Question for Cooling Engineers

Started by Jeff, July 24, 2006, 09:34:17 AM

cardzilla

Jeff, I think you're looking for a better remedy instead of a cure.  I ran the same bike, with a 122HP motor that I did mostly myself and never ran over 210, even on a hundred degree day at RRR.  I'm sure you know there's a hundred different things that could be causing your dilemma, but if you've been over the cooling system well (and it seems you really have) then you might need to start looking elsewhere.

The combustion chamber is where I'd start, more directly, the fuel.  Are you running stoiciometric, lean, rich... what plugs?, what gas, etc.  It may end up the cooling system is doing it's job but you're overloading it.  You may even have a slight detonation problem that you're not hearing... have you milled anything?

I ran sans thermostat with a restrictor plate, I really recommend that for starters.  It seems that the flow rate given by a 1/3 reduction in the hole size moves the most water while still allowing it to pick up the heat.

If you've got a few hours you should pop off the head and snoop around... you can learn a lot from doing that.  While you're in there check for corrosion in the cooling system channels.  I'm sure you use distilled water, but maybe someone else didn't ??

Just thinking out loud.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Jeff

No water in the system now or ever.
Head is milled down
Fuel is VP U4
I haven't been completely through the cooling system, I'm sure that I can gain some cooling by cleaning the crap out of my radiator as I haven't done that in quite a while.

I actually have a new super-secret device on the way from Europe which was designed for the bike for this exact issue.  (okay, so it's not that secret, it's some fancy oil cooler which is bringing temps down 5-10 deg).

More to come, certainly...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cardzilla

Curious to see how it all goes... +1 on the cleaning thing.  When I rebuilt the R1 motor I decided to sit down and individually straighten each fin in the radiator and clean it... there was a half pound of debris in it!!!
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

JBraun

Off topic, but why is propelene glycol legal anyway? I realize that it would be easier to clean up after a spill, but it's still slippery as hell.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Jeff

it's legal because it can be cleaned up easily.  The bad piece to it is that it HAS to be cleaned up (unlike water)...

Water = no cleanup (generally)
PG = mandatory cleanup but easy to do
EG = difficult and mandatory cleanup
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

salvagerider

Im running two 05 600RR this year, and had issues with temp.   There are some things to do but I can't tell you all I can say is pay attention to the factory bikes.   

G-reg

I know the secret of life too, but I can't tell you.  All I can say is pay attention to midgets.   :wtf:
--Greg
MW EX#84

Jeff

Why Greg?  All they look up to are asses!
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

HAWK

Well Jeff,

Did your cooling systems fair any better Saturday at Gman? Seemed lik a pretty good test day.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Jeff

Yes... by a solid 10 degrees.  I cleaned the radiator (which wasn't really that dirty) and put on a new oil cooler.  Seemed to make a pretty big difference, and I'll tell you, I am MUCH harder on the bike at gingerman than I am at BHF.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest