News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why no cotterpin on Honda axle nut?

Started by rcdyna, September 05, 2006, 04:09:58 PM

rcdyna

I'm not a mechanic so this question is for those that are.  Why is there no cotterpin on the axle nut of my 600RR or my F4i? Do you not want a pin on the nut that holds your wheel on.  Any problem with me just drilling a hole in my stock axle for a cotterpin?  I'm not a racer, just track days. 

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well most YZF's also dont use a cotter pin. Honda and Yamaha use a nylock nut (has a nylon insert which locks the nut).

Personally I'd use what teh factory designed it with. As long as you have the nut tight it shouldnt even budge when riding. If you are real paranoid, just safety wire it.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

loc_dogg

endoracing

eventually I will drill and wire mine ... but I dont have the patience at the moment to drill through a hardened steel axle and axle nut ... for now I just run some safety wire around the threads of the axle right after the nut. it wont stop the nut from loosening, but it will hopefully keep it from completly falling off.

I may not be the most in tune with my bike, but I'd like to think that if my rear wheel is moving around at all, I'd be able to tell.

EX_#76

Quote from: Jeff on September 05, 2006, 05:06:23 PM
torque it and you won't have a problem.

Jeff is absolutely correct.  The safety wire and or cotter pins only keep the nut from falling off.  That only happens when the axle was not torqued in the first place (or some bizarre failure).  If the axle nut is loose and the wheel begins to move around, you are in serious trouble anyway.  So the fact that your nut is kept from falling completely off is irrelevant.  Safety wire and clips are false security.  Clips and wire can be put on things that have not bee tightened.

The same applies to any fastener.  When was the last time you put saftery wire on you rod bolts? 
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Sig

Quote from: AM_#76 on September 28, 2006, 05:18:19 PM
The safety wire and or cotter pins only keep the nut from falling off. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. If you safety wire it correctly it will prevent the bolt from backing out unless the wire breaks.

K3 Chris Onwiler

I have to agree with Sig.  My GSXR has the cotter pin hole and castle nut on the rear axle.  That nut would have to loosen up at least one full 360 degree turn before the axle started flopping, and the clip I use for a cotter pin won't let the nut move more than 1/16 of a turn.
When properly done, safety wire can save your ass.  I've had bolts back off on my EX500 four weekends after I installed them.  The safety wire made the difference between an innocent ooze of oil and complete oil pan evacuation!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

It wasn't so long ago that Honda America had a few problems with their rear wheels.  Because they put their axles in from the LH side, the axle, secured only by the big lock nut, spun with the direction of the wheel dropping the nut off.  One loss was catestrophic.

The cotterpin WITH a castle nut prevents everything from turning.

I put my rear axles in from the RH side too so that the spinning of the wheel would tighten the axle if something bizzare happend.
Super Dave

Court Jester

Quote from: Super Dave on November 16, 2006, 04:24:21 AM

I put my rear axles in from the RH side too so that the spinning of the wheel would tighten the axle if something bizzare happend.

i never thought about that. good idea.
i just locktite everything i can get my hands on. but i'll keep the idea of putting the axle in from the RH side in mind from now on.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Jeff

I tend to put mine on from the right hand side just to hold the caliper up while aligning the wheel...  Anybody out there with a 600rr can attest to the wheel being an absolute BITCH to get on...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Jeff

And the axles on the 05 and newer 600rr won't spin as they now use axle blocks...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest