News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Utility cart and pit bike attachment advice....

Started by ccsracer26, July 18, 2006, 03:29:30 PM

ccsracer26

I recently decided on a pit bike and now am looking into carts.  After thinking about what my needs and wants are, I decided to go with a Yamaha TTR-125 electric start playbike.  The Yamaha Zuma was probably more practical if just used as a pit bike, but I also wanted to have some trail fun.  I would like to get a folding cart for wheels/tires/etc. and also will need a special bracket to put on the rear fendor to pull it with.   Does anyone have info best brands, best prices, who makes them, etc.?  I have seen several brands of folding carts and they all look the same, but I havent found any of the attachment hardware that I will need. Any help would be appreciated.
Ryan
Ryan Gibson

Team_Serpent

http://www.sportack.com/cms/index.cfm?ParentItemIDList=94789%2C96913%2C96339%2C96940&ItemID=96488

here's a purchasing source I just found when searching the web for "fold-it carts" which is the type I have.

I don't think there is a universal type "pit bike hitch" that someone sells, I made ours out of aluminum tube, plate and angle.

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Another thing you could do is pick up a cheap bicycle trailer (the ones that you drag kids along behind the bike) and either modify that trailer or use the hitch setup for that foldit trailer.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Jeff

search 'welding cart' on ebay and get one for $55.  But they're not collapsable.

The tipke fold-it carts are the coolest, but they're just so damned expensive...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

ccsracer26

Thanks for all the great feedback so far. I really want to get the foldit cart and hope to find one for a reasonable amount. Regardless, I will need some sort of attachment hardware for the pit bike...but I dont have access to any sort of welder.  Anyone out there feel like fabricating something for a fair price?
Ryan Gibson

Woofentino Pugrossi

Really dont need welding. Get a garden tractor 1" (I think thats the size) trailer ball and trailer tongue connector, some u channel and some u bolts.. You could bolt it on. You'd just have to figure out how to bolt it to the swingarm. The pic should give ya an idea. 3/4"X3/4"x3/4" u channel should be strong enough. Its not like you are planning on a 1,000lb tongue weight. :biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

ccsracer26

Thanks for the ideas, this is a lot of help! I was also thinking about something that would bolt into the top of the rear fender close to the back of the seat that the cart handle could just get bungeed to so that I am not putting a large mod on the bike (affecting its functionality possibly) and on the cart (possible affecting its ability to still fold up and/or take up more space.  Has anyone done something close to what I am thinking about?
Thanks,
Ryan Gibson

Jeff

Reasonable priced fabrication?  Sheesh... search out welding cart or torch cart on ebay.  $50.  They work great.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Woofentino Pugrossi

I wouoldnt use anything that hooks to the top of the fender. If you stop and it comes loose, youll get smacked in the back. Also the way I drew it would let teh bike lean when you turn and keep the hitch pint relatively in teh same plane. It can unbolt from the bike and trailer easily for storage. Just have to work on a way to mount it using clevise pins to teh trailer and maybe tighten 4 bolts on the bike.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Team_Serpent

Quote from: ccsracer26 on July 19, 2006, 08:39:47 AM
Thanks for the ideas, this is a lot of help! I was also thinking about something that would bolt into the top of the rear fender close to the back of the seat that the cart handle could just get bungeed to so that I am not putting a large mod on the bike (affecting its functionality possibly) and on the cart (possible affecting its ability to still fold up and/or take up more space.  Has anyone done something close to what I am thinking about?
Thanks,

Yes, that's how I do it. Accept the hitch on the pit bike bolts to the frame spars that provide support for the seat. So it sits just above the rear fender. Don't have any pics right now and I broke my right arm this past weekend so I'm not up to getting things out and hooked up for a picture - sorry.

ccsracer26

Sorry to hear about the arm....hope you feel better.  Did you fabricate it yourself? If not, I would happily buy one off who did it for you.  That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks for your help.  If anyone else knows where to get something like this, let me know.
Cheers,
Ryan
Ryan Gibson

Team_Serpent

yes, fabricated ourselves out of materials from the local hardware store.

ccsracer26

Thanks for the info Jason. Hope the arm heals quickly.  If you ever feel like busting one out when you feel better, I would gladly pay you a reasonble price for it. 
Ryan Gibson

Team_Serpent

I'll see if I can get some pic's for you over the next week or so, to give you some ideas. As far as making one for you I'll have to pass. I barely have enough time to do all my own stuff and keep the family/racing time balance in check - let alone farbricating for others...sorry