News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Rust + Other Questions

Started by TonyC, January 11, 2007, 06:51:20 PM

TonyC

It's my first year racing.  I've read the 2007 rule book twice so far.  Quick questions.

1.  What is the rule on rust.  I bought a used 2006 Kawasaki 636 that was crashed and has rust on the exhaust and on a small dent on the tank.   Will this cause a problem during tech?

2.  The bike came with a slip-on exhaust that extends about 1 inch past the rear of the bike, where the taillight is.  Is this against the rules?

3.  Case covers - the rules don't require my bike to have them, but should I get them anyway?

4.  Scratched/shaved parts - What is the rule on slightly damaged parts?  For example, a scratched strator cover or shaved axil nut.

Thanks.
CCS AM # 223

LilJayRR

Answers

Question 1. No it shouldnt
Question 2. No
Question 3. I race a 05/06 636 I didnt have case covers, just used the stock ones, and installed frame sliders.
Question 4. Shouldn't be an issue, as long as it doesnt cause a safety issue. By shaved you mean grinded by pavement I assume.

As long as it isnt a safety issue you shouldnt have too many issues. My first year last year was great and eveyone is/was pretty helpfull in the pits. If you dont know dont hesitate to ask, as most have probably had the same issue or can point you in the right direction.

If you have any more question I'll help ya the best I can. BTW what area will you racing in ?

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

TonyC

Thank you for the help.  Your answers were right on point.

You are correct.  Grinded better describes the damage.  The bar end is also grinded and has some rust.  I'm glad to hear that people are helpful during the races.

I live in Queens, NY, and plan on attending at least 8 race days this year.  I hope to race in the Mid-Atlantic region and possibly do a race in the Northeast.  Mid-Atantic seems to have a nice selection of tracks.

I am going to Daytona in March.

I am quickly learning that race prep and planning is like a having a second job.  However, I have no doubt it will be well worth it in the end.

Thanks again.
CCS AM # 223

K3 Chris Onwiler

Every race bike looks that bad or worse by the third weekend....  If tech started whining about cosmetic issues, there'd be no one left to race! :lmao:
Seriously, tech is looking for a bike that is clean, doesn't leak anywhere, and doesn't have any sharp areas that could injure you in a crash.  For example, most inspectors won't pass a brake or clutch lever with the ball snapped off, because it could go right through yout arm in a crash.  You know that your lower fairing has to be a belly pan that catches fluid in case you blow your motor, right?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

251am

Follow the R&Rs to the T for your machine, and you'll be fine. However, if your machine appears to have been in an accident, or neglected, you are probably going to be subject to a more intense scrutiny. The level of scrutiny is dependant on the Tech. officer. Good luck with your racing!     

TonyC

Thanks again everyone.

LilJayRR:  By the way, any advice on cutting the fairing when I install the frame sliders.  I bought the Woodcraft sliders.  I also bought Attack race bodywork.  I would have PM'ed you, but I don't meet the post threshold yet.
CCS AM # 223

LilJayRR

I didnt have to cut my bodywork on one set and the other I just bent the fiberglass flap enough to get it to go around the bodywork. If you do feel like cutting it just use a dremel or something. I also bought a set of "no cut" sliders but the bracket bends if you go down on the left side.

I'm in the Mid-Atl, so if you come down to Summit Point I'll help ya out as much as I can, you can probably find me around the Fast Lane Cycles pits or look around for my number. I'd tell you what # it is, but I dont even know yet since I requested a new one this yr.

Aslo feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll try to help you out.

Have fun!
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

TonyC

Thanks for the help and offer.
CCS AM # 223