First races

Started by cbr600_mj, December 14, 2006, 05:07:55 PM

cbr600_mj

Hello there,

Another noob question. When I do my first race(s) the LCR class I had taken suggested that I wear their shirt I recieved from the class.
So that the racers know that I'm new to all this.

What would you all reccommend..

1. wear it for one race and that's it?
2. wear it at least for (x) races?

Thanks in advance.

MJ

Eric Kelcher

Until you are comfortable.

At a new track and don't feel up to snuff throw the shirt on.
Doing some testing and off pace throw the shirt on.
Off pace throw the shirt on... etc
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Court Jester

If you're new to the whole track thing then at least wear it in practice. If folks see you are having trouble they will signal for you to follow them and help you out a little. They did for me anyway. I was nervous as hell at my first race and I think they could tell and offered a ton of help. Ended up helping me cut 6 seconds in one session by showing me a better line.
But then on the flip side, in the race I got lapped going into the last turn on the last lap. The guy shot by on the outside just before I went into the turn. We brushed knees and elbows and he was about half an inch from going into the grass. Scared the bajesus out of me. Then the second place expert did about the same thing in the center of the turn on the inside. Freaked me out, but they were both going for the win and just wanted by.
If they need to get by, they're going to get by however they have to, shirt or no shirt. But it does offer a heads up.
No set number on how long to wear it. Just wear it until you feel comfortable out there and feel like you can keep your cool packing in in the middle of a turn.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

cbr600_mj

Thanks for all the help.

MJ

r1owner

catman

Made me feel targeted :err: - wore it for 2 races then put it in mothballs and started looking ahead-john

r1owner

Of course having said that, I do always give more room or wait when I see someone wearing that shirt.

tstruyk

I wore mine under my leathers... over my 2 pair of thermal underwear... road america was COLD that year!!!!

Its nice to have a heads up on a new guy.. I like seeing guys wear em.  Most folks will give you a little more room or be a bit more "cordial" when passing.

Good luck!! 
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

LilJayRR

I didnt wear mine after taking the class, and I also didnt race the weekend I got my licence. I had done 3 or 4 track days before taking the class and attending a race weekend.  I felt fine out on the track at full race pace (or should I say at my race pace) the only part that made me worry was getting on the grid, and starting the race properly.
I do give riders with shirts on more leahway when making passes etc.. I dont want to spook them or something, they are under enough stress as it is.

Good luck, and have FUN!
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

r1owner

Quote from: tstruyk on December 15, 2006, 01:55:54 PM
I wore mine under my leathers... over my 2 pair of thermal underwear... road america was COLD that year!!!!

Damn, how did you get all that clothing under your leathers!

SV88

I did my first 10 races last year.  During one of my first practices at BHF a rider touched faring while passing me on the inside, slowed down and looked at me ... WTF!!.  One of the most important rules - hold your line but leave 18" on either side of you at all times.  Someone will try to pass you even if there is 3".  Get used to riders on faster bikes pulling away from you on the straights then parking it on the corners.  Once you get your corner speed up, it's much harder for them to pass on anything shorter than a Road America Straight.

Rule 2:  Never compromise blend line or cut across the track to exit.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

251am

As Eric said, wear it until you're comfortable. I believe the rule of thumb  :thumb: is generally to wear it your first weekend, or when you move up to Expert.    :biggrin: