Newb needs help picking class

Started by jimmyboost, November 26, 2006, 11:26:37 PM

jimmyboost

Hey guys, I just joined the forum and I just got my license this year.  I currently have an SV and love it, but I'm wondering if I would be better off picking up a 600 to do C superstock for 07'(I'll mainly be racing WERA).  I know the grid sizes are pretty big compared to LW Twins, but I'm worried about being bumped up to expert while racing LW Twins before I have any 600 experience and being a hazard to other riders then when I do get a 600 (because I definitely want to ride C superstock some day).  Any guidance you guys can give would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks,

Jim

K3 Chris Onwiler

Your logic cuts through all the usual "Buy an SV" advice, since it seems that what you really want as a goal is to race a 600.  Yes, you probably will get the bump faster on an SV, and yes, you will have a much harder (and more expensive) time of it on a 600.  But you realize these things already, and have stated as much in your post.  So you might as well do what fits with your goals.
Good luck!  600 is freaking CRAZY as an amateur, and it doesn't exactly settle down once you turn expert.  Have fun!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

If you can race a bike well, you can usually race a bike well. 

Like K3 said, expense will be the thing.  Depending upon how fast you are on a 600, your tire bill will increase dramatically.  Best part of the rear tire lasts 6 to 18 laps.  You can go really fast on an SV on a tire for a long time before it dramatically drops off.
Super Dave

clutch

The best part of an SV tire is around the 6 - 18 lap range also.  Remember, the key to the SV is blazing corner speed, alot of power applied smoothly and quickly to the rear, cuz your not really gaining anything on the straights on an SV.

benprobst

the sv is such a great starter bike because it teaches you skills that CARRY OVER DIRECTLY TO THE 600'S. thats why alot of young guys race them, you dont all of the sudden forget how to trail brake deep, or be smooth, or carry good corner speed when you move to the 600's. The LAST place I would want to be is the middle of the am. 600 class, and you can always ask for a downgrade one time, I plan on doing so despite having a succesful season for essentially the same reason you are worried about.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

jimmyboost

I appreciate all of the input guys.  You've really helped me make my decision.  Looks like I'll be on the SV in 07.

funsizeracing

Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Spooner

Quote from: benprobst on November 27, 2006, 11:06:46 PMThe LAST place I would want to be is the middle of the am. 600 class

with as much as you fell down the last weekend I bet the 600 guys are glad you aren't with them!  :lmao:

Not that I can talk cause I think everyone crashed that weekend lol!
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

benprobst

yup on the 5th lap just when I was about to pass you, despite starting from the last spot on the am. grid, you went crashing into the grass.  :biggrin: but yeah that weekend sucked, it looks like someone installed the front wheel on backwards, pointing the rain tire in the wrong direction. but, despite the worst weekend of the year I still got 2 1st, a 2nd, and got second in qualifying  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Jack_Brock

I think Spooner crashed because he was the first one to hit the rain.  Since he was in front of everybody when he went down, we all had the chance to identify there was a problem and slow down.  Anyway, it seems Spooner was a victim of changing conditions, not his own stupidity.  I'm sure it is all a joke, I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about Nick as he is a very safe rider.

www.caferacerinc.com
GP Expert #914

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Spooner

Quote from: Jack_Brock on November 29, 2006, 10:45:51 AM
I think Spooner crashed because he was the first one to hit the rain.  Since he was in front of everybody when he went down, we all had the chance to identify there was a problem and slow down.  Anyway, it seems Spooner was a victim of changing conditions, not his own stupidity.  I'm sure it is all a joke, I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about Nick as he is a very safe rider.

Haha-thanks Jack!  Since that was my 2nd crash in 5 years I think I have a fairly good track record lol!  I was just trying to beat that damn Wu guy in the championship!
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

benprobst

yeah I was just kidiing around, lord knows i have no room to talk after my weekend. luckily my uncle and I had worked out a signal of patting his head if it started raining at the pit wall, when i came out of the corner before the chicane he was jumping up and down hitting his head, at that point I knew someone would crash, sadly spooner and the other amatuer were sent sliding off the track, and yes spooner is a very safe rider, kinda girly but safe  :biggrin:
Home of the GSXR 565

tstruyk

just cause he's built like a 12 year old girl, doesnt make him girly...  :rollseyes:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Spooner

Quote from: benprobst on November 29, 2006, 06:02:59 PMluckily my uncle and I had worked out a signal of patting his head if it started raining at the pit wall, when i came out of the corner before the chicane he was jumping up and down hitting his head, at that point I knew someone would crash,

You know its funny, it must have been him I saw pointing up at the sky coming in front of the grand stands.  I thought "hmmm..wonder if he is saying its.. WOAHHHH!!!" (insert crashing sounds here)
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

Snacktime

Do you want to race or do really fast track days? That's the difference between 600s and SV's.
The 600 grids are always the biggest. That way you will more often than not have someone to race aginst instead of being out there all alone. Not to mention you can "bump up" much easier on a 600. If you enter a middleweight race on an SV and you'll most likely get killed, enter a heavyweight let alone unlimited race on a 600 and you have a fighting chance.  -Snack