Started by wolf44, November 05, 2006, 09:05:36 PM

What do you pull your trailer to the track with

Diesel
20 (66.7%)
Gas
10 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

svracer469

There is a GREAT comparison write up in this Month's issue of Diesel Power Magazine too...great shoot-out power/economy/vs costs...

Vic Hyman
svracer469@yahoo.com
1999 SV650
2000 Ford Regency F350 7.3L Turbo Diesel

Hollywood

Hey guys, I just wanted to drop my 2 in as well. I think that the positives and negatives of each powerplant can be discussed for days. I've personally had better experiences with a diesel than a gas motor. I towed a 16 ft haulmark packed to the gills in 2005 with a 2005 5.3 Tahoe LT. Even with mods to the motor, it only got about 12 MPG, and didn't handle real well, even with trailer sway barsl.  But it sure was comfy. Then in 06 BG gave me a 2003 Dodge 3500 dually with the Cummins in it.....holy crap. I've discovered that even with almost the same amount of mileage per gallon, power is not a concern with that particular truck, at ANY speed. That company truck was also stock.  I learned that a truck that is very comfortable, with moderate power and handling will be parked in exchange for a boring interior and more power that I'll ever need(until a semi).

Overall vote: oil burner, anyday
ASRA/CCS EX#20  
www.rpmmotorsportsracing.com

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: benprobst on November 06, 2006, 12:46:44 AM
Plain in simple the diesel will be cooler, work better, and most likely will last longer. However, when it comes down to pure dollars, if you get equal quality trucks one with a diesel and one with a gas burner, the amount of miles you will have to put on to pay not only for the difference in purchase price, but also generally higher fuel prices will be alot. So basically the diesel by far a superior towing vehicle, but economically it rarely wins.

From what I was seeing Diesel got somewhere around 150% the mileage that gas did with the same load in the same conditions and it had plenty of power doing it, yet the fuel prices I have seen have mid-grade gas at about 90% the cost of Diesel. I kinda have an issue with the economical comparison you made, It's sad that most people will look at what is cheapest to their pocket book instead of what's best for the environment. This is kinda like the arguement that adding extra insulation when you have a house built would take 'X' amount of years to pay for itself and wouldn't be economically worth it, yet what is missed is the fact that there will be that much less pollution created by consuming less energy (imagine if all houses did this!). Diesel fuel is now currently being refined further than ever before (due to a government requirement begining at the end of the summer 2006) to provide even cleaner burning Diesel fuel that will have even more power because of it as well. Begining with 2007 Diesel engines they are designed specifically to run on this new fuel at extremely low emission levels, hence the warning stickers on the Diesel pumps that are not carrying the new Diesel yet warning not to use it in model year 2007 and newer vehicles. Diesel engines prior to the 2007 model year still benefit from this new fuel with lower emissions and more power also.

Not trying to be a jerk, this is just something that bothers me. I look at it like if I have to have a tow vehicle I want one that's going to do it well while getting better mileage and creating less pollution. Just my opinion. 8)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Court Jester

i got an 06 duramax. had a HUGE f350 diesel but it was over kill and the power stroke was always getting smoked. went to the 2500hd and have LOVED it.
at the moment i just pull a 22 foot enclosed trailer. if i can find the right one i'll have a good toy hauler for next year.
the milage isn't really that great pulling. about 9-12 mpg. but i set the cc pretty high. the few times i'm not pulling something, 15-19 mpg. really depeneds on how hard i'm driving.
but i love it.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Steviebee

for the info.

i pull 6x12 enclosed pace trailer about 3000 pounds.

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4  4.0 sohc  and get about 12 mpg.  using overdrive  (got a chip/exhaust/intake)  at  75mph

only would get 10 mpg without OD at 75mph without the OD before the chip/intake/exhaust.

Pulls great no problems.  just gotta remeber braking takes longer.
cheers.