Ducati 800ss

Started by Court Jester, October 16, 2006, 11:08:54 AM

Court Jester

Hey all. I got my license 2 years ago. Had very little time to race so I only ran three races. Last year I still had very little time but wrecked and boogered up my shoulder at mid. America in the spring which put me out of everything else I had time for. So with that said, I'm not 100% up on the rules and stuff. 
This year, I have a new job, more $$$ to throw at the season and 10 times more availability on the weekends, and I'm closer to a lot of the main tracks.
So, I have the R1 which I'll be running, and then I'm picking up an 05 Ducati 800ss, and would like to pick up a little 250 or maybe a 600.
Question: What classes can I run the 800ss in??? and in the event that I flip the R1 through the infield, could I finish the unlimited races with the 800 or a 600???
Also, how will an 800ss (bike vs. bike not considering the rider) stand up to the other bikes that I will be running against in the class???
Thanks for your help.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

xseal

its the hot bike in Ultra LW superbike.  Although, that class may not be around long. With a built motor (you can get 85-90 relatively reliable hp for lots of  $$), it will be ok in LW superbike and GP.

Court Jester

why would it be going away???
CCS# 469

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

George_Linhart

There are just not many racers signing up for the Ultra LW class.  In the MW I think there were 2 experts and maybe 2 -3 amatuers riding Ultra LW.  Most of these riders ended riding up the LW classes for more track time anyway there has been speculation that CCS would just get rid of the class entirely.

A lot of guys run 600's in the Unlimited class and the good riders do quite well even against the bigger bikes.  I wouldn't even think about taking a Ducati 800ss out on the track with the Unlimited bikes- way too much of a speed differential to be safe on anything except the tightest and shortest of tracks.

I ran my old CBR600F2 in a couple of Amatuer GTO races this year at one of the tighter tracks (BHF).  I ended up mid-pack (not bad for a 14 year old bike that is down by 50 bhp and overweight by about 40 lbs) however, it was a lot of work.  I'd pass guys on the brakes and going through the corners, carry as much corner speed and possible and get on the gas early but no matter what I'd have 3-5 bikes blow past me like I wasn't moving by the middle of the front straight.

In my opinion, rather than spending a lot of money to set up and race 4 bikes you would be better off getting one bike very well set up with lots of spares and taking a couple of riding schools (Spencer, Schwantz, American Supercamp and even our very own Super Dave come to mind).  Maybe its just me but I've got as much as I can handle getting one bike set up for a race weekend and figuring out how to adapt my riding to the track and conditions on the one bike.  I can't even imagin keeping the set-up and riding style straight between the 4 types of bike you mentioned.  Riding style is so different between a 250 GP, a 4 stroke V-twin, a 600cc inline and a liter bike...  Just think abou the logistics as well.  You need a bigger trailer.  Time doing oil changes and maintenance is going to be huge.  Parts won't be compatible on any of them so even the basic spares for each will be a combined fortune.  How much time do you have to unload and tech 4 bikes and still make practice?

You really are new this.  My recomendation would be to sell the R1, ride the 800SS in the Ultra LW class and ride up in the LW Class, Thunderbike and Supertwins.  That would be 1 GT race and 6 sprint races every weekend - you will learn more and crash less than if you go the 4 bike route.  If that's not enough racing for you then just get a 600 and ride up to the HW and Unlimited classes.  I think you would have 2 GT races and 9 sprint races against some of the strongest competition in the field (its called the meat-grinder class for a reason).  I don't know many people that feel this is not a "sufficiently" busy schedule on a race weekend.

Good luck!

George Linhart
CCS #773

Court Jester

The 800ss is something I would like to race on a regular basis. I had no clue I could run that many races on it. I'm shocked. But I do love my R1 with all my heart and soul. I've got the suspension all done up and doing a good bit of engine work to it now. For an 03, it should keep up with any 07 that may be out there. Well, until they hop theirs up anyway. But I like the unlimited races and for as few races as I've ran, I've held my own. I can't lose the R1. So those two I would love to run.
The 600 would be for the little tracks. Gateway, BHF. Stuff like that. In which case the R1 wouldn't be ran that weekend.
The 250, I don't have one yet and may not find one I like. If/when I do, it'll be for track days and to learn how to carry corner speed. If I see that I get good, then I may make up my mind to drop one of the other classes for that one. But no dead set plan to.
I have a 22 foot trailer set to carry 6 bikes though. So I'm in good shape there.
I really don't see me running more than 2 bikes on any given weekend. Mostly the R1, and the 800ss.
And my life revolves around bikes. I'm always 100% ready right off the trailer with what I have at track days. I've taken care of 5 bikes on a track day weekend. So I could tech what was needed. It would just be so busy that it would lose a lot of fun. So the plan is just the 2 bikes. If I find that I do better on one of the others, then I'll drop one for the other. But just the unlimited races have me ran down by the end of the day. But I've been cycling 10 miles every other day (until it gets to cold up here in Wisconsin) Trying to run 4 would kill me though.
And as soon as the dates come out for next years track days at BHF I'm going to be taking Super Dave's class.   
The main questions are just what I could get into with the 800ss. The others are just extras.
CCS# 469

surber905

I raced a 2005 800SS this past season, The bike was great.  I ran only 6 weekends, but I finished well in all the races.  The down side obviously is parts availability from aftermarket people.  The forks are non-adjustable, not even preload.  The forks and rear shock are sprung for a 135 pound rider, and none of the suspension people could do anything for it.  I raced in the ULW Superbike, GT Lights, LW Supersport, and LW Superbike.  Completely stock motor, with slip ons, airfilter, and power commander.

Court Jester

nothing at all can be done to the forks??? damn it... that sucks. i'm right at 200lbs in full gear. this should be fun.
i did find a guy on another forum that's stripping a 900ss so i'll have a lot of extra parts.
thanks for the info. every little bit helps
CCS# 469

Brad

Quote from: Court Jester on October 17, 2006, 01:10:34 PM
nothing at all can be done to the forks??? damn it... that sucks.

Not true...Traxxion can take care of your forks in a few different ways. None of which will be "cheap" but c'mon..You're roadracing motorcycles!! They can make them adjustable as well, although you'll likely never need to...AK20's are incredible.

Court Jester

CCS# 469