News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

The Official Gingerman Trash Talk Thread

Started by grasshopper, September 29, 2006, 02:47:31 PM

grasshopper

You need to buy yourself a dirtbike, and get a set of studded Ice tires. Riding all year round kicks ass. :thumb:

Plarposaurus Wrecks

It was cool to meet a lot of you guys at Gingerman, I've always wanted to race there but never had the chance since WERA doesn't do that bit.

Great race track, nice n' safe too. I'm sure I'll catch the lot of you around the paddock next year. :)

HAWK

Quote from: grasshopper on October 09, 2006, 11:43:01 AM
You need to buy yourself a dirtbike, and get a set of studded Ice tires. Riding all year round kicks ass. :thumb:

Hey, I know it's going to 6 long months of withdrawl but my budget just can't take another form of racing now. I need this six months to get the bank account ready for next year, shakes or not.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

SV88

Yep that was an expensive weekend but probably the best of my racing debut.  Thinking about next year and wondering if I'll still be married.  Spending $11k on two bikes and almost 3K on 4 race weekends is stressful to any marriage.  Going to have to referee a lot of hockey this winter to catch up!!
Thanks to all that helped me start racing:  Hawk, Guy, Ed, Nick, Jim, Jeff, George - you guys rock - and you're not afraid to tell me what to concentrate on to go faster.  Ironically, most of you will be experts next year...

yes it was a pretty safe weekend.  It was probably more dangerous being in the pits being confronted by disgruntled competitors ;)

Will probably only do 8 races weekends next year, the odd track day assuming I sell the 04 R6 (a bad impulse buy - assuming I'd be competitive in MW middle of next season) between now and the first race next year.  The SV will be refreshed, remaining SS legal but with DOT, Slicks tires, and a steering damper.  Will run LWSS, LWSB, Supertwins and Thunderbike (possibly F40LW).

Steve.

Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

grasshopper

Slicks are not allowed in SS. Slicks are over rated. I ran all my races (in the dry) at Blackhawk and Gingerman on a regular pilot power street tire on the back and a PR1 front.

SV88

No, I know that slick aren't allowed in SS which is why I was planning on 3 sets of wheels/tires.  I did notice while we were lining up that you were running DOT's.  That's probably a good cost saving idea - at the slow speeds I'm currently running, I probably would not benefit from slick anyway..  Are these 4 classes appropriate for a newbie or should I run something different?
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

EX_#76

Quote from: SVR6#231 on October 09, 2006, 04:26:51 PM
No, I know that slick aren't allowed in SS which is why I was planning on 3 sets of wheels/tires.  I did notice while we were lining up that you were running DOT's.  That's probably a good cost saving idea - at the slow speeds I'm currently running, I probably would not benefit from slick anyway..  Are these 4 classes appropriate for a newbie or should I run something different?

There is no grip difference between the Pirelli slicks and DOTs.  The slicks last longer because they do not tear near the cipes. 
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

George_Linhart

Nick - you da man.

Guy - crappy sounding weekend - glad you seem to be in OK spirits.

After I lowsided in turn 10 while trying to run down Julian and Kevin in the GT Lights I thought that was as bad as my weekend could get.  I was wrong.  I believe that my crank ate itself at the end of lap 1 of LW GP.  I was running in 4th place coming out of turn 10 and figuring out how in the heck I was going to catch back up with Nick when all of a sudden the Ducati went bang, crunch, clatter, grind...

I guess its a good thing it was at the last race weekend of this year vs. Road America weekend next year...

I would have stoped and said goodby to everyone but I wasn't in much of a social mood due to the financial implications of this boom.

Oh well, I'll see all of  you next year.

George Linhart

EX_#76

Quote from: George_Linhart on October 09, 2006, 05:09:17 PM
Nick - you da man.

Guy - crappy sounding weekend - glad you seem to be in OK spirits.

After I lowsided in turn 10 while trying to run down Julian and Kevin in the GT Lights I thought that was as bad as my weekend could get.  I was wrong.  I believe that my crank ate itself at the end of lap 1 of LW GP.  I was running in 4th place coming out of turn 10 and figuring out how in the heck I was going to catch back up with Nick when all of a sudden the Ducati went bang, crunch, clatter, grind...

I guess its a good thing it was at the last race weekend of this year vs. Road America weekend next year...

I would have stoped and said goodby to everyone but I wasn't in much of a social mood due to the financial implications of this boom.

Oh well, I'll see all of  you next year.

George Linhart

DUDE!!!! that sucks.  I was actually limping aroud to find you on sunday.  Trying to put a face with the name.  My quest failed, and now I know why.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

mx558

benprobst

Becuase you cant. The rule was made years and years ago when dot race tires were actually like street tires and far away from slicks. Now dot race tires leave almost identical footprints to slicks in all of the places that matter (i.e. full lean and on the meat for acceleration). Like Guy said the grip level is very similar, but I belive the slicks are superior despite generally not being the tire of choice, seeing that the majority of money races are ss. The thing that I have benifited most from running slicks is generally more available compounds and profiles, though it seems again the dot's are catching up.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Plarposaurus Wrecks

The slicks are nice n' all - but are not fun when you're hammering down a long straight when it starts pouring.