second gen sv650

Started by HAWK, November 20, 2006, 05:10:51 PM

HAWK

Anybody know if an 05 sv650 motor is the same as an 03? Or did they make changes that would prevent the 05 from being a good spare.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

badmonkey

They are all the same. I have a 2000 motor in a 2005 frame..
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

benprobst

+1, it will work, hell you could put either one of them into a 1st gen frome and not have that ugly black frame :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

APP_Racing

A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

funsizeracing

I only wish I was cool enough to have a black ugly frame!

Nothing to do with the original post, but I'm looking for some upgrades on the SV over the winter.  I'm having a hard time finding anything (forks, slipper clutch, brakes kits, all the fun stuff) that fits on the SV, is there a secret I don't know about?  I know its out there.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

tzracer

Slipper clutch - Yoyodyne - $800. I liked mine.

Forks - I just had the emulators and modified damping rods (actually made my own aluminum rods - better have the correct alloy) and used Attack triple clamps.

Brakes - Carbon Lorrain pads, Brembo radial master cylinder, replaced brake lines.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

benprobst

Quote from: funsizeracing on November 22, 2006, 09:52:07 AM

Nothing to do with the original post, but I'm looking for some upgrades on the SV over the winter.  I'm having a hard time finding anything (forks, slipper clutch, brakes kits, all the fun stuff) that fits on the SV, is there a secret I don't know about?  I know its out there.

come over to my house becka, i gots all kind of cool sv stuff laying around, granted you cant have it, but you can look at it :-). ohh and when i said black, i meant to say block, the new frame is all blocky, i think its ugly but they are definetly faster. anyway becka, if you are tired of ss you could put a gsxr front end on the bike, as well as put some intake cams on the exhaust side of your 2nd gen bike. also aftermarket brake rotors are cool, EBC and Brembo are great, havent ridden BRAKING before but im sure they are good. get a brembo master cyclinder for sure, and you can also pick one out that will be much easier for you to squeez and be much more adjustable (for your weeee little hands) ive got brembo calipers up front on mine and they are faaaaaaaantastic, but again not for ss. but from looking at you bike, I see tons of stuff could that could be made much lighter or just taken off for that matter, but then again you weigh 90 lbs, cheater. :-)
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

HAWK

So the answer is that I could even take a first gen motor and just bolt up the Fuel Injection stuff and stick it in the 03?
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

benprobst

yup, I think so. I know you can put a 2nd gen efi motor in a first gen frame. Its a bit more involved than just bolting on the FI stuff, you have to do a few other things, i believe you have to go inside the motor and open or block off a hole or delivery line somewhere, im not positive, if you need more info you can pm me ive got the info stored somewhere. seeing that you have to go into the motor to change things, im not sure if it is ss legal, granted you probably wont get busted, especially not with ccs, but it could be illegal though would offer no real gains.
Home of the GSXR 565

K3 Chris Onwiler

Paul, I'm 90% sure that all the FI bikes use an identical motor.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

HAWK

Thanks Guys,

I don't know yet if I'm running SS or not so that may not be an issue anyway but with the 03's propensity for breaking cranks I'm just looking for backup stuff.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

goldwing70

Quote from: funsizeracing on November 22, 2006, 09:52:07 AM

I'm parting out my SV superbike with lots of  goodies left.  Here is the link: http://riderforums.com/showthread.php?p=294889#post294889   I can also help with a slipper clutch

SV88

Quote from: Hawk on November 25, 2006, 05:44:19 AM
Thanks Guys,

I don't know yet if I'm running SS or not so that may not be an issue anyway but with the 03's propensity for breaking cranks I'm just looking for backup stuff.

Paul - seems that you've got more time than money on your hands - why don't you tear the motor down, magneflux and peform other treatment on the crank and put it back together. 
My plan is simply to lose 20 lb, get into serious shape (motocrossing/mountain biking and basketball), work on reflexes/reaction speed, do a compression test/leakdown on the motor and if everything is OK.  Drop in an aftermarket BMC filter, put in better pads, change brake fluid, switch to iridium, sparks, replace the dead stock battery with a lighte one etc..  Looks like my clutch cover is leaking badly - will go to an aftermarket one.

I take it that you are recovering nicely...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

johnny scheff

Paul,  I think that you would be way better off with a motor out of an International Tractor.  Tons of torque.  Or better yet swap it out with a GS500 motor,  then I might be able to pass you.  Later - Johnny

SV88

Johnny, Paul:  The bad news (for Paul) is that both Johnny and I will have a year to improve our cornering speed.  The good news is that the 3 of us will compete in 2008 for the championship!!
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

clutch

There are several small differences.  If you are taking a first generation motor and putting it into a 2nd gen bike you need to do the following:

Put the FI motors Gear positioning sensor on the 1st gen motor (you will spit codes if you have the 1st gen GPS on the FI bike, wont work right)  ** the GPS is located next to the stator case cover and has a wire that goes to the wiring harness in the tail section.  Routes along the same routing line as the stator wiring harness connector.

Put the FI  motors generator and stator on the 1st gen motor (the FI stators and generators are completely different, along with the wiring harness hookup that comes out of the stator)

You must block off the pair valve opening on the bottom of the FI motor air box.  Just the opening where the pair valve tube goes into.  A simple vacuum cap will work.  The 1st gen, or some of them dont use the pair valve system.  Pair valve hoses are the hoses that come off the top of the front and rear valve covers and go to the air box.

After this, you are gold.  The motors are the same internally.

Everything else is the same

HAWK

Thanks Sean,

I'm brand new to the SV so I'm trying to learn as I go and start to put together some spares. Thanks for the info, I'll be printing that and putting it with my notes.

Paul
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

clutch

No problem, let me know if you have anyother questions I might be able to help with