrighting contest. anytime you have the option to put in a smiley face in your text i don't think grammer really matter. FYI- i have attended a tire seminar as well. you did a great job for answering the original post.

kvanengen

Im done. Have a great day guys.

251am

Quote from: ipscer on January 23, 2007, 08:20:21 PM
I have read a lot on the subject of tire warmers: The pro-cons on high wattage warmers versus low wattage warmers
Thanks for the responses.

Greg

You should start with an affordable set that matches your tire brand. In example, I believe Dunlops are closer to the 170 degree range for recommended heat range of a warmer versus 130-150 for Pirelli and Mich.. (Not sure where the 'stones are recommended for temps.) Approximately 45 minutes is the max bake time for Michelins on an "average" day. There's tons of variables here to play with;

A. Just rolled bike out of trailer and practice starts in an hour; wait 20 minutes to half an hour to put warmers on.

B. Came off from a sprint race and the next race is in 20 minutes; throw em back on ASAP.

C. Came off from sprint race and next one is after lunch in 1hr 20 minutes; personal decision on this one that will vary as much as "What kinda oil do you use?"

If you have been racing/riding w/o them you will love the difference and T1 wide open will take a while to find the trust for.  

tstruyk

I believe the Michelin rears require more heat than the C front... IIRC

I have old Chicken hawks that have the exchangeable plugs.  I run 135 front (PRC) 170whatever rear (PR5)...i refer to it as the TIM plug...its the hot one  :boink:  :biggrin:

I run my warmers all day at at least 135, give em 20-30 mins on the "TIM" plugs (ok I'm kidding)

I also allow my tires to "cycle" slowly once, hardens em up just a hair... Tommy says they last longer. 

I always cool em slowly with warmers on but unplugged.

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Court Jester

damn, i didn't know tire warmers could become such a heated topic.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"