MOTO-ST and TV coverage?

Started by APP_Racing, October 21, 2006, 01:43:40 PM

spyderchick

Well, probably not the worst I've ever seen. They have a lot of room for improvement. They need to explain the classes better; even though we knew the general idea, the non-racer viewer would have been lost. Then they kept showing the "color code" in the bottom of the screen, but since they didn't run a ticker or scroll like the LeMans series does for their endurance series, it didn't relate to anything on the track. Also, they need to run a leader board if they don't run a ticker or scroll, and since the time was compressed, we needed to know where in the race they were updating the standings from as the broadcast progressed.

I think it's really cool we've got another series being broadcast nationally. Hey, it can only get better from here. My favorite part was seeing Greg Avello and Paul James on the podium at the end of the broadcast, spraying champagne.

Too bad they didn't catch the flame up on the JamesGang Buell on video. I saw the footage the team took from the pits, and it was a lot scarier when you see the flames shoot up from the bike.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

PJ721

we were pitted a few stalls down from them (James Gang) and we were running a bunch of laps behind them so I was watching their pit stops .. man when that flame shot out I was like HOLY SHIT and started yelling to the MOTO-ST official standing in front of me - "turn around and look - FIRE!!!!!" Have to give props to the safety crew and all of the pit crew that were involved they got it put out right away. That could've been pretty bad. I think from that incident they are looking at re-fueling with the rider off the bike for next season.
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

PJ

Yeah, we're lucky nobody got hurt. Credit entirely due to Kelli Michels (wife of Buell racer Tom Michels). She's one cool customer. She never flinched on the fire bottle, ran up and got the job done. I think rider-off refueling is probably not a bad idea. However, our fire ignited after the fuel cap was replaced, bike was started, and rider was pulling away. We're going with a dry break system for the coming season.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Super_KC124

I allways thought your Buell was pretty hot! :cheers:

PJ

Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

weggieman

Like I said it was a great commercial for the series and I think that's what they were aiming for. That's what they kept talking about..... the actual race coverage was second fiddle to getting the word out about their new series.

We'll have to see what they come up with next season.

BlueRidgePerformance

It was a fair job, for the first event.  We had some good coverage, but no interviews. You know moto-st.com has a message board[ it's less active than the old CCS board] :lmao:
But that would be a good place to post your thoughts and suggestions.
Kawasaki 650R Endurance Team Owner
2009 Sponsors: Cheetah Race Bodies,,Pitbull,Trackside Racers Supply,Traxxion Dynamics,Vesrah,Woodcraft

weggieman

No suggestions......just waiting until next year.

benprobst

Quote from: PJ on December 18, 2006, 11:28:00 PM
Yeah, we're lucky nobody got hurt. Credit entirely due to Kelli Michels (wife of Buell racer Tom Michels). She's one cool customer. She never flinched on the fire bottle, ran up and got the job done. I think rider-off refueling is probably not a bad idea. However, our fire ignited after the fuel cap was replaced, bike was started, and rider was pulling away. We're going with a dry break system for the coming season.

wow, a buell catching on fire, who would have thought.   :lmao:

sry couldnt resist. glad to hear everyone is alright.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

PJ

Quote from: benprobst on December 19, 2006, 05:23:58 PM
wow, a buell catching on fire, who would have thought.

LOL. Yep, a lot of people lost money betting we wouldn't finish the race.

And Michael Barnes, if you're out there...

You owe me a case of beer!
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

cardzilla

Quote from: PJ721 on December 18, 2006, 09:57:36 PM
we were pitted a few stalls down from them (James Gang) and we were running a bunch of laps behind them so I was watching their pit stops .. man when that flame shot out I was like HOLY SHIT and started yelling to the MOTO-ST official standing in front of me - "turn around and look - FIRE!!!!!" Have to give props to the safety crew and all of the pit crew that were involved they got it put out right away. That could've been pretty bad. I think from that incident they are looking at re-fueling with the rider off the bike for next season.

The rider sparked up right at the beginning of our pit box... certainly one of the scariest things I've seen in my 14 years in and around racing.  I'm not sure which rider was on, but he didn't seem to realize he was engulfed in flames for a good five seconds... and then DIDN'T drop the bike and run (like I would have).  It was that cool head that prevented a BIG meltdown.  It looked like the gas overflow exited directly above the exhast tip exit.  Props to them for finishing after that and serious transmission issues.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

PJ

Quote from: cardzilla on December 19, 2006, 09:33:32 PMThe rider sparked up right at the beginning of our pit box... certainly one of the scariest things I've seen in my 14 years in and around racing.  I'm not sure which rider was on, but he didn't seem to realize he was engulfed in flames for a good five seconds... and then DIDN'T drop the bike and run (like I would have).  It was that cool head that prevented a BIG meltdown.  It looked like the gas overflow exited directly above the exhast tip exit.  Props to them for finishing after that and serious transmission issues.

Thanks Larry. Self-induced drama due to the overfill, but the team responded well. The rider on board was John Fox (I had just handed to bike off to him). We have the whole thing on video and it's pretty wild. Just like you said, he didn't realize he was on fire right away, since he was looking over his shoulder for traffic and didn't see the flames. Then he felt the heat, looked down at the bike engulfed in flames and grabbed the brakes. By the time he stopped, we were at his side and Kelli was spraying the bike with the fire extinguisher.

Where John really impressed me was when we he rejoined the race (both him and the bike covered in extinguisher residue), tested the brakes and tires in two corners, and resumed his normal lap times.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70