Inside Helmet Communicator - do you use?

Started by TrophyGal, November 16, 2006, 06:37:54 PM

TrophyGal

Since the Moto-ST teams will be required to use communications between their crew during the race, I was wondering how many of you have used  .. or plan to use .. in-helmet communication systems.

Let's start a discussion with a critique on different brands .. ease of use, cost and/or value for the buck etc. would be good.  Any experiences to share?  Recommendations anyone?

Gixxerblade

I got a quote from a guy on the WERA board that develops them for $1200 give or take. It is supposed to be one of the best on the market. He supposedly did all the research and even Miguel DuHamel used one during last years Daytona 200. Can't remember the guys name or company though.

Court Jester

i think it would be too dstracting myself. i tried the i-pod thing cause folks said that it helped them out. i hated it. i couldn't keep my mind on what i was doing. the last thing i would want is someone to talk to me and/or expect me to talk to them.
and sooner or later my ol' lady's going to get ahold of the darned thing. "slow down, be careful, you know how much that thing cost, pick up some milk..." OMFG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

PJ

We used an AutoCom system (http://www.autocomamerica.com) for the MOTO-ST 8 Hours at Daytona. I have to admit, despite my initial skepticism, it worked really well. We tested it during one practice session and one race at Gingerman in October. At Daytona, you could hear the rider from anywhere on the track. For the rider, it was difficult to clearly hear the crew at high speed on the banking, but not bad in the infield.

It wasn't really that distracting. At worst, my crew chief would say something when I was busy and couldn't talk. I'd just wait to talk back on a straight or when I wasn't in traffic.

The system paid for itself when we had full course caution pace car situations (twice). I was able to work with my crew chief to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do, when the pits were open, etc. Pretty worthwhile for a long endurance race.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Super Dave

We used rider communication with Dale Quarterley in the 1993 or 1994 Daytona 200. 

Dale was allowed to talk when ever he wanted, but pit communication to was limited to specific areas of the track, such as when he was on the banking so that he wouldn't loose focus.
Super Dave

251am

We have used several different systems but only out on the road touring. Overpriced and most of them sucked. Have not tried any systems lately. I would guess that as PJ said Auto-Com has progressed the furthest, as they have been at it quite a while.

Problems/solutions we found;

Booster systems were always needed. There's a guy out West from Reno we used. I think he sells out of Aerostich's catalog now. The X-1 system I believe.

All too often engine or wind noise would key the mic and leave it open-frustrating.

Speaker fixment/placement in the helmet, and getting them to stay put for good hearing. 

Jeff

I thought about using my bluetooth headset and cell phone, but never went for it.  I wanted it just for reception purposes (get your ass moving!!  - you've got a huge gap, just bring it home, etc...)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

spyderchick

Hi Paul, Greg showed me the video that was taken during the Moto-ST race. Very cool. BTW...Fuel is flamable. Made for some real drama! Great job to everyone on the crew!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

PJ

Quote from: spyderchick on November 17, 2006, 10:39:10 AM
Hi Paul, Greg showed me the video that was taken during the Moto-ST race. Very cool. BTW...Fuel is flamable. Made for some real drama! Great job to everyone on the crew!

Yep, the crew, especially Kelli Michels (wife of fellow Buell racer Tom Michels) on the fire extinguisher, saved the day. That could have gotten ugly in a hurry. As it was, we were pretty lucky nobody got hurt, and the bike was fine.

Next time we'll be properly outfitted with a dry brake system.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

TrophyGal

Quote from: PJ on November 16, 2006, 10:06:17 PM
We used an AutoCom system (http://www.autocomamerica.com) for the MOTO-ST 8 Hours at Daytona. I have to admit, despite my initial skepticism, it worked really well.

Good stuff, Paul!  Nice to know.

RCR_531

Nolan is making a helmet with Bluetooth headset built into it.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports