Getting started racing

Started by OlDirtyBrian, January 30, 2003, 07:49:27 AM

OlDirtyBrian

I've been riding on the street for a couple years now. After a wreck i came to the conclusion that fast riding on public roads just isnt worth the risk. So now i've decided that i want to get into racing. The problem is that i dont know where to start. I was thinking about going to a school, running some track days, then once i feel comfortable i'll enter a novice race. The problem is that i have an R1 which is way too much bike for me to learn proper racing technique on. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I should get started, what bike i should buy and where i can enter races where i wouldn't get completely worked by the competition.

Dawn

Brian:

You may want to post the location that you are from so that people can give you ideas of tracks, schools, and track days in the area.  Plus if you can pick up a lightweight bike like and SV, FZR400, TZ250 ect.  You will learn a lot more about going fast verses just HP your way down a track.

My $0.02

Dawn   ;)

SliderPhoto

Apply for a couple Platinum credit cards!

And watch out for those photos guys--always trying to sell you something!  ;D

OlDirtyBrian

I live in NC. About an hour and a half from VIR. I was thinking about attending the cornerspeed school. They seem to have a decent reputation and good instructors. If i bought an SV would I need to put clipons and a full fairing on it? Also I'm a big guy. 6'3 and around 175 so cant really fit on small bikes.

SliderPhoto

Brian Blangsted of Midwest Rider was running some modified handlebars on his SV, they turned down, so you wouldn't need clip-ons.  You don't need bodywork, just a catch pan. With the SV you'll need front fork work and a shock is always a plus. Getting something already prepped can save $$$

Speedballer347

QuoteThe problem is that i have an R1 which is way too much bike for me to learn proper racing technique on
MonTEZ Stewart started on an R1, and he goes pretty good ;D 8)

"get a 600"
"no, get an SV"
"their both wrong, get a TZ250"
 :D
Get whatever you can afford, just 'get' to the track :)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

ecumike

If you want track time, join NESBA, they frequent VIR.
I'm in Raleigh, where are you Brian?

Definitely go for a LW bike.. I went from a ZX-7 to the RS250.. I love it. It really teaches you how to ride.

Dawn

QuoteAlso I'm a big guy. 6'3 and around 175 so cant really fit on small bikes.

My husband is 6'4" and 225 rides a stock SV
Chris Onwiler is 6'1 and 230 (?) and won championships on and FZR.  

Dawn   :)

OlDirtyBrian

ECU i live on Brent Rd. Where are you?

Unfortunately i dont think i can afford to own a track bike and a street bike. But i'm also not willing to give up the joys of street riding. Would it be plausible to buy and R6 to run on both the street and track or would it be too powerful? Anyone know where i could pick up a cheap sv or R6 with only cosmetic damage? I would be willing to drive a ways to get it.

Super Dave

The salvage market gets pretty out of control right now with guys trying to build bikes for spring.

As for street riding, after you've done enough racing, street riding can seem ...um...kind of boring but dangerous.  I like a street ride, very rarely, but I haven't owned a street bike in years.  But that's me... :P

I really like to put my money into the "black hole of racing..."   ;D
Super Dave

diesel748

Dave I found that BLACK HOLE. Well my wallet found it first. I do agree with you I have done many track days and spend countless weekends help'n my buddy's @ the track. I was out riding one night and came to the conclusion that this is lame. I now have the race virus and don't see a cure in the future.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Also street riding can end up putting habits into your riding style which often times are counter productive on the race track. But on the other hand, keeping that synchonicity of man and machine on a daily basis could have it's benefits also.
     I use to change over my GSXR 750 after many of the events and ride it on the street. That was definately more of a hassel than anything (mabey the bike you choose won't have so much stuff to change back and forth). I also found that if I didn't change the jetting back to something more streetable, the plugs would get all loaded up by the time I went to race again. If I went out for practice in the morning without changing the plugs it would take a whole session for them to blow out all that carbon build-up. Even after that it seemed like they still weren't 100%.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96