SV Cranks

Started by EX_#76, July 21, 2006, 03:49:15 PM

grasshopper

Just used a little bit of some fine grit sand paper to get the little bit off. I'm on the smallest bearing available rite now. Suzuki only sells 3 sizes of babbet bearings for the crank.

If you did have to machine it down if the crank was scored badly it would be risky business. Shit! All this is risky business, but what sucks is I'm on the smallest bearings.

If you do go down past what the smallest bearing will fit on I'm wondering if there's a company out there that can make or fit that same kind of babbet in a smaller size.

I have replaced babbet bearings in 2 motors without opening up the bottom end, theres enough room (if you're careful) to remove the rods and replace the bearings with just the cyclinders off.

Another question I have. Usually one side spins, usually the front rod. I wonder if its Ok to use 2 different size babbets for front and rear.

L8brake731

Hey Matt!! Your'e the MAN :cheers:
Called Ron Ayers, they have the 02' cranks in stock and all the associated parts (bearings, shims etc.)

Thanks for the information, now I can sleep..... :sleeping2:
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

Addicted2Danger

Nick,
  I think the main hold up to something like that would be the fact that the big end of both rods ride on the same journal.  In many "Autozone Rebuilt" engines you will find similar stuff.  Maybe .010 undersize on 1 rod journal, another 1 standard, and then another maybe .020 undersize.  If it were mine- I'd turn it down to a uniform size.
Besides, how do you gaurantee that journal is round after you have worked it w/ sandpaper or emery cloth?  I've seen that done on $1000 dollar used cars, and they ran for a while after it was done.  All I know is the ride you could take from that rod seizing to the crank doesnt sound like it would make for a good race weekend.  I'll bet somebody makes undersize rod bearings, or could make them.  It may not be any cheaper than a new crank at some point, but they cant be that hard to make.

grasshopper

I must have gotten lucky on the race bike then. She's holding strong, almost 3 seasons on that bearing replacement. Knock on wood!!!!

I'll be hunting down guy like a hawk in Amatuer lightweight and spank his ass come Autobahn or Blackhawk!  :spank:

Protein Filled

The SV rod bearing journals are wide enough that an automobile crank repair facility is able to grind them down and re-harden them. I have had them do that before at a cost of about $40.00 per crank. It works as long as you are whithin the clearanced range of the tighter bearings.

Now that I have said this, I am not sure if that is the best solution for a race motor on a machine that is known to be hard on cranks...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

EX_#76

Quote from: grasshopper on August 09, 2006, 03:06:46 PM
I must have gotten lucky on the race bike then. She's holding strong, almost 3 seasons on that bearing replacement. Knock on wood!!!!

You did get very lucky on the crank resize with sand paper.  I can only assume that you were lucky enough to just transfer a little of the bearing material to the crank without damaging the crank journal.

If someone out there has access to, or knowlage of brearings that are .010 or .020 under to fit an SV rod, I sure would like to know some part numbers.  I would bet that you could easily run a moderate HP superbike .010 undersized crank.  There are tons of grindable SV crank cores out there.

Quote from: grasshopper on August 09, 2006, 03:06:46 PM
I'll be hunting down guy like a hawk in Amatuer lightweight and spank his ass come Autobahn or Blackhawk!  :spank:

I love it when you talk dirty to me....   Big Boy
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor