News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT

Started by WALLY, April 02, 2002, 08:09:13 AM

WALLY

ANYONE CHANGE WHEEL BEARINGS AT THE HOUSE, LET ME KNOW AND WITH WHAT TOOLS.  FRONT WHEEL ON GSXR 600

Eric Kelcher

tools long punch about 12", deadblow hammer, large socet same diameter as bearing race.

Use punch and hammer and rotate around hitting bearing out by hitting on the race from opposite side of wheel (through axle hole) then after getting one removed remove the spacer then pound the other bearing out. to reinstall place socket over bearing and evenly and with soft blows begin working the bearing in with gradually harder blows. reinstall spacer then put other bearing in.

A lot of times working on a 5 gallon bucket makes this easier.

P.S. I always remove rotors before attempting
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

wally

h00ktern

Freezing the bearing/race for an hour or so, and warming the hub also helps. Make sure you start it square, and drive it home fully.
Y2K Aprilia RSV R mille

RdRcr150

Heat the hub with heat gun and then invert wheel and hit it on the 2x4 underneath it. To install put bearings in freezer, heat hub hot, push pregreased bearing into hub if you must use a hardwood dowel and TAP LIGHTLY into seat. Hitting a hardened steel race with a steel rod invites premature bearing failure. I have used this procedure with great sucess for maNNNNNNNNNNNy years.

Ripper

To install you can use a thick threaded rod with large washers(matched to bearing outer racer,slightly smaller,thick fender washer).Freeze the bearing for an hour then just place bearing in position and turn down on the nuts.the bearings goes in almost effortlessly and you are not pounding on any thing.