Michielin PR# series tires .. DOT legal ?

Started by endoracing, September 06, 2006, 01:45:39 PM

endoracing

I was trying to figure out the difference between the the power race mediums and the power race PR1/5 combo aside from price and was told that the PR#'s are not a street legal tire.

My question is, well I guess first is that true, and second of all are the PR#'s allowed in the supetsport class if they really arent DOT rated..

The obvious answer is no since the rule book states all tires must be DOT approved .. but I dont know?

thanks!

StuartV666

PR series tires ARE DOT approved and legal for Supersport.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Simple check. Theres a DOT mark on teh tire sidewall somewhere.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

TommyG

Super Dave

Quote from: endoracing on September 06, 2006, 01:45:39 PM
I was trying to figure out the difference between the the power race mediums and the power race PR1/5 combo aside from price and was told that the PR#'s are not a street legal tire.

And don't forget that the commercial PR tires (medium, etc.) are different from the PR1/2/C PR3/4/5. 
Super Dave

endoracing

QuoteSimple check. Theres a DOT mark on teh tire sidewall somewhere.

yeah but I dont have the tires to look at .. I'm debating which to buy. decidng between the PR-C/PR-5 or the power race mediums. I'd rather get the mediums since they are a bit cheaper and I'm not that fast so I dont need the more agressive compound, but I like the triangualr profile.. decisions decisions

Thanks for the info!

Super Dave

Get the C.  Get the 5.  There are reasons why that's what we race on.
Super Dave

StuartV666

Quote from: Super Dave on September 06, 2006, 09:48:50 PM
And don't forget that the commercial PR tires (medium, etc.) are different from the PR1/2/C PR3/4/5. 

Whoa! Really? Any idea what the differences are? I've been buying my tires directly from Walt and recommending the same to some of my buddies that do track days. But some of them have chosen to order the commercially available Power Race tires, and I have just assumed they were the same. Where they list Super Soft, Soft and Medium Soft for fronts, I assumed those were PR1, PR2, and PR3 tires. So, they're not?

Super Dave

Walt or Tom Mason can give you specific differences.  There's a fitment overlap, but I don't think any commercial tire is like the front PRC.
Super Dave