News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

wheels

Started by fzr400tony, October 01, 2001, 05:21:42 PM

fzr400tony

okay, this idea is mainly for those of us with old bikes.  but i think it would be fair to let us replace a 18 or 16" wheel with a 17 in supersport.  this is okay, so long as the width is the same.  great.  however, myself and fellow fzr400 riders have 18x4.0" rears.  which means only bandit 400 rims are legal for the swap.  they're easy to find....

i don't think that i should be allowed to run pm rear wheel.  but an f2 rear rim would fair, right?  there isn't any real gain except being able to run 208's or pilots just like anyone else.  i was thinking that people in supersport should be able to use a production rim that is 1/2" wider or narrower than stock.  in other words, guys with 00 gsxr750 should be able to run a 96 750 rim and guys with 96's should be able to run a 00 rim (what is the gain either way, other than more choices when buying spares).  no tz rims, but a different production rim, 17" and within 1/2" in width.  the dots make going to wide rims for a performance gain moot.

it would help those of us on old bikes use modern rubber.  the bt010 is the best 18" dot i know of.

also, shouldn't air-box removal be okay in supersport all ready?  it gives the non-ram-air bikes something back....  it also helps the guy with an old gsxr who wants to race, but can only race gto and hwsb because his 99hp 750 didn't have the airbox when he bought (you guys know what i'm talking about, find a 90 gsxr with an airbox).  and as someone who put the airbox back on his bike, and see the disadvantages of not having one.  how it can be an expensive part to buy if you're old bike doesn't have it.

yes, my opinions are biased.

JamesC459

Tony With Lrrs you can fit a 17 for a 16/18 wheel and also switch to wider or narrower without any trouble at the tech.Guys have been running F3 wheels on F2 rears since 94 to fit the 170 tire on the 5 wide wheel(F2 being4.5) and also putting F3 forks on anF2 to use the F3 brakes.As for the airbox,just enter the class,the tech guys I don't believe will say anything,especially if the bike in question is an older model,GSXR,FZR 600.They Know that the bike is not  competitive in the  class.Besides,You beat a guy on a 125hp current spec GSXR on your 95hpGSXR,great ride man!,He might whine,but so what.He's probably Illeagal as well!There should be another place to ride the older bikes outher than HWSS or HWSPTMN which your FZR is eligible for,My 90 FZR600 is.My dad finished in the top 5 once on it his 2nd time out .Good luck

fzr400tony

actually i did run my fzr without the airbox in the past in lwss, that's how i bought it and it's former owner did well with it and was never protested.  i don't think the tech guys are concerned with whether your bike is legal for the class, just safe.  i remember a guy who was racing a 748 in hwsp, he got through tech.  i'm guessing by the guys who were pissed about him being there, he wasn't using a legal bike.  

i think we all know people cheat.  and really, how often does a race get protested?  i know when i got beat in lwss by an fzr400 with an usd gsxr front-end that i got beat by the better rider and didn't protest.  however, i'd hate to be protested and lose because my 400 won't be legal in the class next year (going back to the pods, and an f2 rear wheel, well as soon as my 010's are in need of replacement).  

it just seems to be that using a slightly larger rear wheel and no airbox, hardly makes my bike a superbike (but by the rules it does).  it just allows me to have a bike that (strangely enough) carburates better and i can use as good of a tire as the hawks, sv's, cb-1's, etc. can use.

don't get me wrong, i can drop lwss off my entry sheet, my bike is competitive in lwsb, mwsp, and gtl and i can still race up a class.  but one more class is still more track time, which is something i need.  i know i'd spend the $30 extra to race in lwss if given the opportunity.  hell, i'll probably still run it until i finally do something good in it.

i don't know, just kinda throwing it out there.  and honestly, the 400 guys have been argued this with ccs after the 99 season (which i think help lead to us being legal in mwsp), when the sv's came out.  and they've argued for 560's in wera d-super.

anyway, just throwing it out there.

CCS

From the 2001 rules for SuperSport. ;D

6.1.2 All motorcycles must meet the following requirements in addition to the applicable requirements in Section 5.
A. Original equipment wheels, brake calipers, forks, frame, engine, fuel induction system, and swing arm must be used.
(1)      18" wheels may be replaced with 17" wheels of the same width.
(2)      16" wheels may be replaced with 17" wheels of the same width.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

fzr400tony

kevin,

i know the rule is there, but the fzr400 and i believe older gsxr's used such narrow wheels, the 17" versions are hard to come by.  us 400 riders would need to use bandit 400 wheels.  or find a super expensive 4" wide rear rim.

anyway, just a thought.

btw, it's cool to see ccs people actually checking out the site.  thanks.

Mahly

PERSONALLY, I see NO use for the airbox rule. Supersport rules were made to keep costs down, and bikes "equal" Last I heard, taking parts OFF of your bike costs NOTHING, and on most newer bikes you would loose power anyway. Why you can't take off the airbox, and re-jet (like you wouldn't re-jet for a new pipe ANYWAY) is well beyond me.
CCS MW EX #113

wera331

I've got a katana front wheel and a f2 rear,just go race and see if someone protest.If they dothey have nothing eles to do ,when they shiuld be worried about how they are going to beat a fzr next time out. ;)

Admin

Well, I run an FZR also, and have the same problem.  I have TZ wheels, so can't run SS...so, the only logical thing to do is put flatslides on, slicks, and be a better rider then the rest of the superbike guys ;)

CCS

You guys should put together a reasonable solution to this problem, say an age limit (10 yrs old-15 yrs old exempt from sections yadda...yadda...) and send it to us for consideration by the rules committee.

See ya at the races.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

Roach

Quoteit would help those of us on old bikes use modern rubber.  the bt010 is the best 18" dot i know of.

The new BT090 race DOT is available in 18" for the FZR.
- Roach

rulesarerules

Rules are rules.

Work to change them, but don't cheat until they are changed.