News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona update

Started by spyderchick, October 20, 2006, 06:56:58 PM

spyderchick

Just got off the phone with Rhiannon, and she said Ed Key is spending the night in a hospital bed courtesy of an incident in the GT lights race. He's going to be ok, they're keeping him for observation.

If anyone has more info, post it up.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

spyderchick

Well Rhiannon called back w/ an update and Ed will be fine. They were concerned about a head injury because his helmet was cracked! Also, he had a bit of abrasion going on, but fortunately no broken bones. If he gets back to the track in time tomorrow and feels up to it, he'll hopefully be able to run qualifying.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

EX#996

Thanks for the updates.  Just keep us informed.

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX_#76

Ed is OK, He has some blood on his brain, and a few abrasions.  The Doc is not too worried about it but they are keeping him overnight for observation.  He is alert and making jokes.  I think his pajamas are finally dead!!
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

EX_#76

Quote from: AM_#76 on October 20, 2006, 10:21:07 PM
Ed is OK, He has some blood on his brain, and a few abrasions.  The Doc is not too worried about it but they are keeping him overnight for observation.  He is alert and making jokes.  I think his pajamas are finally dead!!  I don't think he will be racing though, he is haveing a hard time picking his head up.... But we will see tomorrow.  We will be braking him out of the ICU tomarrow 8:00am SHARP
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

grich575

I don't want to start another "Daytona Update" thread so first of all I hope Ed is doing fine. Are any of the other results from Friday floating around out there? If so please post them. If I am creating a Hi-Jack just say so and I wil start Daytona Update #2. Thanks!!
G. Richards
FL EX #613
'06 GSX-R600
www.vcsracing.com

stk0308

First info I ran across in surfing:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27405

Gridding by entry now qualifying? :wtf:
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

spyderchick

You're reading about the Moto-ST race which is an inagural event, so no points to grid by.

ASRA events will gridded be by qualifying, and the CCS event will be gridded by regional points.

Thanks for the updates Guy, keep 'em coming.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Super Dave

Hope Ed's doing ok...

Yeah, I saw that MOTO-ST was gridding by entry...some teams have two entries because you can't ride your spare bike unless it's entered.  Don't know if all those teams are going to run both bikes or what. 

Super Dave

racefan

Curt has finished 1st, 3rd and 4th in three of his races.  Oil cooler developed a crack and lost oil in 4th race and he did not finish that race.  Marshall has finished 1st, 4th and 5th in his races.  They both have 2 or 3 races on Sunday.  I know Chris has raced well, also winning 1st or 2nd in the endurance race.  I know he has finished well in other races, but not really sure of the places.  Our Midwest guys are kickin' some butt!! :cheers:  :thumb:

251am

Congrats to N8, Parriot, and Mertens!!! 

:cheers:

Super Dave

Super Dave

weggieman

Tough break for ED.........the string of championships comes to a close for Orgazmitron.

Glad to hear Ed is going to be OK but, could this be the beginning of the retirement he hinted of last year? The back problems and now a head injury..........I don't know, maybe it's time?

VryBusy

Way to go Nate, Parriot, and Mertens!!!!! Excellent!!

spyderchick

Quote from: weggieman on October 22, 2006, 01:59:28 PM
Tough break for ED.........the string of championships comes to a close for Orgazmitron.

Glad to hear Ed is going to be OK but, could this be the beginning of the retirement he hinted of last year? The back problems and now a head injury..........I don't know, maybe it's time?

You just want company in your "retirement". :wink: I'd hate for this to be the end for Ed, but when it's time, I'm sure he'll know.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

GSXR RACER MIKE

I personally didn't witness Ed's crash, but I did see him come across the stripe from the 3rd floor of the control tower right before it happened and he was in a dog fight at that moment. The people I listened to that saw the incident happen (from different places) were all saying the same thing, that Ed was forced off the track by the person he was battling with. Again I didn't see it, but even witnesses that don't know Ed all seemed to be saying the same thing. Hopefully this wasn't the case, but it sure seems like that may be what happened based on what quite a few witnesses saw?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

kvanengen

Ed retire???? lets hope not. only he will know when it is the right time, but i hope its not now and not because of an injury.i speak for all the light weight riders when i say it wouldn't be the same with out him out there. best wishes to Ed and we look forward to you kicking our ass again next year!!!! :thumb:

weggieman

Beleve me it's not something I wish to see either. I've known Ed since 1981 and would love to see him continue in the sport he loves so much but....injuries and health problems can make racing a rough road to travel.

weggieman

anyone know who Ed was dicing with when the crash happened?

Stone

Quote from: weggieman on October 24, 2006, 07:46:05 AM
anyone know who Ed was dicing with when the crash happened?

Nate Kerns and he was trying to go up the inside of Nate...there was nowhere to go. Nate discribed the incident as horrific when interviewed.

N8Kern

I will have the video soon.  The whole thing is on tape.  I want tosay first off, when I felt the rub from the right side of the bike and from behind my elbow, peripherally (spelling?) I could see no one.  If you have raced Daytona you know that passing on the OUTSIDE of T2b heading towards the the West Horseshoe there will be no room for error.  I drive off 2B full throttle and use all te track to optimize drive and contact patch, I minimize lean angle there as you cant accelerate as well on the smaller part of the tire. 
THE LAST PERSON I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED to try and tke about 8 inches of asphalt left on the outside of me would be Ed key.  I looked over my shoulder as I felt the bump/rub whatever any one wants to call what they saw, I was the one with no one on the side of me and in the lead. I could not have pushed anyone and NOR WOULD I.  If anyone feels that I have done somethign wrong and that I need to be spoken to about it I am here.  Im not going to fly off the handle as I am not guilty of anything.  If you cmmit yourslf to passing on the outside of 2b you make sure there is anough room for YOU and or you wait to outbrake them into T3.

I watched in disbeleif and even yelled in my helemt as Ed was still acceleratng through the grass next to me as I was sowing for T3 and keeping him in my sight as he came across my bow and crashed, hard.  Not a single fucking lap went by from there that i wasnot in disbeleif, of all riders i would nevre expect it to e him making that decision. Period. 

His resume and length of experience may dilute my version what happened in others minds, but Ed and I know exactly.  I stopped by his pits daily until his return, his crew member and I spoke briefly and he even said to stop by and he understands it was a racing incident and did not even get beligerent with me.  I did, I stopped by and saw Ed.  He was rude as shit to me and was now the 2nd time I am shocked that he would act the way he has!!! 

Regardless, I am  going to remember him for who he was prior to this weekend. An amazing rider and a cordial person.

Nate Kern

eeky

I very much look forward to the video. Please post it ASAP.

I was leading that race across the start finish line. I was leading that race into turn 1. I was leading that race coming out of turn 1. I was leading that race going into the right hand portion of the turn 2 chicane. I was leading that race when I commited to my line into the left hand portion of the turn 2 chicane. At the last possible instant Mr. Kern dive bombed me on inside of the turn. At no time before Mr. Kern stuffed inside of me did he enter into my peripheral vision. While we very well may have different lines in that section of the track it is always the responsibility of the overtaking rider to insure a safe pass.

Mr. Kern you were in fact the overtaking rider. I state again without any reservation that at no time from my exit of turn 1 until the apex of the exit of turn 2 did you ever show up in my peripheral vision. Not once, not ever, not one little bit.

If you had gotten far enough up on me to show up in my peripheral vision I of course would backed off. 2 wide in that turn would be insane. Attempting 2 wide in that turn would show a complete disregard for your competitor's safety. If you had in fact gotten far enough up the inside to show up in my peripheral vision I would have immediately backed of and given you the turn. I am not stupid. There is a very good reason that I have survived in this sport as long as I have. I do not ever try low percentage passes. I very rarely put myself in a vulnerable position on the track, and never while racing with someone of your reputation.

It was after all the start of the second lap of a GT race. I would have given you that turn on the last lap, or any lap had you in fact gotten far enough up. But the simple fact is you did not. You chose to try to force a pass where none should ever have been attempted.

Some people have stated that I was attempting an outside pass. It may very well have appeared that way if the individuals only saw the exit of the turn, not the entrance. Once you ran me off the track you immediately started slowing. I was attempting the same thing but slowing on grass vs. you slowing on pavement made it appear that I was attempting an out side pass and accelerating.  I was not.

The majority of the people we talked with all saw the same thing. That would be Mr. Kern stuffing up the inside and running me off the track.

Of all the people I race with Mr. Kern is the most likely to attempt an unsafe pass. It's not the first time he has run people off the track. I my brief investigation I found one of his ASRA TB competitors who has been run off the track twice by Mr. Kern. In my brief investigation of Mr. Kern I was not able to find one single peer who had anything positive to say about him. In my brief investigation of Mr. Kern 99% of his peers were willing to go on record as stating that Mr. Kern is a problem rider and has been for some time. The one ASRA peer who would not go on record actually had the most interesting things to say about him. As I do respect this particular individual I will not repeat his comments as he has asked me not to do so.

Yes Mr. Kern I do have a long resume, length of experience and reputation. So do you.

I much prefer mine to yours.

Yes Nate, I was rude to you, I chose not to converse with you. Rude as shit, hardly. Rude as shit would have been telling you with a very loud voice just exactly what I think of you and your riding tactics. You put me into the ICU and you really have the balls to complain I was rude to you. Remember Nate, this was by far not the first time you have tried to harm me on a racetrack. By my count this was about the 6th time.  I will post the complete narrative under a different thread and ask for other victims to post their experiences with you. It will help with the CCS investigation.

I have in fact filed a formal complaint against you with CCS. You of course knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this would happen.  I believe your past on track activities are going to finally catch up with you. I believe that's what is behind your preemptive spin and your "sincere" concern for my welfare.

You may very well have won plenty of races and championships. You may very well have a sweet sponsorship deal. You may very well even be getting paid to ride. By all measures you would seem to have it all. You have unquestioned talent and skill. What you are able to do with those BMW's is nothing short of amazing.

What you don't have now and you will never have is the respect of your peers. Certainly you will never have mine.

I truly feel sorry for you.

Ed Key

HandleThis66

I have your back, Ed...even if its fuzzy.  :thumb:
Get back on that horse and show us how it's done, again, in 2007.
Rhiannon

kvanengen

WE ALL HAVE YOUR BACK ED!
Hope your doing better! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

kylbie

PJ721

Quote from: eeky on October 24, 2006, 12:03:44 PM
Of all the people I race with Mr. Kern is the most likely to attempt an unsafe pass. It's not the first time he has run people off the track. I my brief investigation I found one of his ASRA TB competitors who has been run off the track twice by Mr. Kern. In my brief investigation of Mr. Kern I was not able to find one single peer who had anything positive to say about him. In my brief investigation of Mr. Kern 99% of his peers were willing to go on record as stating that Mr. Kern is a problem rider and has been for some time. The one ASRA peer who would not go on record actually had the most interesting things to say about him. As I do respect this particular individual I will not repeat his comments as he has asked me not to do so.

I've watched and have been in several CCS races over the last 2 years with Nate...and I for one have never had any problems with him - or have seen him, or heard of him running people off of the track. Maybe Ed is right - maybe Nate is right....there is and always will be 2 sides to every story. But to say that Nate is an unsafe rider is just wrong. And to say that 99% of Nate's peers think he is a problem rider is down right absurd.

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

catman

:thumb:Paul-i have only heard peoples' respect and adoration for Nate-What a bummer for these 2 brilliant riders- John in Victory Gardens

eeky

Quote from: PJ721 on October 24, 2006, 02:59:02 PM
But to say that Nate is an unsafe rider is just wrong. And to say that 99% of Nate's peers think he is a problem rider is down right absurd.

Paul, until I started asking questions myself I would have agreed with your above statement. I had assumed that Mr. Kern had a problem with just me, not most of the top ASRA TB competitors. By peers I mean the individuals that are able to run at Nate's pace or close to Nate's ASRA TB pace.  Personel conversations with those riders yielded a very interesting result.

As you can imagine there are not a lot of individuals that fit my peer definition. I spoke with five ASRA TB riders. All but one was willing to participate in the CCS investigation and go on record.   As I did not ask them if thery are willing to go public I will not name names here. If they chose to go public I urge them to post on the thread I will be starting soon about Mr. Kern. If the one individual was willing to go on record it would be 100% of the top ASRA TB competitors that think Mr. Kern is a problem.

Believe me Paul, I do not want to take these actions and I do not take them lightly. This is the first time in my 36 years of motorsport that I been placed in this situation but I feel I have to go public to protect myself and my fellow competitors.

I have no doubt that Mr. Kern has been a safe CCS competitor most of the time. When it comes the ASRA TB he has not been. When it comes to myself in CCS races he has not been.

My crew and I have had many conversations about Mr. Kern. We all considered him to be most likely to take me out and we have talked about stratigies to deal with it. Mainly I was going to pace him and wait as long as possible to try and pass. I much prefer to be behind Mr. Kern not in front of him.

Unfortunately he never gave me the chance to impliment that particular strategy.

Paul if you woud like send me a PM and we can arrange a phone conversation as I would very mcuh like to talk with as many people as possible about Mr. Kern.

Ed Key

PJ721

Ed,

I can't say what happened on the track with you and Nate. I don't know what happened at any ASRA TB race, or what happened between you and Nate at Daytona. But to me it seems like a racing incident....maybe I'm wrong - but to start a public trashing of someone with out any proof is
not the correct way to go about it....you've made your protest and have an investigation being done by CCS - let them handle it. Again I've never heard or seen any problems regarding Nate being a dangerous rider in any CCS/ASRA events.
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

ssduc750

I believe if this video get's posted, it may help clear things up. But I also believe people will see what they want to see.

nkern12

As someone close to Nate, I find these threads very disturbing and inappropriate.  I have been attending races with Nate at CCS events for many years now, and have never come across any incidents that are being described here.  I guess my main issue is that someone can go on and stage an attack on another CCS member, it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the club.  These comments become permanent record in the Internet world, and for Nate this is very disheartening, especially when there are no facts to back it up.  Nate has many followers in his race endeavors, and I have to say I hear nothing but great things about him on a daily basis.  Obviously Nate takes racing very seriously, but he would never intentionally inflict harm to someone on the track as suggested.  I feel very strongly that this thread needs to be removed, and if Ed chooses to move forward with whatever investigation, petition, etc, of Nate, he is free to do so according to the appropriate channels, but in a discreet and respectful manner.  This is not something to be put out there on a seemingly-friendly message board, as if airing dirty laundry.    Just my $.02.

Oh, and maybe it would be nice to follow the rules of this message board:

"You agree, through your use of CCSForum.com, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. This is not only humorous, but legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to CCSForum.com. "

kvanengen

Pj721, I can see that you are a friend of nates and it is real nice for you to stand up for your friends, but we are not in 3rd grade anymore.... It is common knowledge that nate rides like a loose cannon out there. Nothing new, but it is what it is. I was not there so I am not going to get into a he said she said battle with you. Ask yourself this, how often do you here of Ed talking trash or getting into a conversation that he is not educated in. it doesn't happen. Like me, lets stay out of this and let them handle it. cool!

PJ721

Quote from: kvanengen on October 24, 2006, 02:28:06 PM
WE ALL HAVE YOUR BACK ED!
Hope your doing better! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

guess this means your Ed's friend...which is good...we all have friends in the racing family...that's the best part of it. And I too hope he's doing ok.
I've never met Ed...and haven't seen him race or read any posts on the board talking trash..wouldn't know him if he knocked on my door. All I do know is Ed is well respected and a great racer...but to bring a matter to the board without facts/proof of the incident is just not right.
like I've posted...I've seen Nate race...raced with him...never though he was a loose cannon, unsafe rider or out to get anyone.
We all have opinions about everyting...I for one think highly of Nate and consider him a friend and if I ever saw/heard him doing somthing on the track that I thought was wrong - I'd be one of the 1st people in line to let him know. This is a CCS/ Ed/Nate matter...which is where is should stay.
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

kvanengen

I like where your heads at. That's cool that you didn't come back with a post trying to tear mine apart. I respect that. That's right this is a Ed/Nate matter... I agree we should keep it that way. Have a great night!

PJ721

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

LMH#427

I was very disappointed reading the remarks made against Nate Kern.  I've attended a few races and have been pitted next to Nate.  I have never witnessed any inappropriate behavior, comments and/or actions, on or off the track.  In fact, I've only observed him being, kind, considerate and willing to lend a hand.  It is my feelling that he always holds the safety and wellbeing of all riders in high regard and would never intentionally try to harm another rider.  I concur with the remarks made by Jamie3; if a formal complaint has been filed with CCS there is no reason for these defamatory postings.  Let the individuals in charge; do there own investigation in to the alledged incidents.  I feel this matter was handle badly and that the only individuals who should have been privy to this information were Ed, Nate and the CCS representatives.

K3 Chris Onwiler

If it were a rider's goal to win a string of CCS Lightweight Expert National Championships at the ROC, history would show that the first and most difficult problem to solve would be figuring out how to beat Ed Key.
Of course, eliminating him would be very effictive too.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

GSXR RACER MIKE

I agree that video would sure help to mabey clear things up.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96