News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Noob question

Started by nvill003, December 31, 2006, 02:44:52 PM

nvill003

I was hoping to be able to start competing in ccs, but im not sure which class is more for beginers, i heard something abut a 250cc class, which would be convinient since im on a tight budget. well thank you for all the information that anyone can give me hear. :biggrin:

Super Dave

Well, you have to start as an amateur.

Some classes will cost you more in terms of replacing tires, brake pads, etc.

Many start racing on a bike they have currently.

A 250 class...Well, yeah, there are classes for purpose built 250cc bikes, there are classes for 250cc street bikes.  It's different from MX where really the only thing that is raced is an MX bike where you've got 250 C, 250 A, etc.

So, what bike do you have now? 

Super Dave

Scotty Ryan

Well there isn't really a "250" class in CCS.... They have lightweight classes - such as Lightweight "GP - Superbike and Supersport - then they have the GT Lights class.... All of the classes have different rules as far as what you can and cannot do the the bikes and what specific motor configurations are allowed.... I started in the Lightweight classes on an SV - I would suggest to anyone that has never raced before - that starting on a smaller bike is the way to go - at least until you get a good handle of the basics.... Dollar for dollar you can't get much cheaper or competitive then an SV.... They also require less regular maintenance then a two stroke...... You can check the rule book on the website and that will give you an idea as to what you can do with a certain bike........  Good luck
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

nvill003

i currently have a gs500f with some mods (exhaust,sprocket,air filter)

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: nvill003 on December 31, 2006, 03:19:34 PM
i currently have a gs500f with some mods (exhaust,sprocket,air filter)

Theres a lightweight class bike right there. Have the forks redone and rear shock and add a bellypan and yer good to go.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

nvill003

sweet thanks for the advice

Super Dave

Actually, I think the GS500 would be legal in Ultralightweight Superbike even.

Go to http://www.ccsracing.us

There will be the new rule book that you can download, and that will give you some specifics. 

The GS isn't what we can call a top of the line race bike, but it can get you started at a low expense.

Minimally, it will have to be safety wired according to what CCS requires, not a lot, steel braided brake lines are always good, and a lower fairing that will hold oil in the event that the bike's engine pops or just blows out coolant or oil.

You'll need to be certified as a rider for a road racing license too.
Super Dave

nvill003

ok, so i have a little bit of work ahead of me to do on my gs. I know this may sounds a little stupid, but How do i get certified on my gs for a "road racing license"? :ahhh:. im a little lost with the racing scence :p and im just now starting from zero. thanks once again for the great info  :biggrin:

Super Dave

We're leading you a bit.

Scotty and I teach a riding school that also can certify you for your road racing license.  What is certification?  It's putting you through a program that measures your ability to deal with on track situations, track side communication, and the processes of racing, registration and the like.

Where are you located?

We don't do certifications exclusively.  There are some programs in different parts of the country that offer these services during the CCS weekend program.  I used to do that with CCS, but I wanted to work more on the mechanics of riding, suspension, etc.  We work with licensed road racers in some of our programs.
Super Dave

nvill003

well i figured you guys are much more experience than i am and thats cool that you guys teach other people. I'm currently located in Miami,fl but ill be moving over the summer to Jacksonville,fl. now what riding schools could you recommend that would teach enough so that i could everntually become certefied for a raod racing license?

Super Dave

Ok, I don't have any links...

Penguin Road Racing School comes to Florida during the winter and does some stuff..

I think Frank Kinsey might still does some stuff.

And Henry Degow runs the CCS Florida region...he might have a program there. 

Those would be my initial ideas for you.  Hopefully, some of the Florida dudes will chime in with some info.  Scotty and I are up in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas teaching at http://www.blackhawkfarms.com and http://www.hpt.com

Puts us a couple miles from you... :biggrin:
Super Dave

jimmyboost

Ed Bargy puts on racing schools at Jennings GP sometimes.  Its a sweet track and good place to go to a school.  Its fairly economical too.  Check the website out.

http://www.edbargyracingschool.com/