1ST GEN SV SHOCK SWAP

Started by johnny scheff, January 02, 2007, 06:16:59 PM

johnny scheff

I have a buddy with a first gen SV streetbike.  I have heard that there is interchangeability with that rear shock and some years of GSXR shocks.  Based on that assumption I purchased a used GSXR shock,  I don't know what year or size,  to put on his bike.  The shock itself will fit,  but there is no room for the resevoir.  I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a bolt on swap,  and if so what it is?  I knw that this won't be nearly as nice as the Penskes that are on my SV's but we thought this could be a good cheap improvement.    Thanks - Johnny

benprobst

unless the shock has been worked on, many of my street friends who did this mod found it do be detrimental to the bike, and most went back to a stock shock.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

SV88

Johnny - an 01 GSXR 750 will work well.  You do have to modify the battery holder a bit to accomodate the shock reservoir.  I had mine revalved at SV raceshop in IA.  Much cheaper than a Penske or Ohlin - I doubt that those are twice/three times as good.

Steve.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

dylanfan53

So here's another opinion to chew on.

As I recall, 97-99 are okay.  Dunno about 2000+.

Problem is not just if it "fits".  You want the ability to adjust the length to get the geometry of the bike right.  And yes...that's very important.  It can mean the difference between a usable track/race bike and a bike that doesn't allow you to ever know what you could have done.

SVrider.com probably has swap info, but IMHO you'll waste the better part of a season trying to make do with the GSXR.  I'd scrape up the dough for a properly sprung penske.  Then get the forks set up right and good tires and you'll spend time improving your riding, not being held back by a poor setup.

Don Cook
CCS #53

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: dylanfan53 on January 02, 2007, 08:37:50 PM
So here's another opinion to chew on.

but IMHO you'll waste the better part of a season trying to make do with the GSXR.  I'd scrape up the dough for a properly sprung penske.  Then get the forks set up right and good tires and you'll spend time improving your riding, not being held back by a poor setup.

That pretty much covers it....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

johnny scheff

Remember that this is for a streetbike.  As I said I have Penskes on both my race bikes.  This is for a buddy that might do one track day this year.  We are installing springs and emulators in the forks,  his budget is spent,  I thought this would be an inexpensive way to do something with the shock.  Thanks - Johnny

johnny scheff

IMHO you'll waste the better part of a season trying to make do with the GSXR.  I'd scrape up the dough for a properly sprung penske.  Then get the forks set up right and good tires and you'll spend time improving your riding, not being held back by a poor setup.

[/quote]

I agree for racing,  do you guys think it is that bad of an idea for a streetbike?  Johnny

benprobst

I also strongly suggest staying away from sv race shop. I have heard of probably 5 complete rip offs they have pulled. Ive met a couple of the guys from sv raceshop, and they seemed like decent guys, but ive heard of and have a friend who has some bad stories. check out svrider.com in the forum section, I think alot of guys over there have done that swap, and also do a search on sv race shop and shock.  :thumb:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

wolf44

+1 with ben and svraceshop.  do yourself a favor and go to svrider.com and search sv race shop and look at what went on there.  If it doesn't bother you send your stuff there and tell us how it turns out.  I've heard of good and bad coming from them
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

Super Dave

Hey, Johnny...

What they said.

I believe the different GSXR shocks offered a different length of the shock vs the stock SV.  So, that changed the swingarm angle and how it made anti squat. 

What spring rates the bike has stock and what the stock GSXR spring rate might make the swap work better or suck, depending upon the rider weight.

Some of the SV forums are pretty good.  Probably worth a shot.
Super Dave

grasshopper

You want the Gixxer shock (not sure what year) that is 13" eye to eye. You want to increase the rear ride height on the SV.

I think Ed Key said he is running close to 14" on his SV's eye to eye. I'm at about 13 3/4. The gixxer shock does not allow ride height adjustment but is longer than the stock shock

The Gixxer shock will increase the ride height from the stock peice of shit shock and give you rebound and compression damping.

Hack the peice off on the gas tank hinge that holds the battery in place. This will make room for the shock resevior.

If you are interested I have a freshly rebuilt Gixxer shock sprung for 180lb rider that I can sell you. 50 bucks.

This mod will improve the handling of your SV for sure.

Brian Hall won his amatuer championship in 05 on an SV that had a Gixxer shock on it. I'm sure even Jason Damico would say the gixxer shock isn't that bad. Not as good as an Ohlins or Penske, but for sure better than a stocker.

Super Dave

Super Dave