8 POD vs 4 POD gsxr caliper advantage/disadvantage question

Started by catman, January 08, 2007, 08:53:45 PM

catman

wondered if anyone could steer me correct- would my sv spbk appreciate the difference -have gsxr 05  1k front end and am balancing the idea of switching from oem to a set of oem calipers off 750 gsxr ! would i get a benefit, what would it be in feel or power - they will come with sbs carbon pads-  I thought i heard they need a harder tug but have a 19x18 brembo Master cyl on the way- is the maintenance the same? TIA all-john

Gixxerblade

When I had my SV all I had on it was the stock  front end and stock brakes with a Brembo 19x18. It was way too much stopping power as it is. Here's an example of the stopping power. It is in turn 14 at VIR.

benprobst

no such thing as too much stopping power. I have monster brembo superbike calipers and a 19X20 on my sv and while its a bit overkill, it certainly is not much. The thing people have to remember about braking power is that it really isnt about power. I can stand my ss sv up on its front end just as easily as my sb sv coming into T5 at road america. what good brakes are all about is lack of effort to do the same amount of work, it takes significantly less brain power to get my superbike pulled down from a 120 to 50 or 60 than it does my supersport bike. thats what big brakes are generally about, my braking points are almost exactly the same on the two bikes, it just takes alot more concentration on the ss bike. just like in the rain, my braking points are very similar to in the dry, it just takes more concentration to stop that much harder since all of my stopping  is done while parallel, while in the dry probably 35-40 % of my stopping comes as I trail into the corner. aside from that I have no idea how to answer your question John.  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

benprobst

Quote from: Gixxerblade on January 08, 2007, 10:49:20 PM
When I had my SV all I had on it was the stock  front end and stock brakes with a Brembo 19x18. It was way too much stopping power as it is. Here's an example of the stopping power. It is in turn 14 at VIR.

ohh and speaking of object fixation    ^  perfect example.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

K3 Chris Onwiler

What is it about big guys, crashing, and the #333?   8)  So how did THAT all work out?  I like the guy looking over his shoulder at the mess.  See?  Gaper's block, even at a race pace!

John, what the hell are you talking about?  8 piston calipers?  I know you have GSXR 1000cc 6-piston on your old setup with 320 mm rotors.  Your new setup should have come with 4-piston radial calipers and 300mm rotors.  So what the hell are 8-piston calipers, and what would they have come off of? :ahhh:
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

benprobst

If you have radial gsxr calipers on your front end you should be just fine John. and like K3 said, where are you getting 8 pistons from, trying to retro fit some off a grand am car.
Home of the GSXR 565

catman

hey Chris maybe i read the guy wrong but they (as i understood) were from a 750 gxxer and possibly meant 4 per side- i didnt get  calipers with forks, bought them seperately(4 pod) - prolly mixing it up sorry, but thanks for correction,i'm gonna prolly wait till doc removes my meds before i go looking for more upgrades- got to go see him Fri to find out how his surgery plan is coming along, dont want it put off further the season is gonna get here before all is finished, i fear.He says he is going the conservative route...just wanna get it (shoulder repair) over!

catman

oh yea -Chris- got the 320mm upgrade and spacers from Brian at sportbiketrackgear- the alth rotors- john

Super Dave

I've raced bikes with single piston calipers, actually one piston, nothing on the other side, and had no problems.  Geometry can be an issue that makes brakes touchy, like previous CBR600RR's, and others firm.
Super Dave

Gixxerblade

Quote from: benprobst on January 08, 2007, 10:59:53 PM
ohh and speaking of object fixation    ^  perfect example.

If I didn't I woulda certainly hit that dude. :D Anyway K3 I crashed. I had enough braking power to stop from hitting the poor guy that low-sided in front of me.

catman

alls good and under stood the guy  was offering me the gold calipers from a 03 1K (04 05) also , that will match gold rotors/gold titanium axles from yoyo/ nicely and come with a couple sets of carbon sbpads that match sportbikegear.com   for the alth rotors i bought- thanks for all the info to those that helped! - Peace...........john :thumb:

K3 Chris Onwiler

Oh yes.  It's VERY important that you color-coordinate your bling.... :rollseyes:
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com