ducati 800ss starting issues

Started by Court Jester, October 25, 2006, 12:13:17 PM

Court Jester

just picked up a wrecked 05 800ss.
ran great when i stopped to look at it. now it's not wanting to start. this is also my first ducati so i'm not real up to date on anything that might differ from the jap bikes.
but i turn the key and the fuel pump hums, lights come on, everything it should do. i hit the start button and all that happens is you hear the fuel kick on again but it wont even try to turn over.
am i missing something here. is there some kind of security switch i need to hit or something? i would assume it's nothing more than an electrical conection somewhere i'm overlooking. but any help would be pretty cool.
i was told that if the key is left in it too long then the security system will shut down the started and i'll need the red key with the chip in it to start it.
does anybody know about this crap??? how to bypass it. all i have is the one key it came with. and it ain't red.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

racerhall

i will tell u what your missin
a couple of kawasakis
and they both start
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

cbirk

Quote from: racerhall on October 25, 2006, 04:59:43 PM
i will tell u what your missin
a couple of kawasakis
and they both start

:lmao: :lmao:

Court Jester

shit dude. i was going to call you on those. my bad.
give me a few minutes here.
CCS# 469

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

racerhall

here's my cell number      847 890 9265   bikes are ready for delivery.
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

motobenco

sidestand switch, tip over sensor, clutch sensor. Last time I had this problem a new wiring harness fixed the problem. 
Rescue and restoration of 60's & 70's motorcycles, former pro-racer, motorsports enthusiast.

Court Jester

Quote from: racerhall on October 26, 2006, 09:44:45 AM
here's my cell number      847 890 9265   bikes are ready for delivery.

left you a voice mail. i'll be traveling to south carolina this weekend but next weekend i may be able to make it out to check them out
CCS# 469

251am

Sidestand switch. There are issues with these on the Ducs, even with s.stand in up position. Get the aftermarket s.switch replacement for about $35 from guys at corsesuperbikes.com , Saukville Wi Duc dealer.(I believe it is an evoluzione part) BTW, you WILL want to get the RED key from one of the original owners. VERY important...   

Court Jester

turned out to be the cylinoid. who'd've thunk it huh? runs like a top now though. thanks for the ideas to try though.
CCS# 469