News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Team Hammer school at Daytona

Started by steeltoe, September 19, 2006, 10:45:58 AM

steeltoe

I hope this isn't a silly question but here goes.  I've done some trackdays at VIR and CMP so I'm not quite green.  I'm looking at the Team Hammer school strictly as a chance to ride Daytona and pick up some instruction.  My question is actually multi-part.  I checked out their website but the tech part was pretty minimal.

1. I'd of course run distilled water and dump the mirrors, tape the lights.  Is that enough or do I need to be wired?
2. Can the standard Pilot Powers handle the banking speeds or do I need race rubber and warmers?
3. Will I crap my pants in fear of the wall or does it pretty much disappear while you're out there?

scottg22

#1   You will be fine with the water done and everything removed or taped.  

#2  Your tires, as long as they are in good condition will be fine as well.  While you at it, make sure the bike is track worthy (chain, sprockets, fork seals etc..) As long as the bike is in good condition, the tech is fairly basic.

#3  If you have done trackdays before, the wall should not be an issue.  The groups start off with lead around sessions to get you comfortable, then they increase speed each session, but you are encouraged to go at your own pace.... and have sweep riders to pick up those who drop back and do not want to stay with their group (speed wise).  It is very controlled and you will be fine.

steeltoe

Sounds good thanks!  I'll be there spectating for the race weekend again as well.  Good luck to you if you're out there.

coolice

Do it. I did the school last March, was an great experience I'll never forget. You'll have a new appreciation for the racers skills as they ride the course faster, and smoother.
"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys"
CCS#958
Crew chief Jamesgang /Hoban Bros.Racing #70 Buell   
2008 Team Challenge GT Lights Champion
2007 & 2008 MotoST GST 3rd overall

steeltoe

Well I sent all my stuff on the 26th and I'm waiting to hear back from Hammer.  Think I'll give them a call tomorrow to make sure they received everything.   

I know I'm just putting off the inevitable.  Race glass, generator, warmers, tent, umbrella girls, tires that cost more than my leathers...