Daytona Schedule?

Started by BC61, January 14, 2003, 11:22:48 AM

BC61

Tried to find some info on the site but no luck. This will be my first time at Daytona and trying to get an idea of the practice and race schedule. Anyone know what the general schedule is on the different days from 2/27-3/2? Last years schedule would be helpful.
Thanks

Eric Kelcher

Wed Team Hammer practice day (I think $150)
Thurs practice (included) and team challenge
Fri GT races and Sportsman races
Sat CCS races (SS,SB,GP)
Sun FUSA races
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

flypigs

That's pretty close.  Team Hammer ends up being almost $200 said & done.  If you've never been there, it's probably worth it.  Daytona has a really simple layout, yet I'm still trying to work out the 2 horseshoes, I don't don't know what's so deceptive about them.  

Thursday has about 2 rounds of practice in the AM if you get in Wed to set up.  If not, you'll probably only get 1 round in the morning, and just maybe a round after lunch before the TC starts.  If you don't want to do Hammer, the TC is a decent way to get solid track time.  Make sure you have new tires at the beginning.

I'm still trying to find out the schedule for the club races.. the renewal mailer that they'll be finished by Sat PM, so I can come home, and save a night of Daytona expenses.  

Even w/ all that... I still love Daytona.

Pete

BC61

Are entry fees the same as other regional events? Do they have practice sessions every morning or only on Thursday?

MightyDuc Racing

What's the general opinion on a guy riding his second race ever at Daytona?  I have been told I need special compound tires for it and also am not sure if it pays points for the Florida Region.  There is a race at Moroso two weeks later and I'm not sure if I can afford both (unless I pick up a sponsor  ;D).  Also, I was told that the entry fees are $100/class.  Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Bryan
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

james-redsv

Man are you serious Mighty Duck, you havent even been to race school yet and you are wanting to race at Daytona???? One step at a time dude.

MightyDuc Racing

James...I actually grew up dirt track racing, so I'm not completely new to the game and the speeds, but I am very rusty and new to road racing.  I am pretty much planning on waiting until the October round, but just looking for some info and opinions.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Eric Kelcher

Fees had been first entry 125 (includes gate & practice) and $50 each additional last fall preentry; post entry was like 75 per and did not include gate (practice?)

Special compound tire? no not really needed for DOT but slicks it is required. Not to say that there are not Daytona compounds that are better just you do not need them except for slicks; something to do with heat build up due to sustained high speeds.

1 round of practice each morning for each group; 3-4 rounds on Thursday

Spring Daytona counts for points in Fl. Fall does not
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

flypigs

You don't at all NEED Daytona compound tires, and definitely don't for small bikes.  Only Dunlop, and recently Michelin make them for their slicks and Factory DOT tires.  You will end up using fairly hard compounds.  Pir/Metz med front and endurance rears work fine.

You WILL spend lots of money on tires (well, ok, on everything) at Daytona, especially if it's for a big bike.  If you ride hard, you can go through a set of tires a day there.

Pete

khanson

I started my racing career at Road America and it was way too fast of a track to start on and I had been to 6 track days and 2 riding schools.

I did Daytona in Oct. and that place is incredibly fast.  Turn 1 is definitely a test of your manhood because the turn is blind from being pinned wide open.

You will inhale tires.  To give you an example. A regular compound tire that you run at a regular track will last about 8 laps at Daytona.  The tire bill triples there! It's like firing up the grinder and holding your rear tire to it.

You can save a butt load of cash from skipping Daytona and doing more races elsewhere and learn more.  
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Protein Filled

QuoteYou can save a butt load of cash from skipping Daytona and doing more races elsewhere and learn more.  

Yeah Kevin, but something about being able to say "I raced at daytona" that kind of makes it all OK, regardless of how many tires were wasted or engines blew...  ;)

I agree that taking the Team Hammer school helps getting to know the track, then on Thursday, you can concentrate on setup. If you skip the schoool, you will only have 4 sessions on Thursday to get to learn the track as well as get over the fear of hitting the wall (gulp).  By Friday, you are ready to race as long as you did not break something too bad...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

BC61

Can you get a one time event license for Daytona?