Blackhawk Farms

Started by the_weggie_man, January 25, 2003, 07:48:21 AM

the_weggie_man

I spoke to Mike Irwin of Blackhawk Farms the other day and he said they started working on my ideas for turn 5.  Although they didn't go as far as I had suggested, they have removed about 18 trees on the outside of the entrance to 5 and moved the guard rail/tire wall back to the creek area. That should help a lot

They are doing work all the way around 5 by clearing small trees and brush at the exit also to provide more run off area.

I hope to get down there this next week and check it out.  ;D ;D ;D

Nate R

Excellent! This makes me feel just a little safer at Blackhawk. I'm glad to see they DO listen to riders' input.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

oh344ccs

Good, I've only been there once so far, but that barrier was damn close, How much do you think the lap times will fall with the new pavement, and saftey measures?  

the_weggie_man

Oh yeah, and I am going to get measurements for turn 4 to possibly get Air Fence Bike put in there.  Maybe turn 5 also after I look at it. After I know how much is needed I will work on the financial side of it with the track, RRW Action Fund and Wegman Fund.

Lap times should drop due to the pavement but please don't let the safety changes lull you into a false sense of security.  You push the limits, you will crash and may get injured no matter what improvements have been made.  Remember it's only for a chunk of wood and maybe a couple bucks.

spyderchick

Gordy,
         You've been busy. This news rocks! Thanks for all of your hard work.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quotethey have removed about 18 trees on the outside of the entrance to 5 and moved the guard rail/tire wall back to the creek area. That should help a lot

Man...  One of those trees was a reference point for me.  Now I'll need a new RP.  I mean, just because it was dangerous...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

dave333

QuoteRemember it's only for a chunk of wood and maybe a couple bucks.

C'mon now!  I must have that chunk of wood!  I am willing to risk all to get that piece of wood and prove what a man I am...   ::)

EX#996

Gordy and to the Irwins:

Thank you!

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

the_weggie_man

aw shucks wadn't nuttin' .....

Dave333, forgot you have a thing for those $3 trophies, please continue your quest but hopefully at your expense...... ;D ;D ;D

the_weggie_man

Visited Blackhawk this afternoon.  They went further than they originally said in turn 5. ;D

Trees are cleared about 60 ft further back from the entrance to 5.  They laid in some culvert pipe and are filling over it by the creek. The entire guard rail that was so close to the track is about 15 ft further back from the track edge.

Extra benefit is that since those trees won't be shading the track all morning there will be better traction through 5 all day now.

I have some photos to develop and will have them at the banquet.  It looks pretty rough right now in the middle of construction but you'll get an idea of what they are doing.

I measured turn 4 and think we can cover it with about 60 ft. of Air Fence Bike.  Mike Irwin said the cost ($6,000) didn't sound too bad and they may pay for it.  If they don't cover all of it then it will get paid for on a coop basis with the track, Wegman Fund and RRW Action Fund.

Super Dave

EXCELLENT!

I was worried that the little creek was the problem.  It was, but they have it taken care of.

I'll be helping pay for the repaving...  I'm not sure if I want to know what the cost of renting the track is... :-X

Yes, I will have three indepentant days....
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteYes, I will have three indepentant days....

Three independant days.....   ???

I thought you had all six - or shouldn't I even go there?

Dawn  :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton