Catch Can made of PC?

Started by cgorham, January 22, 2007, 10:19:29 AM

cgorham

Does the radiator overflow bottle count as the catch can requirement if the overflow line for that goes into the catch pan on the bike?  And must there be a line connected to the gas tank that goes into a catch can?  Mine is mysteriously missing.  Also anyone know what the two nipples on the right side of the airbox on a 00 R6 go to?  One connects to the intake runner and the other?

Also for the requirement that the catch can be made of a heat resistant material, is Polycarbonate sufficiently heat resistant?

Sobottka

yes on rad bottle. no catch can for gas. dont know bout the airbox and whats polycarbonate? sounds heat resistant :thumb:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

cgorham

its what Nalgene bottles are made of.  Supposed to be indestructable and I have seen them used for catch cans.  For the coolant overflow line what size catch can do I need... I know the rules say for the crank case a minimum of 350mL or sufficient to contain the contents of the crank case in case of catastrophic failure...

Jeff

5.2.15 On 4 stroke machines, crankcase ventilation must be routed into a heat
resistant catch can of at least 350cc capacity or the air box.
A. If ventilation is routed into the air box, any drains from the air box
must be sealed.
B. If ventilation is routed to a catch can, the overflow tube from the catch
can must be routed into the intake area of the carburetors so that
any overflow from the catch can will be drawn into the engine.
C. Radiator overflow and battery vent tubes may be routed into a
separate catch can that need not be vented into the intake area.
D. Final approval of the catch can system rests with the Tech Inspector.

Most bikes (modern 4 strokes) you'll find since around 99 already have crank case vent routed to the airbox which is also sealed, without drains.

radiator overflow is already routed into a coolant reservoir, so it doesn't need to be routed anywhere else.

Batteries are typically sealed (since about 96).

What exactly are you wanting to 'catch'?

The vents off the fuel tank are vents to prevent vacuum, and an overflow.  Neither of which need to go to a catch can...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cgorham

Thanks, just wanted to check because I was slightly confused about the rules in that section.