Pit Bike Suggestions

Started by grich575, November 20, 2006, 10:35:44 PM

grich575

Looking to buy a new pit bike and want some input. I have found many different 110 & 125cc pit bikes that all resemble each other. I ran across this 150cc as well:

http://www.scooterdepot.us/details.asp?ProductID=373

Anyone have any suggestions. I like the idea of 12" rear and 14" front tires but other than that I really only want a bike that will hold up to some bordom abuse. Our local bike shop sells the Xtreme brand or name and they look pretty good but are $2100. Will one of these cookie cutter off brands hold up or do you get what you pay for with these? Thanks
G. Richards
FL EX #613
'06 GSX-R600
www.vcsracing.com

coolice

I purchased a Honda Elite 80, 4 stroke, street legal, can carry passenger. Has room for toolbox, can pull pit cart, and is economical to run. Worked all season for us (Jamesgang Racing #70)
"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys"
CCS#958
Crew chief Jamesgang /Hoban Bros.Racing #70 Buell   
2008 Team Challenge GT Lights Champion
2007 & 2008 MotoST GST 3rd overall

251am

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

r1owner

more and more tracks are requiring pit vehicles be street legal (and possibly licensed)... something to consider.

Team_Serpent

Spooner

Scooters are the best because you can carry a passenger, you don't have to shift them, and you can put a wheel in front of you to run to the tire guy.. 
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

K3 Chris Onwiler

I have a ratty little Yamaha Razz 50.  It's a piece of shit, but I'm in it for less than $400, including license plate and title transfer.  I have a spare Razz that I pulled out of a dumpster, and it runs too, but with no title I just keep it for parts.  On the plus side, I don't care if it gets knocked over!
For sure you want to get something street legal, and get a plate for it.  In the not-to-distant future, off-road pit vehicles will be banned entirely.  Already you can't leave the fenced-in pit area at Mid Ohio on one, ( I had my Razz impounded there this summer for no licence plate) and Blackhawk will make you buy a sticker if your machine is not street-legal and plated.  Other tracks will surely follow with similar rules.
Too many people have caused damage and injury on their pit bikes, so  the tracks (and their insurance companies) are just about out of toleration.  You wouldn't want to buy something now, then not be able to use it later.
A Zuma or that Suzuki GSXR scooter would be ideal if you're willing to spend the money.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

GSXR RACER MIKE

But then there's Daytona, no licensed pit vehicles, I saw numerous guys turned away at the pit gate due to having a license plate on their pit vehicle. I think the way to get around it is to have the plate quickly removable for when your in the infield/pits at Daytona, then put it back on to leave the property. Also, bicycles are a big NO-NO at Daytona as well!

I've been tossing around what to get for a pit vehicle as well, Damn BS insurance companies will have everyone in padded rooms soon enough to keep us all from possibly living life and having any fun at all! :finger:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

funsizeracing

Daytona's pit bike policy is messed up.  We didn't even have to take the plates off, just put duc tape over it and wrote #410 with a magic marker..  :wtf:
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

goldwing70

QuoteI've been tossing around what to get for a pit vehicle as well, Damn BS insurance companies will have everyone in padded rooms soon enough to keep us all from possibly living life and having any fun at all! finger

Don't we all love trial lawyers, insurance companies, and lawsuit happy folks?  It's all in the name of "safety"  :spank:

r1owner

At the last BHF, my pit vehicle was a 1500 Silverado.