Main Menu

How do YOU shift?

Started by cbirk, January 19, 2007, 03:30:00 PM

How do YOU shift?

GP Shift
Regular
I don't shift

cbirk

Also, how long did it take to get used it after converting?  I'm curious because my R6 came set up for gp shift pattern  and I'm thinking of leaving it.  Thanks

mq105

I ride a street bike as well as a track bike, so I have both bikes set up for standard shift. It's just one less thing to screw up, and I would rather miss a down-shift than an up-shift. I know some swear by GP-shift on the track, but for me standard works. That being said, I know riders who switch back and forth and say they don't have a problem. You have to do what works for you.
MQ 
FL  #283

clutch

I use standard.  At most tracks, this isnt a problem at all.  The big benefit for standard is the more positive down shifts you get.  for me, going into T-1 and having to make 3 quick downshifts is a lot easier and more positive by pushing down on the shifter than having to pull up.  I tried GP for a while a few years ago and I also had a problem with hitting a few more false neutrals.  It's rider preference.

Jeff

GP, but I've gone back/forth with no problems...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Court Jester

i road my street bike for a day with the gp shift and haven't been able to go back. i wrecked and was forced to go back to my stock pegs and to the reg. shifting patern and ended up down shifting in the middle of the front straight at black hawk. same thing with a street bike i just picked up. it had the reg shift patern and went to pass a line of cars. about 80 in second gear wound out pretty good and down shifted. almost ate the driver side door of a car.
my little brain's just hooked on gp shift.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Jason748

With my Left foot...  :biggrin:
.Sorry Chris, Had to be done.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

bigreid

I went to GP shift really easily, but going back to regular is hard.
GP AM#429

cleezmo

GP track, STD street

I switched 2 seasons ago when I got my GSX-R, and I immediately liked it better than standard pattern. I'd never go back to standard on the track, GP just seems more natural.

My streetbike is still standard, and I haven't had any real problems. I just have to mentally remind myself when I get on the streetbike that it's standard, and I don't have any issues.

catman

Standard cause too many years on it before trackracing- also like to be sure i can slow for turns by positively pushing down planting bike into the asphalt-john

dabirk23

Standard.  There are situations where a GP pattern would have an advantage.  However, would those situations be more of a benefit than what you would lose in having to think about the different pattern?
You've been riding using a standard pattern for 20 years, I don't think that changing to a RACE pattern will make you any faster.  Kevin Schwantz uses a standard pattern as well as a some other Champions. (Mladin?)
Just because something is called "race" doesn't mean it's better/faster.
Go with what works best for you.
:cheers:
Dave

Without a sense of humor one is destined to be miserable

cardzilla

I'm not sure how Schwantz was so fast with a standard shift... the problem lies mainly in left handers where you have to shift while leaned over... the standard pattern requires your foot be under the shifter and thus subject to dragging.  Kevin rode with his pegs almost up his a$$, I think that may have had a lot to do with it.

I think it is easy to learn, the only problem is that you usually revert to the standard shift in a panic.  Do some panic stops off track and practice that should help.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

K3 Chris Onwiler

GP is the way.  Once I tried it, I wondered who the moron was that invented standard shift.  It's good in long lefts for keeping your foot off the ground, but also in long rights when you're so far off the bike that reaching your toe underneath the shifter would be a hassle.  Plus that, if you get tossed out of the seat during a near-highside or near-lowside and step on the shifter when you land, you'll get an upshift instead of a downshift.  That could damn well make the difference between a spectacular save and a spectacular crash.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

RAISING CANE

My race bike has an electric shifter so It was set for GP shift. I changed my street bike and love it. Could not do one of each both bikes need to be the same. I ride to work almost every day so the pattern was in my head in no time. I like the GP shift for the same reasons as K3 in the lefts your foot is on top and in the rights you only have to do a toe tap as opposed to getting your foot under the shifter while hanging off!!
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

racer52

Standard shift, tried GP once years ago never felt right, and have never had the need to switch it from standard.
Kerry Kimball
EXP CCS#52
Zimbrick at Fish Hatchery Road
Zimbrick.com

"An amateur works until he gets it right, a professional works until
he can't get it wrong"!

251am

GP for racing standard for street. Lefts that require a shift are easier for my big feet not being ground to hamburger. Going back and forth is not an issue too much...

catman

This seems to prove there are Two sides to learn from.whatever fits,fits- i cannot CHANGE comfortably so i wont .until i can...............used STANDARD for 40 yrs -DAMN "U" K3 ,good explanation-this thread never helps reinforce our nooby plans !!John in nj

cbirk

I tend to adapt to whatever is implemented regardless of the reason, but the idea of being in an emergency and shifting on instinct could cause problems. One thing I will agree with 100% is shifting with the left foot.  8) I'm leaning towards keeping the gp shift but I'll just have to wait until I can get out and ride with it and then make my decision. Thanks for the replies!  :thumb:

Speedballer347

I have ridden bikes w/ GP, takes a couple laps to get used to it.  Not a big issue.
I ride standard because I don't want to miss a downshift on entrance.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

catman

and my shift peg is up to 2" above peg-john standard 40 yrs!

sasrocks

tried GP yaya its OK.  STD works better for downshifts when braking and under pressure.  its easy to click an upshift while accelerating. I can think of some turn (GIR T1-2) where you need to down shift in a decreasing left where GP is a disadvantage.

Racerlee122

GP pattern. I tried it for the first time last year when my new trackbike came with it. At first I was worried about it but I found that on the track it was much more comfortable for me. On any track you get into a rythm and your up and down shifts should be the close to the same every lap so it is easy to get used to. The street?????

TommyG

Run what`s best for you. One way won`t make you faster than the other!! Some guys have to go to a certain shift pattern due to foot/ankle injury and mobility(Mladin runs standard) so that`s something to consider also.

APP_Racing

I have ridden bikes with both setups.  I see advantages of both but have kept the Regular shift pattern so far.  Other than just having to remind myself at each corner for awhile it wasn't a hard change.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

Super Dave

Quote from: TommyG on January 26, 2007, 02:19:09 PMSome guys have to go to a certain shift pattern due to foot/ankle injury and mobility...
I'm still trying to figure that one out.

They shift only down or shift only up?
Super Dave

catman

Super Dave

Actually, they aren't.  One's just there for decoration.
Super Dave

xseal

I agree that this is just personal preference. I can say that I don't think its hard to convert, and in fact although I use GP raced with TC team that insistent on regularly, and I went back and forth racing with both in the same day without any real excitement. I definitely don't think its a problem to switch, try it, then switch back if you don't like it.

As noted, while most of the racing world uses GP, there are some very fast exceptions, so its not like switching pattern has much do to with speed, more to do with comfort and feel.

catman

:cheers:+! ex(seal)actly! Also agree about that moment of EXTRA thought /reminder/planningtime before the turn,APP Dean :cheers:-too much for this 51 yr.ole,though------