0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I allways thought your Buell was pretty hot!
Yeah, we're lucky nobody got hurt. Credit entirely due to Kelli Michels (wife of Buell racer Tom Michels). She's one cool customer. She never flinched on the fire bottle, ran up and got the job done. I think rider-off refueling is probably not a bad idea. However, our fire ignited after the fuel cap was replaced, bike was started, and rider was pulling away. We're going with a dry break system for the coming season.
wow, a buell catching on fire, who would have thought.
we were pitted a few stalls down from them (James Gang) and we were running a bunch of laps behind them so I was watching their pit stops .. man when that flame shot out I was like HOLY scat and started yelling to the MOTO-ST official standing in front of me - "turn around and look - FIRE!!!!!" Have to give props to the safety crew and all of the pit crew that were involved they got it put out right away. That could've been pretty bad. I think from that incident they are looking at re-fueling with the rider off the bike for next season.
The rider sparked up right at the beginning of our pit box... certainly one of the scariest things I've seen in my 14 years in and around racing. I'm not sure which rider was on, but he didn't seem to realize he was engulfed in flames for a good five seconds... and then DIDN'T drop the bike and run (like I would have). It was that cool head that prevented a BIG meltdown. It looked like the gas overflow exited directly above the exhast tip exit. Props to them for finishing after that and serious transmission issues.
Page created in 0.41 seconds with 133 queries.