SV Cranks

Started by EX_#76, July 21, 2006, 03:49:15 PM

EX_#76

Does anyone know if you can install a second generation crankshaft in a first generation engine?
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

L8brake731

WHY? :wtf: Do you have a first generation crank you want to sell? Or how about a second generation one? Just curious ::)
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

dylanfan53

I'm getting you a definitive answer.  Stay tuned...
Don Cook
CCS #53

EX_#76

I a
Quote from: L8brake731 on July 21, 2006, 07:15:49 PM
WHY? :wtf: Do you have a first generation crank you want to sell? Or how about a second generation one? Just curious ::)
I'm trying to put a superbike together for next year.  I have a damaged first gen crank and need something for the new motor.

Guy
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76

L8brake731

Hey Guy-

From what I understand, the first generation crank is better. Better, meaning that there aren't as many issues as with the second generation cranks. I've heard of some builders who have used first gen. cranks in the FI motors but had to have some minor machine work done to facilitate using a shim for thrust clearance.

If you know anyone with an SV crank for sale email me.
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

EX_#76

Quote from: L8brake731 on July 25, 2006, 05:36:51 PM
Hey Guy-

From what I understand, the first generation crank is better. Better, meaning that there aren't as many issues as with the second generation cranks. I've heard of some builders who have used first gen. cranks in the FI motors but had to have some minor machine work done to facilitate using a shim for thrust clearance.

Ya that is what I have heard too.  I am not so sure that the 2nd gen crank is any worse in terms of strength.  I think the real differnece is that the shim kit is not used on the second gen cranks.  I think a loose end clearance coupled with the higher rev limit on the second gen models is the primary couse of crank failures in those models.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76

L8brake731

S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

grasshopper

Buy a billet Falicon crank.

Seriously before you put that all together make sure and send the pistons, rods and crank out and get it all balanced, you'll get a lot more life out of the motor.

grasshopper

A brand spankin new crank is 500 bucks. You can justify that with comparing to a set of tires. 200 bucks more than tires. Or you can justify that with a price of a new helmet, a new helmet can cost more than a crank. Skip a weekend of racing and buy a new crank if you need one.

Part Number:  12000-20840 
Description:  CRANKSHAFT SET 
Source:  SUZUKI 
Price:  $498.11 

EX_#76

Quote from: grasshopper on August 02, 2006, 05:02:27 PM
A brand spankin new crank is 500 bucks. You can justify that with comparing to a set of tires. 200 bucks more than tires. Or you can justify that with a price of a new helmet, a new helmet can cost more than a crank. Skip a weekend of racing and buy a new crank if you need one.

Part Number:  12000-20840 
Description:  CRANKSHAFT SET 
Source:  SUZUKI 
Price:  $498.11 

Thanks for the info.  Matt Mcnoll told me about some internet based company where you could buy cranks for a similar price.  I lost the paper that I wrote the sight's name on. 

Matt,  Can you post the name of that sight for all to see.

Guy

Guy Bartz
MW EX #76

L8brake731

FALICON  :ass:!!! Tried to order cranks (2) from them. Lot's of BLAH BLAH  :jerkoff: about the lead time involved. 6-8 weeks, OK, that will work. 6-8 weeks later; where's my cranks?
"Well, we don't do our own heat treating, the people who did the treating, warped both cranks" "we have to start over and machine new ones" :jerkoff: This is all said a week before week 8. This means 6-8 more weeks? :finger:

I don't think they are the only game in town, we'll see.
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

grasshopper

Quote from: L8brake731 on August 03, 2006, 03:37:50 PM
FALICON  :ass:!!! Tried to order cranks (2) from them. Lot's of BLAH BLAH  :jerkoff: about the lead time involved. 6-8 weeks, OK, that will work. 6-8 weeks later; where's my cranks?
"Well, we don't do our own heat treating, the people who did the treating, warped both cranks" "we have to start over and machine new ones" :jerkoff: This is all said a week before week 8. This means 6-8 more weeks? :finger:

I don't think they are the only game in town, we'll see.

No Kidding?!?!?!

We need a tool and die maker with some extra time on his hands to start making good strong SV cranks. The things are hard to come by.