Polished wheels in LWSS???

Started by backMARKr, November 17, 2006, 04:17:22 PM

backMARKr

What is the verdict on polished wheels? Is this legal?

and before you ask WHY???

We seem to have gotten most winter projects done and the tinkering has ensued.... :jerkoff:

any input would be appreciated...thanks
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Super Dave

Well, I know at one time polished wheels were not legal.  But that might have been a few years ago.

If the rule book states that you cannot have polished wheels supersport, then it isn't legal in supersport.  If it says nothing, then it's fine.

Polished wheels should be no problem in Superbike or Grand Prix.
Super Dave

funsizeracing

You mean polished like polished aluminum?  Why would it be illegal to be shiny?  Maybe I'm a moron, and just don't get it.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Super Dave

You could do many things while polishing.  First, remove the anodizing.  That can guard from corrosion, etc.  You will remove some material, which could change its ability to carry a load. 

I know that at one time it was illegal somewhere.  But someone will have to read the rule book again to get an exact answer.  I know that it was illegal at one time in supersport
Super Dave

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: funsizeracing on November 17, 2006, 04:27:38 PM
You mean polished like polished aluminum?  Why would it be illegal to be shiny?  Maybe I'm a moron, and just don't get it.

Supposed to be "stock appearing". Dont know if its still enforced aor not like dave said. Personally polishing rims (and any other parts) on a racebike is a waste of time. You can paint rims and still be ss legal. See a few neon colored rims in ss classes and they arent stock colours.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Team_Serpent

Not sure I've ever heard anything about the wheels but I thought at one time the frame was a no, no.  Something about guys were seeing a weight reduction of 5-7 lbs. when polishing the frame.  I would imagine that the wheels would loose some weight after removal of powder coating and some loss of material during polishing.

backMARKr

Dave and Jason,

Mitch Stein was under the impression that is was illegal considering the removal of material/weight reduction aspect. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Rob --- as I said looking for "tinkering" jobs to do over winter for entertainment value and no cost involved other than time. AND makes the bike look nice to boot. So not really a waste from my view...

Thanks for the input

MAS
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

tzracer

There are bike(s) in supersport with lightened wheels. It appears to be legal. The rulebook does not say that the stock wheels cannot be modified.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Team_Serpent

Quote from: tzracer on November 21, 2006, 02:33:53 PM
There are bike(s) in supersport with lightened wheels. It appears to be legal. The rulebook does not say that the stock wheels cannot be modified.

I'm interested in learning more - can you PM me with an example of how to lighten stock wheels without removal of powder coating please.

boo181

the wheels on my '01 GSXR were polished and i was nevedr told that i couldn't race SS with them. thats not to say thats its legal, was just never called on it. i just assumed it was ok sense i was never told otherwise.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Hmmm, for any of you machinists or motor heads out there this could possibily be an extrude hone application.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

tzracer

Quote from: Team_Serpent on November 21, 2006, 05:42:30 PM
I'm interested in learning more - can you PM me with an example of how to lighten stock wheels without removal of powder coating please.

The lightening that I know of was done on the outside of the wheel. Mostly removing the rib in the center of the wheel onto which the stock wheel weights clamp.

Inside I would just remove all the casting flaws, bumps etc. All while keeping the wheel balanced.

Not sure if all the work is worth the small gain.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke