News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Best 600cc race class for newbie racer

Started by svelto916, July 08, 2006, 07:14:56 PM

svelto916

Hi, Just getting back into racing after about 9 years.  I'll do a few (2-4) trackdays a year but miss the excitement of racing.  Bike ='01 R6.

I am looking to race at BHF on 7/15.  My current BHF laptimes are around 1:25.   My first thought was the GTU.   

2 questions, first is what is my best bet for smaller grids, all AM field and  "safer" for me:  GTU or GTO or MW SS sprint race or........ pitbike GP?

2nd, I suspect I'll be OK runing 25-26's,  but if thats "get run over slow" let me know.  I was trying to do some research on average Am's  Blackhawk laptimes and it seems like the 600's its 16's and 1:17's...DANG!!  (I hear that lots of trackday guys wait til they get into the teens before entering a race)

Thanks very much, looking forward to see some old friends and making new ones.

-Cris

Sobottka

gto has smaller grids than gtu and as far as sprint races are concerned, no mw class has small grids. i would try hw or ul ss,sb if smaller grids are what you want. 1:25-26 is not that fast but not too slow, it takes 1:13s -14s to win am races this year :thumb:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Sobottka

if youve raced before, youll probably go faster than 1:25... 9 yrs ago the pavement was pretty bad. bhf was repaved a couple of years ago. see ya there and good luck!!! :cheers:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

svelto916

Thanks Rob, thats second time I heard go GTO rather than GTU.    Just hoping I'll be dicing it up with soemone and  not be a total moving chicane.   See you out there!

-Cris
Am #38

Xian_13

Quote from: svelto916 on July 08, 2006, 09:06:28 PM
Thanks Rob, thats second time I heard go GTO rather than GTU.    Just hoping I'll be dicing it up with soemone and  not be a total moving chicane.   See you out there!

-Cris
Am #38

Want to hear GTO one more time?...

Whatever your pace, there will be some one to dice it up with.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Jason748

Sometimes GP has a smaller field as well, in June it was only 11 bikes on am grid...
and I'll say it too, GTO
I ran 1:20's in June and it my first time at BHF in well over two years.... You'll find someone to run with.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Jeff

the best 600 class?  There isn't one...  Run heavyweight superbike and GTO.  Those classes will have small grids and you will do well in them.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

superspud

Quote from: robsob on July 08, 2006, 08:35:14 PM
gto has smaller grids than gtu and as far as sprint races are concerned, no mw class has small grids. i would try hw or ul ss,sb if smaller grids are what you want. 1:25-26 is not that fast but not too slow, it takes 1:13s -14s to win am races this year :thumb:
+1 for GTO, it's not just am's out there, but you'll still find someone to dice it up with.
CCS MW Am #778

svelto916

Great, looks like GTO and heavyweight classes win.

Few other questions: Do I pick up the lap/scoring module when I signup for the race and is a deposit etc just added to my race fees or is a whole seperate deal?  Can I get my laptimes from the CCS module/printout or should I bring my laptimer?

I am so fired up I don't know how I'm going to get any work done this week...at least I can use racing as the excuse this time.

Thanks again!!   

-Cris
MW AM 38

superspud

Quote from: svelto916 on July 10, 2006, 04:37:48 PM
Great, looks like GTO and heavyweight classes win.

Few other questions: Do I pick up the lap/scoring module when I signup for the race and is a deposit etc just added to my race fees or is a whole seperate deal?  Can I get my laptimes from the CCS module/printout or should I bring my laptimer?

I am so fired up I don't know how I'm going to get any work done this week...at least I can use racing as the excuse this time.

Thanks again!!   

-Cris
MW AM 38
You pick up the transponder when you sign up for your races and drop it off at the same place when you're done with your races for the weekend.  There is no seperate charge for the transponder unless you fail to return it.  CCS usually has your laptimes printed out and posted a session/race or two after you get done with your session/race. 
CCS MW Am #778

Jeff

Bring your lap timer.  You will get times, but you will have to write them down and there are no records of them after the event.

You get your transponder at registration.  In the midwest, there is no extra fee for this (well, $5 for the bracket but that's it).  In the TrackAddix GP region, there is a weekend rental charge.

For the midwest brackets, you mount them on the tail over the rear axle.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Z-man

Quote from: svelto916 on July 08, 2006, 07:14:56 PM
Hi, Just getting back into racing after about 9 years.  I'll do a few (2-4) trackdays a year but miss the excitement of racing.  Bike ='01 R6.

I am looking to race at BHF on 7/15.  My current BHF laptimes are around 1:25.   My first thought was the GTU.  

2 questions, first is what is my best bet for smaller grids, all AM field and  "safer" for me:  GTU or GTO or MW SS sprint race or........ pitbike GP?

2nd, I suspect I'll be OK runing 25-26's,  but if thats "get run over slow" let me know.  I was trying to do some research on average Am's  Blackhawk laptimes and it seems like the 600's its 16's and 1:17's...DANG!!  (I hear that lots of trackday guys wait til they get into the teens before entering a race)

Thanks very much, looking forward to see some old friends and making new ones.

-Cris

+1 for running the GTO and heavyweight/unlimited classes they are much much smaller then GTU, MWSS, MWSB and Middleweight GP.  As far as times go, trust me in a race situation you will drop 1-3 seconds over your first weekend.  Most people do, you will hook up with someone about your speed or you will try to brake a little later or go a bit faster and your times will come down.  Even now I'll run 2-3 seconds slower in practice or on a track day then I will in a race. 

Z
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

endoracing

QuoteWhatever your pace, there will be some one to dice it up with.

Not true. Not when you're as slow as me. In my defense, I only had about 30 mintues total track time on Blackhawk before running my first race event ever, and also highsided in practice the day before so I was a little off my game, but I still didn't see a soul after about turn 3..  well at least not until they came up behind me.

catman

That reminded me of the first second and third hurtles to get over at the beginning and i believe most go through it-1not getting lapped more than 3 times,2-not getting lapped more than 2 times and 3 not getting lapped! This sport has many goals to work towards along the way but its w-a-y fun.It does have a humbling effect for a while.......

endoracing

yeah .. I have no intention of giving up. I know I'm a better rider than the laptimes I put down, I just gotta practice.

svelto916

GTO was a great call, had a blast...You guys were right on all accounts, I did get into the 23's and I did hook up with a guy about my same speed just could not get around him safely. and had a blast trying to.    I ended up coming in early becuase I was just competely exhausted, and was getting pelted from the asphalt his bike was throwing up.  The heat took its toll, bigtime!

After the red flag on GTU I could not get the bike started (for restart) and brought it in. 

The passes made were super clean so thanks again!  That was a great call for a race to get started in.   :thumb:

-Cris
MW AM 38