News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Getting started racing

Started by OlDirtyBrian, January 30, 2003, 07:49:27 AM

ecumike

I'm up on Leesville, N. of 540.  My buddies used to live on the corner of Brent & Gorman. They moved ~1 year ago. I'm buying a trailer next month, if you start getting into it, we might have room for ya if you need a ride.

I agree with Dave and Diesel... After just 1 track day, I went to ride on the street the following week.. it sucked. It only took me 1 trackday to not want to ride on the street anymore.

r1owner

Interesting.  I used to own an R1.  Took a racing school on it (realized I didn't want to race something like that).

Sold it and bought an 01 GSXR600 to race.  I miss the street sometimes.  But then I realize how crazy I used to ride to keep up with Speedballer on the street ;) and thought better of riding on the street (too dangerous for me).

I think you should buy a 600 (plenty fast enough, not too fast), and maybe a wrecked SV for the street.

Ask Speedie about riding your track bike on the street all the time :) or is it street bike on the track? ;)

OlDirtyBrian

Well it looks like once i get organized i'll sell my bike and buy a 600. I'm sure i'll miss the effortless wheelies and gobs of torque but i'm sure the trade will be worth it. I cant afford to not own a streetbike because i'm still in school. The convience of being able to park right next to my class and not have to ride the bus outweighs any potential problems. Guess i'll just have to become an expert at changing my bike back and forth from race to street trim ;D

GSXR RACER MIKE

The other good option is to buy something like a Zuma and ride it on the street. It may not be fast but you can also use it at the track as a pit bike (since a number of the tracks are changing their policy and not letting you use anything that isn't licensed for the street as a pit vehicle - bunch of B/S!)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

r1owner

QuoteWell it looks like once i get organized i'll sell my bike and buy a 600. I'm sure i'll miss the effortless wheelies and gobs of torque but i'm sure the trade will be worth it. I cant afford to not own a streetbike because i'm still in school. The convience of being able to park right next to my class and not have to ride the bus outweighs any potential problems. Guess i'll just have to become an expert at changing my bike back and forth from race to street trim ;D

Well then, keep the stock tail section.  You can use that to race, and its easy to take the taillight out, and put it back in.   Not so easy to do on a race tail section.

MZGirl

QuoteAnyone know where i could pick up a cheap sv or R6 with only cosmetic damage?

My husband found an R6 on eBay, and all it had was cosmetic damage.  A salvage yard was selling it.

QuoteI cant afford to not own a streetbike because i'm still in school.

Um, out of curiosity, how much more school do you have left?  Just asking because racing is addicitve, and can take concentration away from other areas (like school).  I stayed away from the track until I had graduated and found a job, and that way I could fully enjoy the hobby.  If I tried to balance both school and racing, both would have been compromised.  I'm not saying work and racing isn't a balance, but at least work pays for racing.  ;)

OlDirtyBrian

I've found a few bikes on ebay but most of the sellers are looking for prices that are too high for what youre getting. I also checked out cycletrader.com and had slightly better luck.

I'm currently on the 4 and a half year plan so i will hopefully be graduating in a year and a half not counting this current semester. I could see where racing would distract me from school but i think the compromise would be worth it.

As for buying a street legal pit bike to ride around on. I dont think i could bring myself to do it. Half the enjoyment of riding to school is the release i get from pulling wheelies and goin fast during the commute. It helps to keep me sane while i'm bored out of my mind in class. Plus i dont own a car so it would make the trek to work tedious.

chris_chops

You won't want to ride fast on the street anymore after you get on the track, you may not want to ride on the street anymore at all.  Racing puts the limits of and danger of fast street riding into perspective.  I seriously don't understand how I survived on the street looking for thrills for eight years. One weekend of racing eclipsed any high I got from street-riding.  A couple of ton-plus speeding tickets helped me to the track as well.  I now have a dirt bike and a racebike and that's more than enough.  If you decide to skip lightweight racing and go straight to a modern 600, you'll need way more throttle control or expect the highside to be part of your learning curve.  Without naming names, the am600 class is by far the most dangerous class to run in.  Debate it if you will, but I've been racing 5 years now and over the years I've heard the am600 class called "a bunch of morons", "amatuer hour", "suicdal", etc..  An am600 race at blackhawk without a redflag is highly unusual.  Don't get me wrong, I'd fit right in.  Just letting you know.
Matt

OlDirtyBrian

Sounds like fun to me. ;D Honestly I would prefer to run an SV on the track then my R1 for the street. Unfortunately this isnt financially viable. To me it seems like buying a 600 is the best comprimise. Its not perfect for either enviornment but it would end up doing both street and track work decently well.

chris_chops

Racing what you can afford cuz it's better than no racing at all.  Get that suspension set-up by a fast-local guy and enter the battle of the crazies.

OlDirtyBrian

I really appreciate all the comments. I have one other question. What do you guys do for insurance? I have regular coverage but it doesnt apply to racing.

EX#996

QuoteI really appreciate all the comments. I have one other question. What do you guys do for insurance? I have regular coverage but it doesnt apply to racing.

You didn't specify if the insurance is for your bike or yourself.

Your bike - you're SOL.  
Your body - unless your medical policy specifically excludes it, you should have medical coverage.

Dawn  :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton