Have you taken + 1 year off and then returned?

Started by Jeff, July 20, 2006, 08:41:44 PM

Jeff

I'm interested to hear from people who have taken several years off and returned.  How was the return?  Was it a dramatic reset? 

Do tell your stories!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

weggieman

how about 15 years off and returned? not bad at all............ i only did one weekend but got faster every time on the track. with more time out there it would only get better.

cheezer64

Left for 4 years..... having more fun now than I did in the past. Took some time to do some dirt riding and soul searching. Can't live without the competition.

Cheez

KBOlsen

This is encouraging, guys... keep it coming!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

mdr14

It appears I am on my first year off.... more by chance than design...

Does that mean I get to go amateur next year?
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

ahastings

raced in 1987-88 then took 5 years off, came back and raced from 93-95 then took 8 years off, came back in 2003 at the age of 41 and haven't stopped since. Finances is what usually makes me quit.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

tug296

I'm a Tug Boat Captain, so time is a precious commodity, stopped racing in 1986 to go back to work. Continued to work until 2000, then went back to racing.

I was racing a 1981 Honda CB 900F, it was outdated in 1982, but great reliability and did many 6 hr. endurance races and sprint races with no mechanicals until 1986, then broke cam chain on the white flag lap at Daytona after 5hrs and 55 min of racing, very disapointed and no $ to repair, just kinda faded away, back to the tug.

In 2000, got a deal on a new 99 Super Hawk, wanted the RC51, but low funds and could not afford.
I just wanted to do track days, but the bug bit hard and soon had the bike race ready.
Once again on a bike that would not be so competitive, so just for fun again.

In 2003, finished in top 10 in Super Twins points even after breaking collar bone and being out for some months.
Then was inspired and set a goal for 2004, make it to every race possible and go for points . Did make every race and ended up winning the Am. Super Twins Championship, and 3rd. in Formula 40 points.

It was easy to come back to racing, even after 14 years off, the butterflies felt the same as before.
Unfortunately my ribs were broken when hit from behind in turn 10 at Moroso in 2004, {I'll accept your aplology when ever you offer it} finished out that season and did the first 3 races of 05, they did not heal properly and now unable to tuck in without agony and can't breath.

So now docking and undocking Mega Yachts at Atlantic Dry Dock in Jacksonville Florida and loving it, as now semi retired and working kind of part time and hopefully will have time to go back to racing again soon. {MOTO ST?} as now the Super Hawk is legal for that big class?

Sorry to ramble, but you asked.

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

h2o_motorsports

I ended up having a year off after my bad crash where I broke my ankle.  The year off wasnt so much because of the ankle but more because the bike was prety much destroyed.  The only thing that was still good on the bike was the frame and the motor.  Everything else was junk.  It has taken me a long time to get back up to speed.  It doesnt help that 3 months after I got back on the track the race track here in Hawaii closed.  The only racing I have done since March was one race over memorial day weekend at Infineon with AFM.  I just shipped my bike back to Wisconsin and will be home at the beginning of August.  The bike wont be there till the beginning of September.  I will be at the last Blackhawk race.  I cant wait to get out there with you guys!!!

msbrit1

cardzilla

11 years off, back for one event in '04, divorced in '05, several miserable events in '06, back (hopefully) to form in '07.

I will say that I did notice a difference from the AMA/CCS to the current CCS.  I think it's on the right track now, but there was just a different air about it for the event I did in '04.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

laohu69

I took off 20 years. I raced in the early '80's and started again in 2003. It was like apples and oranges though with the great difference in technology, tires, etc. I did do a little dirt racing (MX, harescrambles, flattrack) and drag racing during my exodus though. I found out in 1980 that I was not going to be the next Kenny Roberts though and then all the pressure was off and all I had to do was have fun.  :ahhh:

EX_#76

Quote from: mdr14 on July 20, 2006, 11:11:49 PM
It appears I am on my first year off.... more by chance than design...

Does that mean I get to go amateur next year?

I belive the magic number is two years off.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor