Sorry for yet another nubie question

Started by grim_racer, January 23, 2003, 05:14:38 PM

grim_racer

I plan on racing for the first time this season.  I don't want to get a perfectly good bike, just to destroy it. I found some salvage bikes that seem to be ok to turn into a track bike.  Should I worry about small dents on the frame?  Anything else i need to look for? HELP!!!

roadrashroeser

I wouldn't worry about the dents, but I recommend you get the frame measured by a qualified person who has a computrax or similar sysem. My opinion.This way you know if the bike is straight.
Mike Roeser

YTAK_Racing

There are so many people selling thier bikes cheap.  Why go through the head ache.  Buy a race ready bike..used.  Look in the classified..here and wera.

ecumike

Yea, Pete Moravek has his FZR400 for sale pretty cheap. IN the classifieds

FullMoonRacing

QuoteThere are so many people selling thier bikes cheap.  Why go through the head ache.  Buy a race ready bike..used.  Look in the classified..here and wera.

Agreed, this is the smartest way to start out! Buying a race-ready bike will save you lots of research and headaches.

Super Dave

A dent on the frame might mean that the frame was impacted, or that it is bent in that area.  

And newer bikes are just made lighter.  The wheels and forks and stuff just bend in a heart beat.  Watch out.  A good used race bike can be very valuable.

Where are you going to be racing?
Super Dave

grim_racer

I live about 40 miles south of St. Louis so my first few races will be at Gateway and BHF.  Thanks for the advice so far. I am pretty new to racing, having only watched a couple at Gateway. I had a GSXR 600 at one time but a couple crashes have kept me off the street for two years now. I read about CCS in a magazine I bought during a recovery period and it is all I can think about now. hopefully this will be good for me.

Super Dave

If my school can help you, we're here.  We work with new guys through experts.  If we can help...  
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

Dave's school is outstanding, and will qualify you for a race license.  Dave really works with you, and will be watching out for you in the future after you've been his student.  As a quick amateur, I found 5 seconds in one day at Visionsports.  If only I had hooked up with Dave three seasons sooner!  He could have really accelerated my learning curve, thus saving me tons of money and frustration.
This will be my first year as an expert, so I have inrolled for every school date Dave is offering this year.  Actually, I am just wasting my money.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  Ignore the first paragraph.  What was I thinking?
ATTENTION ALL EXPERTS!  DO NOT TAKE THE VISIONSPORTS SCHOOL!!  IT WILL NOT MAKE YOU FASTER!!  ESPECIALLY YOU, EDGAR!  I REPEAT:  ATTENTION ALL EXPERTS!  DO NOT TAKE THE VISIONSPORTS SCHOOL!! ;) ;D ;D ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Xian_13

Boy Dave, you sure have qite the following....
Maybe its time I take a vacation day for April 3 :)
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Super Dave

I don't look at it as a following...

But I struggled for a long, long time, got lots of bad information.  After a long time, I got things figured out.  I keep figuring things out.

I know the places people have been in.  I got out of them too.  What I do isn't because I'm fast or slow, but I can see things, I can explain them ten different ways, I can infer things for a rider that he doesn't understand.  There is no magic, but there does always seem to be a pattern.

As for my man K3 dropping time...I'm there to point you in the right direction.  It can be frustrating and disappointing.  But often times as street riders, we do things....well, weird.  Sometimes its a matter of breaking a habbit, etc.

I'm here to help.  I certainly am not getting anything more than a bigger debt for doing it.  But I love motorcycle road racing.  

Community...

(This is fun.  This is fun...)
Super Dave

KBOlsen

Dave, this IS fun... just remember to "breathe".

VisionSports was some of the best $ I spent last year... and will prolly be the best $ I'm spending this year.  Dave really goes ABOVE and BEYOND to help those who come to him.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?