News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Will the grids be small this year?

Started by DRU2, January 28, 2003, 09:08:31 PM

gpconcepts

I agree with Eric. I've raced with and without transponders. The transponders are well worth any additional entry fees. For me, tires are by far the biggest part fo my racing budget. So much so that after years of using one brand I am switching simpily because of contingency money. If there is anywhere we should be concentrating our efforts it should be toward the gate fees for racers. Without us there is no show. No show means zero dollars going to the CCS and the track owners. 15 dollars per day just seems too steep. Just my humble opinion of course.

r6_philly

I didn't think the fee's that bad. Considering even Amatuers have 3 purse classes that are pretty easy(well relatively) to get your entry fee back while earning points and contengencies.

Transponder is cool. I remember at pocono last year, getting practice times in the rain and deciding to go buy rain tires because only 3 other people are using them and going 15 seconds faster :)

$5 increase is almost expected, without any increase in services provided. Getting the transponder for $5 is much better... it harder to score me off the lead lap in a GT race now  8)

All in all I am satisfied with the CCS product. But I do see that somepeople may be put off by the schedule...

Steviebee

Well, ill be doing some races for my first time this year.  So heres one newbie to add to the mix.

Im going to try to do the blackhawk races, RA, Gingerman.

Maybe Mid-america and Baber.   but its a long drive, I live in Indianapolis.

I'm pre-entred for the first 3 blackhawk races, RA and Gingerman.  We'll see how much "fun" i have .  Then we'll see about the rest.

Just got the racing body work in.  Now its painting time.  Any tips ??

OldRacer

wait till they make you practice on an ice cold track in 40 degrees so the street squids can ride when it's 60 degrees out... then let's see how you like their product.   it's been good in the past  but it just feels like we're getting screwed this year when we're supposed to be the core of their business.

i don't care if it costs 20 or 30 bucks more.  when you drive this far you want the time you get to be quality time, otherwise what's the point?  schedule practice so it can be used to set up the bikes.  street riders have NOTHING to prepare for so they should take a back seat to people who have serious setup to worry about.  it's not just about making for higher quality racing it's about safety.

Eric Kelcher

Seems like I heard that argument in the LP thread.

Okay just to add my spin. :D  I prefer more time between my practice and my race in order to get all things ready. New set of tires. get lunch and be sorted out relaxed.
I have seen/been there/scheduled races 30 minutes after practice ends. With Riders Meeting in that 30 minutes know how many riders were there for the meeting that were in the first race? about 25% not good not safe. Now when practice ends and you have a hour you start picking up at the riders meetings. And just FYI I would highly recommned that you either attend or have someone that will "sign in" for you at riders meetings in the future.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteWhy Rob... how sweet of you to offer to help John work on the bike! :-*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!  She smoked ya, dude!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

chris_chops

Quotewell as long as all the fun cool people come back.. it's okay with me :)
I agree, bring on the fun cool!

Super Dave

Years ago, there were no track days.  So, to get track time, you raced.  Over a period of time, track programs grew.  This offered the opportunity for riders to get on a track and ride, without racing.

This has hurt the racing organizations, period.  

The expenses for track rentals and insurance have gone up a whole lot in the past few years.  But the base of riders that would go to a race track now have a lot of alternatives.

I mean, really, how many motorcyclists actually have sport bikes?  Then, how many are actually sport riders?  Next, how many actually have would consider taking that bike on a track?  And finally, how many will race?  It is a smaller number, obviously.  With more track days, there has been less growth in road racing than what there could have been.

The AVERAGE racer lasts about two and a half years, I have always been told.  That should account for the guy that tries it and leaves when he finds that this kind of competition is not for him, and the guy that stays.

The expenses do continue to rise for the racer too.  In 1993, I would enter nine races, including GTU, GTO, and Unlimited Grand Prix for about $330.  I'd be there in a heart beat in fewer races now.  In 1987, it cost $60 for three races and tires for my GSXR were about $180.  
Super Dave

Super Dave

I think the number of races in a region are a bit excessive, too.  I mean, in the Midwest area, we'll race from April through early October, and we have fourteen event weekends?  Hey, that's every other weekend, really.  That's a whole lot of cash or credit to come up with.

I know the series championships help get riders to commit, and generate revenue for the racing organization, but would just few less dates help get more to attempt to follow the series?
Super Dave

ecumike

Playing off of what Dave said, We've got 3 races at Roebling, and they're 'Twin Sprints' weekends. I'd rather drive down there 3 times instead of 6. Saves on hotels, gas, etc...AND race entrys are overall cheaper.

r6_philly

QuotePlaying off of what Dave said, We've got 3 races at Roebling, and they're 'Twin Sprints' weekends. I'd rather drive down there 3 times instead of 6. Saves on hotels, gas, etc...AND race entrys are overall cheaper.

Thats one way to look at it, but us Mid-Atlantic guys are supposed to go to Roebling twice. a lot of MA guys are from New Jersey, now me included, will have to drive 800 miles, or 12 hours, twice, for a regional weekend? That is $160 in gas, $40 in tolls. So we will have to spend $400 just to get to the track twice. Then we have Barber, and going to Daytona twice, so My traveling Budget is at $1200 for 5 weekends. Then we have what, 8 closer rounds? This year's regional series will be bought mostly, whoever that can go to the away rounds (they are ALL double points, or twin sprints too) will get ahead.

Lets see who's waller last out the year

r6_philly

Plus, driving 12+ hours means missing work Friday, and the monday following, and we won't be able to get any friday practice, unless you wanna miss work Thursday too. May as well take a week off to race a regional weekend