CBR600F2s are legal in LW 40 but none of the other LW classes. Why??

Started by limelight, September 30, 2006, 11:05:29 PM

limelight

Maybe I am asking the wrong question.

What is the difference in class standards between the LW classes and LW40 other than age restrictions and advancement points?  The rule book as well as the last post indicate that F2s should not be allowed in the LW classes but are OK in LW40.   Do olders riders not ride F2s as well as younger riders so any advantage the F2s would have is LW classes would be eliminated by older riders in LW40? I know I am be silly here, but really what is the difference in LW 40 and the other LW classes??
Richard Woten
Past President
Dell's Honda
GP  #12
CBR600F2

HAWK

If I have read the info posted in this thread correctly the issue is that LW F40 allows SuperBike prep rules while allowing the F2 into the LW classes would put it at an unfair advantage in the SuperSport classes. In prep level the LW F40 is different than the General LW classes.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Super Dave

Doesn't LW F40 allow Thunderbikes?  F2 is allowed in Thunderbike.  Thunderbike also allows 1990 GSXR750's, which make about as much power in Supersport trim as a current 600. 
Super Dave

roadracer162

LW F40 have essentially adopted Thunderbike rules.

Thunderbike is essentially Superbike rules for the older bikes. I have raced against Donny Wrights ZX7R of the early '90 that reportedly had 109 rwhp.

Thunderbike was Heavyweight Sportsman.

One of the differences between the LW classes and LW F40 that I can see in the rulebook is that there is a larger displacement limit for the LW F40 as compared to say LW SB. A twin in LW SB can be up to 700cc and in LW F40 that same twin can be 750cc if I remember correctly.

I still would like to see F2's in LW SB and GTL.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

My 1990 GSXR750 had 114RWHP on a Dynojet dyno in 1991 with a valve job, cam timing, and new rings after a ball hone only.
Super Dave

roadracer162

Wow, that is some good power from a bike such as that.

I guess in the end there has to be a cut-off and the F2 or FZR is in that cut-off. If you are on an F2 or FZR you will have to ride your ass off to be at the front.

Mark

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Super Dave

For Thunderbike, the non water cooled GSXR is legal...  114 wasn't great power in 1990/1991, but it was decent.  The GSXR didn't handle as well as the F2, but with some of the opportunities available today, yeah, it could be made to work.
Super Dave

roadracer162

That's also a two valve head correct? there is a fella in the Florida region that runs one occasionally. My FZR630 is a little down on power to it but I get him going into the corners. I can't imagine how it would be if he did motor-work.

I think that the F2 is probably a better platform to start with than my FZR  with cost always being a factor. I bought my FZR for $1500 and I have made minor improvements totaling about $3500. For me at the time it was what I could afford. My weekends usually cost around $500 for everything.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Super Dave

No, all GSXR's have been four valve heads.  But the old ones were not water cooled.

I've seen race prepared F2's in the $1000 to $1800 range.  Not sure how good they are, but it's a platform.
Super Dave

imafrogg420

good points by both of you. and i think that being able to play around with your bike and be creative and still legal is part of the fun of racing. this is racing thats whats its all about. as long as were all having fun.

~Jim #444
2007 R6!!!!!  BAMF Riders!!!

M2GUY

"Its just a fluke that the SV has remained top dog for as long as it has with little competition"

Hmmmm?

I didn't see to many on the top spot in the LW classes. Must have missed them.

:)

Happy friday!
I'M THIRSTY! :)

Super Dave

The lightweight market isn't so performance driven.

At one time, the RZ350 was king.  The EX500 came and gave some competition.  Then the FZR400 was brought to the US market, and it was generally the bike to have.

One thing to recognize is that Suzuki still offers contingency money for SV's.  It's a good bike for pretty much every club racer.
Super Dave