Main Menu

How do YOU shift?

Started by cbirk, January 19, 2007, 03:30:00 PM

How do YOU shift?

GP Shift
Regular
I don't shift

RAISING CANE

My race bike has an electric shifter so It was set for GP shift. I changed my street bike and love it. Could not do one of each both bikes need to be the same. I ride to work almost every day so the pattern was in my head in no time. I like the GP shift for the same reasons as K3 in the lefts your foot is on top and in the rights you only have to do a toe tap as opposed to getting your foot under the shifter while hanging off!!
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

racer52

Standard shift, tried GP once years ago never felt right, and have never had the need to switch it from standard.
Kerry Kimball
EXP CCS#52
Zimbrick at Fish Hatchery Road
Zimbrick.com

"An amateur works until he gets it right, a professional works until
he can't get it wrong"!

251am

GP for racing standard for street. Lefts that require a shift are easier for my big feet not being ground to hamburger. Going back and forth is not an issue too much...

catman

This seems to prove there are Two sides to learn from.whatever fits,fits- i cannot CHANGE comfortably so i wont .until i can...............used STANDARD for 40 yrs -DAMN "U" K3 ,good explanation-this thread never helps reinforce our nooby plans !!John in nj

cbirk

I tend to adapt to whatever is implemented regardless of the reason, but the idea of being in an emergency and shifting on instinct could cause problems. One thing I will agree with 100% is shifting with the left foot.  8) I'm leaning towards keeping the gp shift but I'll just have to wait until I can get out and ride with it and then make my decision. Thanks for the replies!  :thumb:

Speedballer347

I have ridden bikes w/ GP, takes a couple laps to get used to it.  Not a big issue.
I ride standard because I don't want to miss a downshift on entrance.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

catman

and my shift peg is up to 2" above peg-john standard 40 yrs!

sasrocks

tried GP yaya its OK.  STD works better for downshifts when braking and under pressure.  its easy to click an upshift while accelerating. I can think of some turn (GIR T1-2) where you need to down shift in a decreasing left where GP is a disadvantage.

Racerlee122

GP pattern. I tried it for the first time last year when my new trackbike came with it. At first I was worried about it but I found that on the track it was much more comfortable for me. On any track you get into a rythm and your up and down shifts should be the close to the same every lap so it is easy to get used to. The street?????

TommyG

Run what`s best for you. One way won`t make you faster than the other!! Some guys have to go to a certain shift pattern due to foot/ankle injury and mobility(Mladin runs standard) so that`s something to consider also.

APP_Racing

I have ridden bikes with both setups.  I see advantages of both but have kept the Regular shift pattern so far.  Other than just having to remind myself at each corner for awhile it wasn't a hard change.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

Super Dave

Quote from: TommyG on January 26, 2007, 02:19:09 PMSome guys have to go to a certain shift pattern due to foot/ankle injury and mobility...
I'm still trying to figure that one out.

They shift only down or shift only up?
Super Dave