Tenative 2007 Schedule

Started by extrakt0r, November 22, 2006, 01:34:36 PM

extrakt0r

Quote from: Super Dave on November 29, 2006, 06:58:23 PM
Numbers of racers on the grid goes up and down in cycles. 

Then the lawyers took over a bit more, and track days for cars and bikes drove up the prices for track rentals through increased demand. 

Simply put, racing isn't inexpensive, and it probably shouldn't be.  Something less expensive is a track day.  Tires can live for a long time when they don't have to perform at a higher limit, and there's no need for a new bike for contingency or for the personal feeling that a new bike will make one more competitive.

The reason Racing is so expensive is not becuase of CCS IMO...Or the lawyers...

Entry Fees are the cheapest part of this sport...

$325 for a set of tires is plain rip off...

There is so much VAR in this business, between Tires, $12+ for a gallon of Gas, $1K for exhaust systems that do not cost $200 to make, $400 rearsets here and there...Everyone fees it is necessary to mark everything up 150%...

I see the LP Dealer book, and I wasn't born yesterday...The Vendors of this sport is what kills the sport, not CCS or WERA or CRA...

The RACING part is the cheap part...

Sure, Lawyers may have made Entry Fees go up, but I can race a Good amount of races in one weekend, and still not spend as much on all those entry fees as one set of tires...

This whole business is based on Maximum Price for the smallest quantinty...That is why this business suffers on all fronts...

Just all IMO's...
Mike Simone
CCS/ASRA Great Plains EX #619
www.teamsimoneracing.com

2005 CCS AM Unlimited GP Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperBike Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperSport Champion

ahastings

Quote from: extrakt0r on November 29, 2006, 08:17:54 PM

I see the LP Dealer book, and I wasn't born yesterday...The Vendors of this sport is what kills the sport, not CCS or WERA or CRA...

I think you are confused on vendors. Maybe manufactures, but not vendors. If you look at the LP catalog the average markup is only about 30% to full retail and that is about average. Most racers never want to pay full retail.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Court Jester

There is so much VAR in this business, between Tires, $12+ for a gallon of Gas, $1K for exhaust systems that do not cost $200 to make, $400 rearsets here and there...Everyone fees it is necessary to mark everything up 150%...

Sure, Lawyers may have made Entry Fees go up, but I can race a Good amount of races in one weekend, and still not spend as much on all those entry fees as one set of tires...

This whole business is based on Maximum Price for the smallest quantinty...That is why this business suffers on all fronts...

Just all IMO's...

i agree 100%
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

HAWK

Just all IMO's...

The answer there is a spec series. To be cheap on tires it would have to be a lightweight bike at most and the rules would have to be STOCK PERIOD. If you are looking for a cheap class then the $1000 shock and $250 rearsets don't fit.  Some of you will absolutely hate it but that is why you have 19 other classes to run. With a spec series you could attract the track riders with small budgets that aren't sure they want to go 160 MPH....yet :biggrin:
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Super Dave

I raced a spec class.  Certain parts were restricted.  So, you had to use OEM...and their cost was above what the aftermarket had to offer.  Cheating occured too, at a high cost, but it was virtually impossible to police. 

If your not "designed" as the appropriate rider for the bike, you're at a disadvanage.

And you can also eliminate contingency sponsorship dollars/certificates, in addition to most sponsorships.

WSB has spec tires.  Teams used to be able to set up sponsorships.  Now everyone pays, increasing team costs.

Did it change the results?  Bayliss was still a winner.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Just all IMO's...

Cost of insurance for CCS at Daytona is $42k plus.

The last time I paid for daily insurance for  my school, it had almost doubled from what it was a a few years prior.

Mark up?  Well, that's capitalism, and it is a good thing. 

$325 for a set of tires?  In Europe the tires that are pretty much the same, there are usually variations in compound and construction for different regions, cost around $500.  Is that a rip off?  I raced on the tires of seven, fifteen, and twenty years ago...these are better and more versitile;  a real value for the cost.

As for any comparison to four car tires...doesn't apply as cars have completely different loads.  And give me a set of high performance tires on a race track on my car...they aren't going to last long either.
Super Dave

251am

Quote from: Jeff on November 28, 2006, 08:54:38 AM
Point is, the tracks are there.  There are orgs that run them.  If you're really bummed, get another license and run a few weekends with another org at the track you love.  It might do you some good!

+1   Does anyone race @ Putnam or is it just a trackday venue now?

Jeff

Todd, check with Putnam and  see what they have on the schedule for 07.

Guys, look as mentioned, racing is not cheap.  Can it be cheap?  Absolutely.  However, the amount which you CAN spend is virtually unlimited.  I know guys who run an entire season for a couple thousand bucks.  They run take-offs, pump gas, stock everything and only a couple races.  They aren't winning anything, but they're having fun and being happy.

If WINNING and constantly improving is your "fun and happy", it costs money.  Period...

Put it another way...

There are people who are happy enough on life.
There are others who are made happy through a few drinks every now and again
There are others who are made happy through a 12pk a night
There are yet others who put $1k up their nose each day and still aren't happy

It's all in who you are and your intended goals.  And for reference, there is a SHITLOAD of support available for the 'average guy'.  You just need to be more competitive in marketing yourself than the others are...

Racing costs money.  Racing itself, of ANY nature is not cheap.  It is an elite sport.  Think of it as owning your own personal football team.  Each person has their own team which they must run and support.  It's expensive!  There's no way around it.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: RCR_531 on November 29, 2006, 07:22:51 PM
It is nice that Dean will let you buy a race license per event. I was looking at doing some WERA but after everything I would have to buy or rent I gave up on that idea.

FYI the one event license is available at all tracks other than Daytona.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

tzracer

I have switched to racing a 125.

Why? It is the most fun I have had racing. It is the cheapest bike I have ever raced. Cheaper than (a properly cared for) SV.

Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Jeff on November 30, 2006, 08:52:04 AM

Guys, look as mentioned, racing is not cheap.  Can it be cheap?  Absolutely.  However, the amount which you CAN spend is virtually unlimited.  I know guys who run an entire season for a couple thousand bucks.  They run take-offs, pump gas, stock everything and only a couple races.  They aren't winning anything, but they're having fun and being happy.

+1. I think 03 was my "biggest outlay of cash" racing in CCS. Maybe $4000 for the year. Old reliable F2. Tires lasted 3 weekends. Ran on 93octane pump gas. 3 races a weekend (t-bike, hwss, gtu or mwss). Still had fun especially playing in hwss with Kimmie and the TLR.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Burt Munro

Quote from: tzracer on November 30, 2006, 12:27:10 PM
I have switched to racing a 125.

Why? It is the most fun I have had racing. It is the cheapest bike I have ever raced. Cheaper than (a properly cared for) SV.

Brian,

You forgot the biggest plus for a 125.  It's easy to bump start.....  especially when you're in kind of a hurry!!   :kicknuts:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!