News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gateway strategies

Started by ice, January 28, 2003, 12:45:02 AM

ice

I need help with two specific areas of this track.

The first is coming off of the access road back onto the front straight (at the end of Nascar turn 4),  I have tried a few different lines through here and I always seem to kill my drive down the front straight. Everyone either catches up if they are behind me or they pull away if in front of me.  I usually try and hit the transition as squarely as possible to prevent a nasty crash into the cement wall at the top of the track, but it just seems that everyone else is much faster through here.

The other spot is turn one.  I tucked the front several times last year as I hit the pavement transition from oval to road course.  I was able to save it every time fortunately, but it is the fastest turn on the track and I saw a few too many guys bounce off of those tires.....  
In an effort to save my skin, I have been braking way earlier than I want to and apexing in from the top of the track.  I try and cross the pavement transition at significantly less than full lean to aid traction and then accelerate hard into turn 2.  
I haven't crashed, but once again I feel like everyone else has an advantage here.

Has anyone tried turning in from the bottom of the track?  I've been thinking that maybe this is a better way to go as the pavement transition would occur early in the apex at less than full lean which theoretically would provide more traction.

Can anybody help?????

tzracer

The smoothest line for the last turn is to aim at the far end of the transition (to riders left). This is the smoothest line. This also seems to be one of those corners (the chicane) that you are better off entering a little slow, so you can get back on the throttle sooner.

Turn 1
Are you on the gas, coasting, or braking when the front is sliding? Have you tried different lines? Have you tried any suspension adjustments (are your forks stock)?

It is certainly a corner where you don't want to fall.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

ice

Brian.....Thanks for the advice.  

Regarding turn one....... when I was losing the front, I was turning in from the middle of the track and I was back on the gas at significant lean as I crossed onto the road course pavement.

The motorcycle was a '99 R1 with Traxxion forks and an Ohlins shock.
The rear ride height was set significantly below stock.  My mechanic suggested that since I was new to the track and going relatively slow, a lower ride height in the rear would cause the motorcycle to be more stable.  
Other than losing the front in turn 1, the suspension setup worked very well for the rest of the course.

I could theorize that a low rear ride height coupled with being on the gas took a significant load off of the front wheel making it more prone to slide on the bump.  Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of bike setup or line selection to make an intelligent conclusion on this one.

I've since changed my line.  I am turning in from the top of the track and completing the majority of my turning while still on the Nascar Oval.  The bike is more upright as I cross the bump and hence I haven't had any slides.

I feel that I should be able to carry some unbelievably serious speed through this turn.  From my perspective, the pit wall makes this turn more difficult because it is difficult to look up the track through to the end of the turn.
It seems that I should be able to find a good line and perfect turn in point that will allow me to carry huge speed through the pavement transition and apex to the extreme outside of the track between 1 and 2 setting up for a killer drive out of 2 for the second longest straight on the track.  

Instead, I seem to be slowing down too much and following the rest of the amatuers down the middle of the track between turns 1 and 2.  I think this is a result combination of the fear of losing the front on the bump and the inability to see down the track.

I guess I'm looking for the braking points and lines that the fast guys (like you) are using through here...

Thanks again

sdiver68

FWIW, its my observation that the fast guys are following the line you are using now through 1.  Your description of 2 seems a bit off, though.

Also, 2 lines have been mentioned through the chicane that both work OK, there is a 3rd that IMO the fast guys use, but its way out of control.  I started using it my last weekend there and it works, but not for the faint of heart.

Being a local, I put in a request that I know went to track managment to smooth out the transition from the pit road to the oval @ the chicane.  If that is acted on, then at least the bump part of the equation should be much less.

My braking point for 1 is a seam in the track, I'm sure that doesn't help yoiu, other than to say most amateurs brake WAY too early into 1.
MCRA Race School Instructor

ice

Sdiver.. Thanks for the help

Sorry to see you leave us Am's... It was a lot of fun racing with you last year.

Looks like I'll have to try and catch Speedballer this year.

Maybe I can sneak out during an even practice session and follow you around for a few laps to check out your line and brake marker going into 1.

I'm glad February is a short month.......  

Super Dave

Rear ride height....

I think that is part of the key to your problem....

You also have squat/anti-squat effects that are happening at the rear too.  Would potentially give you grief off the gas...
Super Dave

tzracer

I would put the rear ride height at least back to stock as Dave suggests. Might also try increasing the rebound adjustment of the front suspension.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

khanson

Put some ride height in it ....baby.

Bikes come from the factory with low ride height so short people can touch the ground.  Also keeps the bike from turning in too quickly for the street riders.

Hmmm....seems like somebody told me this once
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

diesel748

K
I think you told me that same thing @ the 4&6 seminar a few months ago. Thanks again for your advice on my 748 set up.

chris_chops

Watch out for Hanson throwin' water at ya!  He'll do anything for the Win.  Gateway sucks, not a real racetrack.  That's all my whine for now!  

ice

It's unanimous (sp??)

I guess there's nothing else to do but "Back that a** up!" :o

r1owner

QuoteAlso, 2 lines have been mentioned through the chicane that both work OK, there is a 3rd that IMO the fast guys use, but its way out of control.  I started using it my last weekend there and it works, but not for the faint of heart.

Hmmmm....what line is that Steve? ;)

I can tell you that I was hitting that incline hard enough to compress my suspension all the way, and be way out of shape when coming out of that turn.  It did seem to be the fastest way through it though. :)